Suggestion: Live Bombcast on Monday for Subscribers.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

Instead of splitting the bombcast and lowering the quality (I don't want Wiiware in the first hour), I think it would be a great incentive to get a subscription if subscribers got the bombcast a day early (listening to it live), and that way, they would get to hear stuff that usually gets cut out, such as wild tangents going off topic and such. Although it would likely take around 3 hours to listen to (I'm sure they take frequent breaks, unnoticeable after the editing), I'm sure the subscriber base would love it, since they get to listen to the bombcast a day early, and they already are proving their dedication to the site by paying money, so I think this would be a win/win situation.

edit: if not this, then maybe just a release of the unedited bombcast on Monday? Subs will still get a tangible benefit besides the already awesome ability to download videos (love listening to the P4 ER while on the bus).

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Or, have it Tuesdays for subscribers and Thursdays for non subscribers. Both times in full. Non subsscribers will just have to wait two days.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mcfart
@LiquidPrince said:
" Or, have it Tuesdays for subscribers and Thursdays for non subscribers. Both times in full. Non subsscribers will just have to wait two days. "
I don't really like that idea, since we'd have to pay to get what used to be free. Also, I don't remember paying for a podcast, ever. It would seem better if subscribers got an actual benefit rather then "well, guess I gotta pay to get what used to be free".
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sanryd

Seems like a decent idea, but at the rate the subs are coming in and the extension that was made, I think we won't have to worry about it too much. I mean, there were 4400 in the first day alone; if we can't get 600 more in 4 more days then that's just crazy.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mcfart
@tdk08 said:
" Seems like a decent idea, but at the rate the subs are coming in and the extension that was made, I think we won't have to worry about it too much. I mean, there were 4400 in the first day alone; if we can't get 600 more in 4 more days then that's just crazy. "
This is for the future. I think free members should get the full thing on Tues, however, I would totally pay to get the bombcast on Monday!
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By commandercup

I'd like this idea to be taken a step further and have the bombcast recording filmed and livestreamed so we can see them recording. The TWiT network does that and it seems to work out well for Leo. Just audio live would be awesome too though.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mcfart
@commandercup said:
" I'd like this idea to be taken a step further and have the bombcast recording filmed and livestreamed so we can see them recording. The TWiT network does that and it seems to work out well for Leo. Just audio live would be awesome too though. "
Who wants to watch 4 sweaty men sit at a table (unless they're cowering from a spider)?
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Mcfart said:
" Instead of splitting the bombcast and lowering the quality (I don't want Wiiware in the first hour), I think it would be a great incentive to get a subscription if subscribers got the bombcast a day early (listening to it live), and that way, they would get to hear stuff that usually gets cut out, such as wild tangents going off topic and such. Although it would likely take around 3 hours to listen to (I'm sure they take frequent breaks, unnoticeable after the editing), I'm sure the subscriber base would love it, since they get to listen to the bombcast a day early, and they already are proving their dedication to the site by paying money, so I think this would be a win/win situation.  edit: if not this, then maybe just a release of the unedited bombcast on Monday? Subs will still get a tangible benefit besides the already awesome ability to download videos (love listening to the P4 ER while on the bus). "
When enough people support this send a like to the staff and see if they respond.
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By commandercup
@Mcfart:  I would, especially for when and if they taste test stuff. It's sort of like how people enjoy the animations that were stickied in the forums for a while... seeing is more fun than just hearing. Leo Laporte's TWiT network is arguably the largest podcasting network and they livestream video of their podcasts (so does Cnet I think) and lots of people watch those.

