Sooo...Bayonetta won best chacter? What...?

• 157 results
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By bhhawks78
@Raymayne said:

" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said: 

I assume you're just kidding around but the thing that makes MARSTON great is that he is far from a "john wayne" or typical western hero.  He has humor, he gets angry, he follows people he shouldn't, he's made mistakes in his past and he is trying to redeem himself.  He is trying to make his way through a crazy and violent world and the tragedy that befalls him makes you really feel a lot of him as a character.  He is just so well realized and represented in the game.  And they continued to do a great job with him in Undead Nightmare. "

Dude...go watch any Western. Go play Call of Juarez, Marston is as typical as Western heroes come, such pathetic "Everyman-by-numbers" character design by Rockstar and you seriously think he's the best character of the year? Gtfo. "
Apparently you didn't play redead past the first 30 min. 

Also life is beautiful - better - ex: see halo 2 endurance look when xbox 1 went down. 

30 pts out of 1000 in red dead....yeah you haven't seen shit from Marston MR. Troll.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" The way Brad wrote it made it sound like a tie between Mordin and Bayonetta. "
Funny thing being that even with all of this confusion, he was the only one of the four that fought desperately to keep York from being a finalist.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By musubi

No, no no no people.... 

Bayonetta won best debut game.  As in the "franchise" of bayonetta the "game" not the character.   Mordin won best new character.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By august
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" The way Brad wrote it made it sound like a tie between Mordin and Bayonetta. "
He's gone back and edited it. Originally it was just straight up Bayonetta, with that text that appears on her picture that someone had to go to the trouble to sit down and write.
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By BrittonPeele
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
I have to say I hate when some games journalists seem to want to hate a game just because others like it or just for no reason at all.  How you can love GTA IV and not even give RDR the time of day is beyond comprehension to me.  Just does not make any sense. "
I agree that on paper it doesn't make much sense, but that's exactly how I feel, too... I LOVED GTA IV. Got 100% and named it my personal GOTY that year... Yet try as I might I really had to force myself to play more Red Dead Redemption. I don't know if the Western setting just doesn't do it for me or what, but it's hard for me to get into.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By benjaebe
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Pibo47
@Jimbo: Couldnt agree more. I was bored out of my mind with marston. Mordin actually had some color  and depth. Marston was steven seagal wanna-be.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By napalm
@Jimbo said:

" Marston is just 'Heroic Guy Who Will Die For His Family' who gets pushed around by everybody he meets for 30 hours, then dies for his family. "

Lol, he fucking dies at the end? Thanks for saving me thirty hours, dude! 

@Raymayne said: 

@Stephen_Von_Cloud said: 

I assume you're just kidding around but the thing that makes MARSTON great is that he is far from a "john wayne" or typical western hero.  He has humor, he gets angry, he follows people he shouldn't, he's made mistakes in his past and he is trying to redeem himself.  He is trying to make his way through a crazy and violent world and the tragedy that befalls him makes you really feel a lot of him as a character.  He is just so well realized and represented in the game.  And they continued to do a great job with him in Undead Nightmare. "
Dude...go watch any Western. Go play Call of Juarez, Marston is as typical as Western heroes come, such pathetic "Everyman-by-numbers" character design by Rockstar and you seriously think he's the best character of the year? Gtfo. "
Fucking thank you! Everybody fucking pussypouting about Marston not getting chosen. Jesus people, get some damn perspective.    
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By toowalrus

I never got into Mass Effect, so I can't compare the two, but out of the games I've played this year, Bayonetta is a great choice for Best New Character.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Pibo47

HEY! The page got updated and now it says bayonetta or maybe mordin! YAY! Im happy now. Well, i didnt really care that much before. But whatever. Lets all stop fighting about shit now :)
Link up in hurrr

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Raymayne said:

You should gtfo and go watch a western or play call of juarez... no character in call is even remotely like John Marston, that shows how wrong your comment is right off the bat.  I liked Bound in Blood in particular and though it had some fun characters none were even close to as well written and woven into the plot, it's like comparing a children's book to a real novel. No character there had the the rich motivations involving themselves and society, family ties, and great writing in general that are around Marston in RDR.  I've watched plenty of westerns and I've never seen a character with the same combination of wit, irony, humor, and desire for redemption that makes John Marston such a likable character.  There might be some that are kind of similar but they are usually much more goofy and are sidekicks to the silent, strong hero.  John was a unique character and not giving it to him over Bayonetta is just rewarding boobs and ass and character game play over the actual character and their story.

