The 2013 GOTY discussions different than previous years.

• 72 results
SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@somberowl said:

I've been saying this all over the forums but I'm still upset Ni No Kuni: Wraith of The White Witch didn't get more recognition this year.

It's absence was particularly noticeable in the Best music. I was absolutely stunned it didn't even enter the conversation. I'd understand if no one played it, but Brad and Alex spent enough time with it to bring in Mr. Drippy for best new character. It was a Goddamned shame.

I made this exact point about the music in some other post. I pointed out that the game was orchestrated by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That's because most of the ground breaking games this year were not liked by everybody. It was a divisive year I guess.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

They were too respectful. I want fucking blood.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It did seem a little different. I think there was just a general sentiment of it being a lackluster year, which I disagree with. Some of the fervor from past years just wasn't as strong this year.

I think it was that there were a lot more smaller games that only certain people really loved and the fight for getting their game into the top 10 was where the battle rather than this group thinks this game is number 1 while this other group thinks this other game is number 1.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@xanadu said:

Ya Brad was definitely being a jerk for no reason. I guess no one else on the bombcast had felt strongly enough to argue otherwise but gta v's mission design was not "fuuuuuuuuuuuucking boooooooring". Brad also said before he's never finished a single gta game. I guess I'm a gta apologist though? I really loved that game and I think the voice acting and motion capture work was gravely under appreciated by most people.

I think Brad does something like that every GOTY, where there is one game he is totally unwilling to concede anything to, whether to keep it or toss it. I think he was so close to literally whining that DOTA 2 wasn't the #1 pick on their list. Everybody else was content with the way the list was and he was still begging for them to bump DOTA up. Don't get me wrong, I like Brad a lot, but sometimes during the GOTY podcasts, he acts kinda like a baby.

Brad gets pretty ruthless during GOTY discussions, and will tear down a game he probably likes if it will help a game he favors more. My favorite moment this year was Patrick totally calling him out in the "best music" category. He was trying to shit on Rayman because they weren't the original versions of the song, before Patrick pointed out that Bioshock was nothing but re-worked versions of the songs.... and Brad realized he was totally caught in a bullshit line of reasoning and shut up quickly. It actually brought laughs from a few of them.

I feel Brad and Jeff will say things they don't even really believe to win arguments during GOTY. Vinny is mostly positive and reasonable. Patrick seems too willing to trade a lot of fights in order to sneak 1-2 games into the top 10, although he did have to go pretty hard to get Rayman into the top 10 a few years ago (which was correct, though i hate that it cost MK a spot... that game deserved to be in the top 10 also).

This was a really weird year for #1. It would have taken some outrageous filibuster from Jeff to shake that game from that spot. I don't think they've had anywhere close to such a clear-cut outcome in prior years.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

All I know is that I really miss Ryan and I really felt it in the GotY podcasts. I assume it was really tough on the Giant Bomb duders too.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, i'd say this years GOTY podcasts were boring to listen to. Everyone just sorta agreed and didn't really argue passionately about anything. It felt like none of them really cared, i dunno.

I don't understand the argument "this year wasn't as good as last year" when well, its way better. So if anything people should be arguing alot more.

I haven't listened to the latest podcast and i don't know if i will, if its anything like the rest, why bother? if they don't seem to care, why should i?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By DystopiaX

@fuzzybunny566 said:

@xanadu said:

Ya Brad was definitely being a jerk for no reason. I guess no one else on the bombcast had felt strongly enough to argue otherwise but gta v's mission design was not "fuuuuuuuuuuuucking boooooooring". Brad also said before he's never finished a single gta game. I guess I'm a gta apologist though? I really loved that game and I think the voice acting and motion capture work was gravely under appreciated by most people.

I think Brad does something like that every GOTY, where there is one game he is totally unwilling to concede anything to, whether to keep it or toss it. I think he was so close to literally whining that DOTA 2 wasn't the #1 pick on their list. Everybody else was content with the way the list was and he was still begging for them to bump DOTA up. Don't get me wrong, I like Brad a lot, but sometimes during the GOTY podcasts, he acts kinda like a baby.

Bioshock 2 Best DLC award. I agree. Brad gets annoying during GOTY podcasts, and he makes enough offhand comments that it's clear he looks at the discussion as a way to "game" them in order to get the games he wants to win- saying bad things about games he likes and glossing over bad things about games he wants to win (I noticed this especially the year he refused to let Skyrim lose GOTY), whereas the others are a lot more honest with their opinions. I think he views the GOTY discussions as fights, more so than the rest of the staff.

I wish that more of the guys took Drew's stance, where he wouldn't weigh in on discussions when he didn't play a lot of the games, as opposed to Brad, who admitted he didn't play a handful of the games then proceeded to talk about why the game he liked was better than the game he didn't play.

@clonedzero: Your opinion that this year was a lot better. Jeff at least thought that there were a lot more good games but fewer outstanding ones.

I felt like their favorite games lined up more this year and that was why, not that they didn't care.

I know you didn't listen to the last day but Alex got hella passionate over Mario.

Sordel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the GOTY discussions to be rather frustrating because there was no genuine consensus there: it felt very much like people were just keen to get their pet games "the nod" of being in the top ten.