Plus you can livestream it through the Giant Bomb page so people can chat about what's being discussed live.
Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Nunchuckles
@Mcfart: I like watching 4 sweaty men..... iono, just wanted to be part of the conversation....
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mcfart
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Mcfart said:
" Instead of splitting the bombcast and lowering the quality (I don't want Wiiware in the first hour), I think it would be a great incentive to get a subscription if subscribers got the bombcast a day early (listening to it live), and that way, they would get to hear stuff that usually gets cut out, such as wild tangents going off topic and such. Although it would likely take around 3 hours to listen to (I'm sure they take frequent breaks, unnoticeable after the editing), I'm sure the subscriber base would love it, since they get to listen to the bombcast a day early, and they already are proving their dedication to the site by paying money, so I think this would be a win/win situation.  edit: if not this, then maybe just a release of the unedited bombcast on Monday? Subs will still get a tangible benefit besides the already awesome ability to download videos (love listening to the P4 ER while on the bus). "
When enough people support this send a like to the staff and see if they respond. "
I'd like to hope the staff come up with this without community petitions, since as of now, I can see many monthly members unscribing if they don't see a tangible benefit to paying money.
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sanryd
@Mcfart said:
" @tdk08 said:
" Seems like a decent idea, but at the rate the subs are coming in and the extension that was made, I think we won't have to worry about it too much. I mean, there were 4400 in the first day alone; if we can't get 600 more in 4 more days then that's just crazy. "
This is for the future. I think free members should get the full thing on Tues, however, I would totally pay to get the bombcast on Monday! "
Well then it's a win/win! I plan on subscribing ASAP, and it would be great to hear it even earlier than normal. This whole subscription thing has been met with so much backlash, myself included, but I'm starting to realize that it'll make it that much easier for them to start doing things they couldn't do before.
Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Popogeejo

Ryan said one of the reasons he has to spend time editing the bombcast was to remove things they weren't allowed to talk about. You can't do that kind of editing on the fly so if they did livecasts they'd eventually get themselves into legal trouble. Nice idea though.

Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nunchuckles

I think its a good idea.  But I think they can just give the subscribers the regular edited bombcast on Monday, and give the bombcast to non-subscribers on Tuesday as usual.  This would just mean that Ryan would have to work harder.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By commandercup
@Mcfart said:
" I'd like to hope the staff come up with this without community petitions, since as of now, I can see many monthly members unscribing if they don't see a tangible benefit to paying money. "
But there are tangible benefits? Although I do think it would be awesome if they implemented this without having to get everyone to ask for it.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ReyGitano
@tdk08 said:
I had no idea we're so close! Awesome! 
@Popogeejo
said:
" Ryan said one of the reasons he has to spend time editing the bombcast was to remove things they weren't allowed to talk about. You can't do that kind of editing on the fly so if they did livecasts they'd eventually get themselves into legal trouble. Nice idea though. "
Yeah, there's no way they'd be able to do a live podcast every week and not mess up.
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mcfart
@Popogeejo said:
" Ryan said one of the reasons he has to spend time editing the bombcast was to remove things they weren't allowed to talk about. You can't do that kind of editing on the fly so if they did livecasts they'd eventually get themselves into legal trouble. Nice idea though. "
my face

it is sad
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Mcfart said:

I like your idea, but here's a couple of points:

Firstly, you're still going to get the full Bombcast since you're a subscriber. Everything will be in its normal place, and it won't be reorganized or reedited or anything. You're getting the normal, complete version.

I, like many others, cannot sit down to watch three hours of video, because I have other things to do. I still like your idea though, but if it were to go ahead in this thought exercise, that three hour version would have to be converted to MP3, unedited as you say, with all the crazy tangents and illicit portions. It's highly unlikely that will happen though. 

As such, I cannot lend my support to you, Sir, primarily because I would much rather they just put out a second, exclusive (but it doesn't have to be exclusive) podcast. This podcast, in my mind, would be sixty minutes long; it would have a rotating cast of Whiskey folks from the four manned websites; and it would be wildly off-topic. They would just talk about random crap, and about anecdotes et cetera.
JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JauntyHat
@Mcfart said:
" @Popogeejo said:
my face  it is sad "

Double crap. I figured this to be one of the best ideas for a subscription service yet but that's a legitimate argument against
 it.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat
@Popogeejo said:
This is what I was going to post. It's good enough reason not to do it. It also makes a video bombcast unlikely.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raviolisumo