Now Mordin... I like him, he was fun, but besides a few wild jokes he had that were quite amusing I don't get the big deal.  He certainly didn't make me feel anything.  If he died in the game I wasn't going "Oh shit" and I had to put the game controller down and really think about everything I had seen and how completely tragic it was....

@Napalm

said:

" @Jimbo said:

" Marston is just 'Heroic Guy Who Will Die For His Family' who gets pushed around by everybody he meets for 30 hours, then dies for his family. "

@Raymayne

said: 

@Stephen_Von_Cloud said: 

Fucking thank you! Everybody fucking pussypouting about Marston not getting chosen. Jesus people, get some damn perspective.     "

You are dense man.  You didn't even play the game and you're telling us how he is as a character?  LOL.  That's a good one.  Please keep talking because you are providing valuable insight here guy.  Maybe PERSPECTIVE would be playing the game you are calling other people out over genius.
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#62  Edited By Zippedbinders

I think in terms of writing, Marston is a great character, however the world weary character roped into a life he wants nothing to do with is a bit of a tired trope. York has the benefit of being written well, albeit completely crazy. It fits with the spirit of that world though, he was a compelling character with an ending that paid off in spades. Bayonetta has the benefit of being written well (again, crazy but in agreement with the world she inhabits), a fascinating character who practically commands the attention of the entire game, and on top of all that she stands pretty high on a very small list of good female characters in video games, and not for just the usual reasons. Bonnie McFarlane or Fem Shep could easily fill that role, but Bayonetta uses her commanding presence and sexuality in strangely empowering ways, working as a commentary for both the state of many female game characters and how to turn those negatives into positives. Most well written female game characters could just as often be men without nary a difference, Bayonetta could never work as a man.  

Or maybe I'm talking out of my ass. 

Also, Mordin was great, but I found Thane and Samara far more interesting. I never once used Mordin (or talked to him) after finishing his Loyalty Mission.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HydraHam
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @Raymayne said:

You should gtfo and go watch a western or play call of juarez... no character in call is even remotely like JOhn Marston, that shows how wrong your comment is right off the bat. "
Clearly you have never seen a western movie in your entire life because john marston is your typical gunslinger that has been used in numerous pre 70s spaghetti westerns, there is NOTHING original about him, shit watch modern day westerns, his characteristics even resemble bullock in deadwood.

@bhhawks78 said:

" @Raymayne said:

Apparently you didn't play redead past the first 30 min.  Also life is beautiful - better - ex: see halo 2 endurance look when xbox 1 went down.  30 pts out of 1000 in red dead....yeah you haven't seen shit from Marston MR. Troll. "
  Coming from a guy with a GTA IV avatar which is one of the most overrated and unoriginal games of the decade i would expect such intelligent words, marston isn't original get over it.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By CptBedlam
@Raymayne said:
At least for me the "best character" award does not mean "let's choose the craziest weirdo with the most fucked up background". A normal everyman can very well be an awesome character - presentation of a character is a huge part of the quality as well and in that regard Marston is just awesome and above the other contenders. The voice work was phenomenal, as were his animations. Hell, that's the first game during which I thought to myself that the "acting" of these virtual characters is more convincing than some actual real life actors. It also helps that the script of RDR was awesome as well. Marston for me was the most believable, convincing and likable videogame character this year. Period.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Arguments!

Bayonetta wins.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CptBedlam
@Napalm said:
" @Jimbo said:

Yeah, because that makes the game or character worse or what? 

Anyway, you're missing one of the best games of this year.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Jeffsekai said:
" Bayonetta is the right choice. "
agreed
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CptBedlam
@Styl3s:  Yeah, GTA4-hate ... that's so hip these days. You're among the coolest guys, dude!

