#1 Posted by pickassoreborn (522 posts) -

Much as I love me some Bombcast, this week's edition had a touch of the spoilers about it - mild spoilers, though spoilers all the same. I'm currently playing through Bioshock Infinite - I normally don't buy current games as soon as they appear, but I decided to make a bit of an exception in that the hype was too good to resist. So far, so good. I secretly noted that I'll be side-stepping all the spoiler-type stuff which the Bombcast usually puts out there a few weeks after a game's release.

So the chatter about the ending of Bioshock Infinite was mildly infuriating, especially since they announced that there would be a special "Spoilercast" for the game. All that chatter which went on in the latest Bombcast? Save it for that! Mr. Klepek seems to like teasing stuff like spoilers but in a way that actually slightly spoils things. Only slightly. A soupcon of a spoiler, but a spoiler all the same. The chat about comparing the ending to a certain movie director and then a certain movie? Fuck that. Cheers, Patrick. Now I have that exact fucking movie in my head when I play Bioshock Infinite.

I also noted he was itching to reveal the twist of the latest Army of Two game even though it's only been out there for a single week. What gives?

Maybe it's the beard.

#2 Edited by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

Did they say which movie they were talking about ? What was it (just curious) ?

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

OH MY GOD. "it reminds me of a movie" is NOT a spoiler.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

I don't think you could possibly know which movie until you have completed it. Also, who cares about the plot in Army of Two?

#5 Edited by ModernAlkemie (358 posts) -

Seriously? They did not say anything that even remotely spoiled plot points of the game!

I think the movie comparison is simply to compare how after watching some movies you spend a good time afterward trying to pick apart the plot and might want to see the film again to better understand it. That is all they were saying, and also why they talked about the comparison of the game to some of Kubrick's work where people try to pick apart all kinds of details put into the game.

It really seems like you are projecting expectations onto what they are saying and looking for spoilers where there are none.

#6 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

Wasn't it Brad and not Patrick who was using the movie comparison?

#7 Posted by handlas (2661 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

Wasn't it Brad and not Patrick who was using the movie comparison?

Yes lol... blaming Patrick for something Brad said. Not to mention he said absolutely nothing other than "it reminds me of a movie." Beat the game... nothing on the podcast was spoilerish

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8025 posts) -

The chat about comparing the ending to a certain movie director and then a certain movie? Fuck that. Cheers, Patrick. Now I have that exact fucking movie in my head when I play Bioshock Infinite.

Um, what? The director Patrick mentioned was Kubrick, because he directed The Shining, because The Shining is a movie that people have devoted a fuckton of time to in search of hidden themes and meaning. This game has fuck all to do with The Shining outside of the fact that people are talking about it a lot. Do you think at some point Elizabeth is going to be locked in a bedroom and Comstock is going to chop his way through and say, "Here's Zachy!" or something?

I guarantee you the movie Brad (IIRC) was thinking about is not a Kubrick movie.

Did they say which movie they were talking about ? What was it (just curious) ?

No, Brad (IIRC) said it reminded him of a movie, but did not specify which one.

#9 Posted by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

IIRC, Brad didn't even say that the events reminded him of a movie. He said that the way it made him feel afterwards was similar to how he felt after watching a certain movie.

#10 Posted by DarkShaper (1322 posts) -

This doesn't qualify as grasping at straws, this is grasping at what you think MIGHT be straws.

#11 Posted by Avanzato (82 posts) -

I got spoiled to the ending of infinite on a Gamespot Twitch chat and as Jeff has said knowing it doesn't make that much difference to the game. In fact I picked up on clues that I'd normally need a second play through to notice.

Also as has been said above nothing on the Bombcast was spoiler, even having finished the game I couldn't be 100% sure what Brad was alluding to.

#12 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Man, people look for a reason to get upset about everything--and it wasn't even Patrick! I've played through the game and they didn't spoil anything.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Is this real life?

#14 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

lol

#15 Edited by altairre (1130 posts) -

I am currently playing through Infinite and I listened to the bombcast. There is absolutely nothing in there that is anywhere near to being a spoiler. All those "oh god, spoiler" people are fucking insane.

If you care so much about it then don't listen to podcasts that discuss recent videogames. I didn't listen to the Mass Effect 3 episodes until I finished it because I didn't want to know anything about it but there are few games I have that kind of investment in and like I said if that's the case just wait until you finish it.

Also no one gives a shit about the plot of Army of Two and they didn't even spoil that.

#16 Posted by villainy (538 posts) -

The only thing that annoyed me was how they started off saying they'd have a spoilercast and didn't want to talk about in this podcast because they'd be tiptoeing around all the potential spoilers... Then went on for a good while tiptoeing around spoilers.

#17 Posted by CaLe (3912 posts) -

This sounds like a problem you've given yourself.

