#1 Posted by Herk (192 posts) -

Hey! I just stood outside my shower trying to listen for the switch between cold and hot water, didn't hear anything, gave up and went in anyway. The sneaky bastard had switched from cold to hot without giving off any hints.

Does Ryan just imagine that he can hear stuff like this?

#2 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@herk: Do you have exactly the same plumbing and shower system as Ryan?

Probably not.

#3 Edited by Herk (192 posts) -

@canteu Well, he said he could hear from how the water sounded when it hit the tiles, so any plumbing system wouldn't make a difference. Maybe the secret is in the tile type...

#4 Edited by Jimbo (9815 posts) -

@herk said:

@canteu Well, he said he could hear from how the water sounded when it hit the tiles, so any plumbing system wouldn't make a difference. Maybe the secret is in the tile type...

I have no idea what this is in reference to, but the 'secret' will be the pressure dropping as the system responds to the demand for hot water. ie. the water is no longer hitting the tiles as hard / the same angle / whatever.

#5 Posted by LikeaSsur (1533 posts) -

The secret is hearing the same thing for so long that your brain craves the slightest change in pitch, so you pick up on it eventually.

#6 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It may depend on pipes/age of your abode. I used to live in an old-ass apartment and there was a definite difference in pitch between cold and hot water running through the pipes to my shower.

#7 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1055 posts) -

I haven't listened to the latest bombcast so im not %100 sure what you are talking about, but i can hear the difference between when cold water changes to hot in most of the faucets in my house. I can also hear a slight difference when i pour hot and cold water into a cup.

#8 Edited by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I can just tell because of the steam, that seems like the easier solution to me.

#9 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Never trust Ryan.

#10 Posted by Nightriff (5093 posts) -

FUCK RYAN DAVIS!

Nah, I eventually was able to tell with my shower growing up, I can't stand in the shower while it is cold waiting for it to warm up, I only get in when it is finally warm

#11 Posted by TheHT (11300 posts) -

Mike Litoris420

#12 Posted by Herk (192 posts) -

@mikkaq: That does seem smarter. It would take a little more time to wait for the steam to become visible enough to see than to hear the change happening, though

#13 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

I can tell based on the sound as well. But that has to do with the water pressure.

#14 Posted by alternate (2707 posts) -

Well cold water droplets are heavier than hot water, as part of the hot water evaporates as steam before it hits the tiles. So in theory you could detect a sound difference. In reality his brain has likely learned roughly how long it takes his shower to heat up and signals to him that it is ready with a perceived audio change.

#15 Posted by Nights (614 posts) -

The secret is hearing the same thing for so long that your brain craves the slightest change in pitch, so you pick up on it eventually.

Exactly.