Btw: Jeff stated numerous times that he loved GTA4, especially from a story-presentation angle.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By napalm
@CptBedlam said:

" @Napalm said:

" @Jimbo said:

Yeah, because that makes the game or character worse or what?  Anyway, you're missing one of the best games of this year. "
I hated the way GTAIV played, and I did not enjoy the middle section that was bloated with ten hours of filler missions. Red Dead is pretty much the same thing. 

Anyway, my comment wasn't really a snipe at me wanting to not play it, I just thought if that was the true ending that it seemed random because generally, Rockstar lets you continue after you beat the main story. It was more of a, "lolsrsly?" 

@Styl3s said:
" Coming from a guy with a GTA IV avatar which is one of the most overrated and unoriginal games of the decade i would expect such intelligent words, marston isn't original get over it. "
Oh my god, I fucking love you. Have my goddamn babies!
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By cikame

I like Marston alot but i love neutral characters, John Mclaine, Rambo, Terminator (yes).
I vote for Bayonetta because in an industry full of characters of gritty realism, Bayonetta strikes out with a sledge hammer full of crazy and beats you to death with it until there's nothing but a perminant smile on your face.

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 so i looked up alot of videos on Mordin, he's ok but most of the stand out moments i saw i didn't like, the interspecies sex talk and that god awful medical song which if i hear it one more time i'll hurt myself.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Styl3s said:

" @Raymayne said:

You should gtfo and go watch a western or play call of juarez... no character in call is even remotely like JOhn Marston, that shows how wrong your comment is right off the bat. "
Clearly you have never seen a western movie in your entire life because john marston is your typical gunslinger that has been used in numerous pre 70s spaghetti westerns, there is NOTHING original about him, shit watch modern day westerns, his characteristics even resemble bullock in deadwood.
LOL Bullock is  like him? You just showed me you have no idea what you're talking about right there.  Not even close

Bullock qualities: Quiet, strong (the two typical and cliche western hero characteristics) hot headed, disillusionment with authority and some establishment, loyalty to those loyal to him, slow to trust, strong sense of justice, and desires safety of his (brothers') family
 Marston qualities: Not quiet, very talkative and well spoken, strong, great sense of humor, quick wit, seeks redemption for past misdeeds, desperately seeks allies (to a fault), sense of irony, kind heart , desires well being for his family and a new life

Yeah they are actually kind of the opposite besides that they care for their families and are strong.  Good try though.
Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Would have been so hilarious if York won, would have made 2011 for me.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HydraHam
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @Styl3s said:

" @Raymayne said:

LOL Bullock is  like him? You just showed me you have no idea what you're talking about right there.  Not even close Bullock qualities: Quiet, strong (the two typical and cliche western hero characteristics) hot headed, disillusionment with authority and some establishment, loyalty to those loyal to him, slow to trust, desires justice Marston qualities: Not quiet, very talkative and well spoken, strong, great sense of humor, quick wit, seeks redemption for past misdeeds, desperately seeks allies (to a fault), sense of irony, kind heart , desires well being for his family and a new life  Yeah they are actually kind of the opposite.  Good try though. "

Bullock is quite? have you gotten past episode 1?  marston has a sense of humor? quick wit? in what world.

And you say marston has a sense of irony, kind heart and desires well being for his family but bullock doesnt? are you shitting me? GO WATCH DEADWOOD you clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about, marston is one of the most unoriginal characters in video game history if you can't see how unoriginal he is i can't have a conversation with you on the topic because you are delusional and its pathetic.

@CptBedlam said:

" @Styl3s:  Yeah, GTA4-hate ... that's so hip these days. You're among the coolest guys, dude!  Btw: Jeff stated numerous times that he loved GTA4, especially from a story-presentation angle. "

really? hip these days? i haven't heard GTA4 mentioned in over a year but i guess it's hip to have an opinion, i have disliked GTA 4 since day one, and i give a fuck what jeff thinks? why would you even put that in your comment as if jeffs opinion towards anything has influence on what i like and dislike?

hip? no, opinion? yes.
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#74  Edited By donutfever

