#1 Posted by LordJezo (82 posts) -

Is it that hard to find frozen supermarket steak on the west coast or are these guys just a bunch of hipsters who don't shop in normal supermarkets?

Over here on the east coast you can get as many frozen sliced sandwich steaks as you want. Just look at that freezer section, every store in the land over here has something similar. The Bombcast is all on dust and not living like normal people do.

#2 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3012 posts) -

Yeah they are hard to find. Fuckin aye $3.79 on sale is just a crime.

#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (4558 posts) -

Yeah they are hard to find. Fuckin aye $3.79 on sale is just a crime.

Especially when flavor is sold separately.

#4 Posted by Yesiamaduck (899 posts) -

Somehow I thought they'd be a lot cheaper than that..... what a reep off

#5 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3012 posts) -

That's a pretty good slogan on the box, "Ingredients: Just Beef"

#6 Edited by Hamst3r (4451 posts) -

I have never seen a steak-umm in a California grocery store.

#7 Posted by LordJezo (82 posts) -

So Steak-Ums even had a Superbowl commercial.

You Cali people are terrible with your sliced frozen steaks.

#8 Edited by Marcsman (3116 posts) -

America's favorite sliced steak?

WOW

#9 Posted by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

I've lived in multiple states and Steak-Umms have been easy to find in every one of them. Never tried looking in the Bay Area, though.

#10 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

I live near Seattle and have never had an issue finding them, so its not a west coast thing, probably just a California thing.

#11 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I live in Los Angeles and NEVER in my 34 years have I seen a steak umm.

#12 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

They are at Oregon grocery stores sometimes... at least I remember seeing a Steak Umm right after watching that bit and laughing about it.

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

I've never seen them before in my life; why wouldn't you buy roast beef from the deli counter, seems like it would be a lot better quality.

#14 Edited by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

I've never seen them before until the other day when I was in the local Albertson's and spotted them when I was picking up some frozen snacks for the Super Bowl. Thought about buying them but that video doesn't exist anymore on how to make the perfect philly cheese steak...

For anyone who hasn't seen this magic before

#15 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2563 posts) -

Unless Steak-umms have changed in the past 10 years they sure-as-shit aren't "sliced anything". A Steak-umm is pureed meat that is rolled out and pressed in to 3 x 5 shingles. They fry up and taste fine, for the most part, but they sure as hell are not 'sliced beef'.

#16 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I've never seen them before in my life; why wouldn't you buy roast beef from the deli counter, seems like it would be a lot better quality.

or looking at those prices in the photos in this thread, just buy a friggin steak and make a much better sammich than steak umms.

#17 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

Steak-umms are hard to find like how Ebola is hard to find.

Why would you try to find it?

#18 Edited by LordJezo (82 posts) -

A Steam-umm is pureed meat that is rolled out and pressed in to 3 x 5 shingles. .

Yeah and how do those shingles get into 3 x 5 pieces?

They are sliced to that size.

#19 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2563 posts) -

@lordjezo said:

@monkeyking1969 said:

A Steak-umm is pureed meat that is rolled out and pressed in to 3 x 5 shingles. .

Yeah and how do those shingles get into 3 x 5 pieces?

They are sliced to that size.

Well, you are correct about that...

At one point Steak-umm sued a real Philly Cheese steak place, during the legal proceedings, the secret of what exactly a Steak-umm is made of was revealed.

[C]hopped and formed emulsified meat product that is comprised of beef trimmings left over after an animal is slaughtered and all of the primary cuts, such as tenderloin, filet, and rib eye, are removed ... The emulsified meat is pressed into a loaf and sliced, frozen and packaged.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-by-far-the-most-disgusting-steak-product-americans-eat-2012-4#ixzz2sZM8KBVI