There's too much editing and stuff to make a live show viable.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DetectiveSpecial
@AlisterCat said:
" @Popogeejo said:
This is what I was going to post. It's good enough reason not to do it. It also makes a video bombcast unlikely. "
It is a good enough reason to start with, however........once these guys begin to accept financial incentive for doing the podcast, it isn't unreasonable for them to exhibit a bit of self control while doing it live. It would just take more effort on their part, but they would be getting paid to do so.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By jeff

We like the idea of keeping the podcast as an audio piece, even though, stupidly enough, doing it as a video would make it make some kind of additional business sense. Four guys sitting around microphones would make for boring viewing. We'd rather put energy into figuring out additional, separate video things (Video Things?) that we can do. If we didn't have to play and review all of these pesky video games, we could just do live video 24/7. Tuesday could be "Drew stands in front of a green screen while all hell breaks loose" day!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#24  Edited By alistercat
@DetectiveSpecial:  The lack of restraint is what makes the bombcast so good for some people, and having something in the back of your mind all the time like that is bound to have negative effects. I've seen interviews with comedians who used to do children's TV and they're said it's really hard to give a good performance while in the back of your head you're saying "must not swear, must not swear, must not swear".
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DetectiveSpecial
@AlisterCat said:
" @DetectiveSpecial:  The lack of restraint is what makes the bombcast so good for some people, and having something in the back of your mind all the time like that is bound to have negative effects. I've seen interviews with comedians who used to do children's TV and they're said it's really hard to give a good performance while in the back of your head you're saying "must not swear, must not swear, must not swear". "
Absolutely agreed. I was rationalizing the thought, but don't really think it would make for an entertaining podcast either. 
Also, I've watched hours of children's television, all the while thinking "Gosh, I really hope someone fucks up and swears." Go figure.
dulmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By dulmonkey

I'm not really big on the video podcast idea. I am totally sold on the drew green screen thing. Also, can we get a video thing where Brad photobombs stuff?

dudewhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dudewhat

I think subscribers would like a video podcast of all of the whiskey media podcasts instead. It wouldn't cost whiskey media any more to make and would add value to subscriber without taking away value from non-subscribers.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Gabriel

How's Vinny gonna be racist then?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By big_jon

THIS IS A MUCH BETTER IDEA THAN SPLITTING IT UP. 

Opps capps
JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JauntyHat
@Jeff said:
" ....Tuesday could be "Drew stands in front of a green screen while all hell breaks loose" day! "
Can you do that anyways?
Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hooded

No live podcast, i find with most live podcasts, the chat distracts the guys who are recording. Keep it recorded only, that way they can have breaks and edit out things that wont get them in trouble. 

Recording video of the podcast would be pretty pointless for a lot of listeners / watchers, its a big file to download and I sure as hell dont have time to sit down and watch 2 hours of guys talking. I'd just listen to it and not bother watching.

I like the idea of a seperate podcast for subscribers, 4 or so people from all of the Whiskey Media websites, record for an hour or so talking offtopic, like what they got upto on the weekend, I do enjoy that the most from the bombcast. 

+

that could very well sway people to subscribe, something that Whiskey Media would like :)
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Skytylz

That'd be cool a livestream of the recording.

Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Jayzz

Maybe not a live broadcast, but have the podcast be available monday night for subs, tuesday for non-subs?

Marlowefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Marlowefire

Yeah they just got all that live video streaming stuff. Why not stream the recording of the podcast for subscribers. Does Justin tv have a password option?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX
@Marlowefire said:
" Yeah they just got all that live video streaming stuff. Why not stream the recording of the podcast for subscribers. Does Justin tv have a password option? "
because 
1. password would leak to non subscribers anyway that method 
2. As has been previously stated, they edit out the stuff they later found out they couldn't talk about. Doing it live might get them in trouble 
3. Jeff posted above you shooting it down.
Marlowefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marlowefire

Damn