Should have been Marston or York.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By napalm
@Styl3s: I hate GTAIV on principal because they felt the need to take a story that has probably, a solid fifteen to twenty hours and blow it up into a bloated thirty-plus hour game, and especially one that has unremarkable, frustrating and wonky controls and mechanics.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CptBedlam
@Napalm said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @Napalm said:

" @Jimbo said:

Yeah, because that makes the game or character worse or what?  Anyway, you're missing one of the best games of this year. "
I hated the way GTAIV played, and I did not enjoy the middle section that was bloated with ten hours of filler missions. Red Dead is pretty much the same thing.  Anyway, my comment wasn't really a snipe at me wanting to not play it, I just thought if that was the true ending that it seemed random because generally, Rockstar lets you continue after you beat the main story. It was more of a, "lolsrsly?" "
RS let's you continue after the ending with a neat twist. Now that you got the ending spoiled anyway you might as well read this other spoiler:

You might think it's generic but it's really not. The lead up to this is pretty good and the last few missions of RDR are pretty epic.

I myself never cared about GTA4's story btw even though I completed the game. But RDR is magnitudes better in this regard. Give it a chance and experience it yourself.

Now there are some filler missions in the Mexico-part of the game but it's not NEARLY as bad as the Mafia-crap, that GTA4 lost itself in up until the last mission.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jimbo

I wouldn't call Marston the best character in RDR, let alone the whole year.  His character is entirely dictated by the game structure, because it's the only structure Rockstar know how to use.  The guy is Niko Bellic in a hat.  

As for Juarez, I'd absolutely say that Ray McCall is a better character than Marston.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By napalm
@CptBedlam: I just, fuckin'... I do NOT want to deal with filler missions, man. Rockstar tells interesting stories and they always seemt o feel the neat it bloat the story and make it seem bigger. Niko was a pushover. The beginning, late-middle and end parts were interesting, but the early middle parts with the Mafia were NOT, and I've heard Red Dead Redemption is the same kind of structure. I really don't want to deal with that shit again. I even went back and tried to play IV more than once and after about fifteen hours I just couldn't handle the wonky mechanics and dragging story.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CptBedlam
@Napalm:  There are some filler-missions in the Mexico-part in the game but it's not NEARLY as bad as the Mafia-crap that GTA4 lost itself in for the majority of the game.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By napalm
@CptBedlam said:
" @Napalm:  There are some filler-missions in the Mexico-part in the game but it's not NEARLY as bad as the Mafia-crap that GTA4 lost itself in for the majority of the game. "
But you know what I mean? How long is the story in RDR if that was all I did?
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By HydraHam
@Napalm said:
" @Styl3s: I hate GTAIV on principal because they felt the need to take a story that has probably, a solid fifteen to twenty hours and blow it up into a bloated thirty-plus hour game, and especially one that has unremarkable, frustrating and wonky controls and mechanics. "
I hated everything about GTA IV including the unnecessary bullshit forced phone shit.

NEEEEEEEKO COME PICK ME UP
NEEEEEEEKO LETS GO GET DRUNK
NEEEEEEEKO LETS GO BOWLING 
NEEEEEEEKO COUSIN! COME WIPE MY ASS
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CptBedlam
@Napalm said:
" @CptBedlam said:
" @Napalm:  There are some filler-missions in the Mexico-part in the game but it's not NEARLY as bad as the Mafia-crap that GTA4 lost itself in for the majority of the game. "
But you know what I mean? How long is the story in RDR if that was all I did? "
I know absolutely what you mean. And RDR is better in that regard (but not perfect). The great moments of the game make up for the occasional filler mission though. 

I'd say the story is 15-20 hours long if you don't do the stranger missions. Some of them are great though.
psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#83  Edited By psylah

My vote for best new character goes to Bayonetta, in that they've made a character interesting enough to base a game series on.