#18 Edited by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

Nothing about that podcast spoiled anything about the end of that game. I'll spoil the game as much as they did right now. Ready? Hey, something big and potentially confusing happens at the end of the game.

#19 Edited by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

@jasonr86: Hey man you mind spoiler tagging that? Jesus.

#20 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Much as I love me some Bombcast, this week's edition had a touch of the spoilers about it - mild spoilers, though spoilers all the same. I'm currently playing through Bioshock Infinite - I normally don't buy current games as soon as they appear, but I decided to make a bit of an exception in that the hype was too good to resist. So far, so good. I secretly noted that I'll be side-stepping all the spoiler-type stuff which the Bombcast usually puts out there a few weeks after a game's release.

So the chatter about the ending of Bioshock Infinite was mildly infuriating, especially since they announced that there would be a special "Spoilercast" for the game. All that chatter which went on in the latest Bombcast? Save it for that! Mr. Klepek seems to like teasing stuff like spoilers but in a way that actually slightly spoils things. Only slightly. A soupcon of a spoiler, but a spoiler all the same. The chat about comparing the ending to a certain movie director and then a certain movie? Fuck that. Cheers, Patrick. Now I have that exact fucking movie in my head when I play Bioshock Infinite.

I also noted he was itching to reveal the twist of the latest Army of Two game even though it's only been out there for a single week. What gives?

Maybe it's the beard.

I was worried about the very same thing, but I beat the game last night and had literally zero spoiled for me. Don't worry.

#21 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Don't listen to a show about video games and not expect them to talk about video games.

#22 Edited by EXTomar (4505 posts) -

How is saying "It reminds me of a movie" any type of a spoiler? For the love of god people are too touchy about spoilers.

#23 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

Holy shit stop being a crybaby. I knew *exactly* what you were going to complain about as soon as I saw the title of the thread.

-----------

Also, Elizabeth isn't real and the player was Tyler Durden the whole time. And he was dead the whole time. And the totem stopped spinning after the cut-to-black.

#24 Posted by TheHT (10904 posts) -

Is this real life?

Non. C'est illusoire.

#25 Edited by MEATBALL (3076 posts) -

As mentioned above, it was Brad, not Patrick. It didn't seem like a big deal to me, but I'd already finished, Brad wasn't even specific about the film or director.

And Patrick was itching to know about the Army of Two twist just because it was being discussed and it had already been spoilt in the Quick Look, I can understand feeling like it might be okay to talk about it if the site has already spoilt it elsewhere, I don't think Patrick was being a jerk and it was ultimately decided not to spoil the twist so what does it matter?

#26 Posted by Rafaelfc (1316 posts) -

grow a thicker skin. and if you are really that sensitive about spoilers, just stop listening to game discussion altogether, this whining benefits no one.

#27 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, GET OVER IT.

#28 Posted by MethodMan008 (806 posts) -

Are you being for real?

#29 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Spoiler: Brad Shoemocker is Austrian.

#30 Posted by Pudge (869 posts) -

Didn't they spoil the Army of Two twist in the Quick Look? And 10 minutes before Jeff predicted it verbatim. If it's that predictable, it barely even counts as a twist.

#31 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@pickassoreborn: For shorter games, I kind of think its fair to say finish the game prior to consuming gaming related coverage. Isn't bioshock equiv to 4 bombcasts?

#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (15848 posts) -

I don't think Patrick has even beaten the game...

#33 Edited by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

I don't think Patrick has even beaten the game...

May as well just yell at him for good measure.

#34 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

@pickassoreborn said:

The chat about comparing the ending to a certain movie director and then a certain movie? Fuck that. Cheers, Patrick.

You mean when Brad compared how he felt after Infinite to how he felt after a certain completely unspecified movie, stressing that it did not remind him of the actual movie?

Or when Patrick who has not completed the game compared the way people try to pick apart every little detail of Infinite to Room 237 (People picking apart every little detail of The Shining), not even implying that Infinite has anything to do with The Shining?

I really don't think it's the beard. Neither Brad's or Patrick's.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8025 posts) -

I just listened to the podcast again. Ryan is the one that brings up Kubrick, not Patrick.

Lol, this thread.

#36 Posted by ShaggE (6336 posts) -

Spoiler fear is getting out of hand... soon people will be bashing the games themselves for spoiling the story by the sheer act of telling the story.

#37 Posted by The_Nubster (2052 posts) -

This reminds me of the time people were getting upset because Brad talked about a moment in DmC where the world turned in to a chalkboard to show you your next objective, and then a good chunk of the community lambasted him for "spoiling" the game.

I would think that people who play a lot of video games, watch a lot of video game videos, and listen to video game-related podcasts would be better equipped to deal with video game reviewers talking about popular video games.