But if anything, it speaks volumes about Mass Effect 2 that it has a SIDE CHARACTER that is interesting enough to compare to a MAIN CHARACTER of another franchise in this category, and I can understand why Mordin is being fought over tooth and nail.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Styl3s

said:

" @Styl3s said:

" @Raymayne said:

LOL Bullock is  like him? You just showed me you have no idea what you're talking about right there.  Not even close Bullock qualities: Quiet, strong (the two typical and cliche western hero characteristics) hot headed, disillusionment with authority and some establishment, loyalty to those loyal to him, slow to trust, desires justice Marston qualities: Not quiet, very talkative and well spoken, strong, great sense of humor, quick wit, seeks redemption for past misdeeds, desperately seeks allies (to a fault), sense of irony, kind heart , desires well being for his family and a new life  Yeah they are actually kind of the opposite.  Good try though. "

Bullock is quite? have you gotten past episode 1?  marston has a sense of humor? quick wit? in what world.

And you say marston has a sense of irony, kind heart and desires well being for his family but bullock doesnt? are you shitting me? GO WATCH DEADWOOD you clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about, marston is one of the most unoriginal characters in video game history if you can't see how unoriginal he is i can't have a conversation with you on the topic because you are delusional and its pathetic.

Go read my post where it says: " Yeah they are actually kind of the opposite besides that they care for their families and are strong."  Anyways, Bullock is quiet, just because he talks at all does not mean he is a talkative person.  For example, Al is a talkative character.  Bullock says few words and uses as few as possible to get his point across. If you don't understand that about his character I don't know what else to tell you.  Bullock clearly does not have much of a sense of irony on the show and not that much of a kind heart (since he cheats on his wife while she is not present and then ignores Alma when she is, while Marston makes a point to refuse women in RDR who are not his wife when she isn't present), but yeah, continue on without any proof or examples.  You're making great points here.

I say Marston has a sense of humor when he says funny things about corpses he loots (again, talkative where Bullock is not) or makes jokes about Seth being disgusting or makes his wife and son laugh.  Notice how John has a great social relationship with his family while Seth has an awkward one.  This is all in the world where you played the game, idk if you did if you don't think Marston has a quick wit and sense of humor because at every moment he has an amusing response to the things others say.  Here are some examples:

Irish: I've been working like a beaver on your behalf!
John Marston: You've been working like a weasel on my behalf! 

Abraham Reyes: Sarcasm, my friend, should be beneath a man such as you.
John Marston: Very little is beneath a man such as me.  

(Looting female) "If you were alive, this'd be considered adultery."  

(Looting a victim) "First they shoot you then they rob you. *chuckles* Great country." 

Those are just examples I could find quickly.  If you played the game you'd know he has those characteristics anyways because he uses his wit and humor in every conversation he has.  Wes Dickens in particular, his missions are full of them.

But I'll be "dillusional" and "pathetic" (LOL at that insult, good one)  with my proof while you merely say Marston is cliche without any proof or reason.  If you don't think he is a humorous or quick witted character you didn't play RDR and you are making assumptions, that's the bottom line.
mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By mrjared

There can never be enough praise for Bayonetta. Game of the Generation, baybee!

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By donutfever
@Napalm: RDR took me 17 hours overall to complete, and I did some side missions.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Jimbo
@Napalm said:
" @CptBedlam said:
But you know what I mean? How long is the story in RDR if that was all I did? "
They do a better job of making the side-missions at least somewhat related to the main storyline.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By napalm
@MrJared said:
" There can never be enough praise for Bayonetta. Game of the Generation, baybee! "
OH WHAT, NO SUPER IV? TRAITOR. HERESY! 

@DonutFever said:
" @Napalm: RDR took me 17 hours overall to complete, and I did some side missions. "
It's nice to hear this. IV was a lot longer and had a shitton more filler with the main missions.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By august
@Styl3s:  Bullock is a socially awkward middle-class idealist who lets his mouth get him in trouble and sleeps around on a woman who loves him. Marsten is a smoother (anyone is compared to Bullokc, really) former street urchin bank-robber who can get along with pretty much anyone (almost to a fault.)

You're really going to have to come up with concrete examples of how the two characters are similar aside from generally being good guys who shoot people with revolvers occasionally.
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By donutfever
@Napalm: Once you get out of Mehico theres pretty much no filler. 
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91  Edited By lucas_kelly

I don't agree with either of those choices at all. 
I though Thane was easily the best character in Mass Effect 2, but still my favorite character this year was by far John Marston.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By TomA

I only played the demo for Bayonetta, but I can say i liked her better than Mordin. Besides, if anyone was going to win best character from ME2, it would be Garrus Vakarian. For being awesome.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BigBoss1911

Meh, Bayonetta doesent hold a candle to John Marsten, its just an opinion though.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By HydraHam
@august said:
" @Styl3s:  Bullock is a socially awkward middle-class idealist who lets his mouth get him in trouble and sleeps around on a woman who loves him. Marsten is a smoother (anyone is compared to Bullokc, really) former street urchin bank-robber who can get along with pretty much anyone (almost to a fault.)   You're really going to have to come up with concrete examples of how the two characters are similar aside from generally being good guys who shoot people with revolvers occasionally. "
Watch all 3 seasons, come back and tell me they don't share alot of characteristics, i didn't say they were carbon fucking copies the point i am trying to make is marston isn't original, that character has been playing many of spaghetti westerns, you people act like the character was a stroke of fucking genius.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By august

Really, the whole debate of comparing cross-genre fictional characters is pretty dumb.

GUYS MICHAEL CORLEONE IS A TOTALLY FAG COMPARED TO HAMLET AND ALSO HE IS AN INSULT TO ITALIAN-AMERICANS SCREW THAT GUY IF YOU LIKE HIM YOU ARE A BAD PERSON

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Styl3s said:

" @august said:

" @Styl3s:  Bullock is a socially awkward middle-class idealist who lets his mouth get him in trouble and sleeps around on a woman who loves him. Marsten is a smoother (anyone is compared to Bullokc, really) former street urchin bank-robber who can get along with pretty much anyone (almost to a fault.)   You're really going to have to come up with concrete examples of how the two characters are similar aside from generally being good guys who shoot people with revolvers occasionally. "

Watch all 3 seasons, come back and tell me they don't share alot of characteristics, i didn't say they were carbon fucking copies the point i am trying to make is marston isn't original, that character has been playing many of spaghetti westerns, you people act like the character was a stroke of fucking genius. "
Yep so you have no proof.  That's settled I guess.  I've seen all of Deadwood and played through RDR.  John's brilliance isn't in his originality because of course he isn't wholly unique, even though he is quite unique for a western hero.  The greatness of his character is in all the elements of him in the game. His writing, design, art, animation, voice work, and how he fits into the story is leagues beyond any other character this year.

(CptBedlam here is right on)
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CptBedlam
@Styl3s said:

" @august said:

Watch all 3 seasons, come back and tell me they don't share alot of characteristics, i didn't say they were carbon fucking copies the point i am trying to make is marston isn't original, that character has been playing many of spaghetti westerns, you people act like the character was a stroke of fucking genius. "
I will just quote myself from two pages back:

" At least for me the "best character" award does not mean "let's choose the craziest weirdo with the most fucked up background". A normal everyman can very well be an awesome character - presentation of a character is a huge part of the quality as well and in that regard Marston is just awesome and above the other contenders. The voice work was phenomenal, as were his animations. Hell, that's the first game during which I thought to myself that the "acting" of these virtual characters is more convincing than some actual real life actors. It also helps that the script of RDR was awesome as well. Marston for me was the most believable, convincing and likable videogame character this year. Period. "
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By august
@Styl3s said:
" @august said:
I've watched all 3 seasons several times. I'm asking you to be specific.
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By donutfever
@Styl3s said:
" @Napalm said:
" @Styl3s: I hate GTAIV on principal because they felt the need to take a story that has probably, a solid fifteen to twenty hours and blow it up into a bloated thirty-plus hour game, and especially one that has unremarkable, frustrating and wonky controls and mechanics. "
I hated everything about GTA IV including the unnecessary bullshit forced phone shit. NEEEEEEEKO COME PICK ME UP NEEEEEEEKO LETS GO GET DRUNK NEEEEEEEKO LETS GO BOWLING  NEEEEEEEKO COUSIN! COME WIPE MY ASS "
Those Ass-Wiping mini-games did get fairly tedious, now that you mention it.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#100  Edited By benpack

Bayonetta's character development is about as small as her hips are wide.