Really the two games that stood out as essential features of the top ten were The Last Of Us and Bioshock Infinite. Neither Zelda nor GTA V nor Mario (unfairly excluded from the final ten to pave the way for Rogue Legacy) really had the importance to contend for the Game of the Year title, and the rest of the titles that made the top fifteen or so will look in the future more like hipster daydreams than they do now, (which is really saying something).

2013 was a terrible gaming year on the basis of what I personally played. I sketched out a top nine earlier today and, of those, three were games from previous years and one (Bravely Default) was a demo! If you rearranged my choices to include only genuine 2013 releases you'd get: 1) Bioshock Infinite, 2) Brothers, 3) Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, 4) Ni No Kuni, 5) GTA V. Of those I'd say that only Bioshock Infinite and Ni No Kuni were real GOTY contenders, and the extent that No No Kuni had been completely missed by too many Bomcbast staffers came out during the "best new character" discussions.

One of the problems for me with Giant Bomb's list is that there's too much stuff there that plays only to journalists. Two or three hours of gameplay that you can base an article on may play well to people who are facing deadlines and want to get on with their lives, but most gamers want to assess the year in terms of hundred-hour-stealing monsters. When the Giant Bomb staff in general can't summon up the enthusiasm to play through really substantial games such as Ni No Kuni or Fire Emblem: Awakenings it's hardly surprising that you end up with the lowest common denominators being games they could power through in a single sitting. Even then, too many people seemed to be waving through games that they either hadn't played or, worse, actually disliked.

Sordel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sordel
gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcast discussions are different this year. Almost as if something's missing.

@l4wd0g said:

All I know is that I really miss Ryan and I really felt it in the GotY podcasts. I assume it was really tough on the Giant Bomb duders too.

Feel exactly the same right here duders.

The 2009 GOTY Podcast is still my favorite for some reason. I'm not quite sure why to be honest. Maybe because that was right around the time that I actually found the site.

2011 still stands out for me, simply for the Saints Row vs Skyrim fight (the wrong game won).

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#62  Edited By Sergio

@jz said:

@brodehouse: ryan would have told brad to fuck off.

I think this is what was needed. Brad's impact on this year's deliberations, with Jeff's complicity, resulted in a rather lackluster top 10 this year.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By me3639

Too many games, not enough players.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sergio said:

@jz said:

I think this is what was needed. Brad's impact on this year's deliberations, with Jeff's complicity, resulted in a rather lackluster top 10 this year.

Yeah the fact that Brad got Dota 2 on the list at all really speaks to the lack of pushback with Ryan gone. Ryan would not have even entertained an argument for Dota 2 on the top 10.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My biggest complaint about the deliberations was Jeff using Back to the Future 2 as a way to defend Bioshock Infinite's narrative.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Well if people want blood then lets hope they make that game of the decade podcast Jeff (jokingly?) mentioned on the podcast. Also that's never going to happen by the way.

Picking one game from the last generation as the best game sounds absolutely insane.

lennyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lennyy

I just don't get that where Brad was the only person to have Dota 2 on his list, it made it ahead of stuff like Mario and Rayman, even though two people (Alex and Patrick) had Mario really high up on their lists.

And I know Brad was saying that they haven't changed the Mario formula, but as Jeff put it (regarding Dota 2) : "It's a sequel to a Warcraft 3 mod".

I really don't think Dota 2 should've been on the list, or if it was at number 9 or 10, and Mario really deserved its place there.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Sergio

@president_barackbar said:

@sergio said:

@jz said:

Yeah the fact that Brad got Dota 2 on the list at all really speaks to the lack of pushback with Ryan gone. Ryan would not have even entertained an argument for Dota 2 on the top 10.

That and dropping Super Mario 3D World for the likes of Papers Please, Rogue Legacy, or Dive Kick is madness.

@plewney: Yeah, I noticed a lot of arguments Brad made to knock off other games or in favor of Dota 2 made no sense because he constantly contradicted himself. I think he only got called out on it once.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were just a lot of bad arguments and I disagreed, with a lot of the winners. I think the defense of Early Access by Patrick was gross. They're selling betas and alphas for MONEY. That shit used to be free. Fuck outta here with that shit. If you don't have the money to finish your game then maybe you shouldn't have started? Maybe budget better? It's a really bad trend and it's going to get worse. Why they kept focusing on the Steam store so much was beyond me. That's not the problem (well the real problem anyways). It's devs charging for something they shouldn't be.

Also I don't get people giving Brad or the others shit for gaming the system or being political about it. That's the fun of it. Trying to be sneaky and get your games on there, while preventing the others and ones you don't like personally.

I also can't stand the "well this game won a category already so let's give this other game its due instead". Fuck that. It just seems super condescending and patronizing. I also hate the agenda against AAA games, in favor of indies. Battlefield 4 looks incredible, but hurr durrr it's a military shooter and it's not teh pixel art like indies.

I didn't think this year, as a whole, was that bad but as the debates raged on I started to realize this year wasn't that great. I was kind of with Jeff. There were some really good games, but not many that were amazing. It was solid, but not great. And any year a Naughty Dog game wins, I just have to assume that there weren't that many quality titles.

Anyways if they do the game of the generation podcasts that would be amazing.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kishinfoulux: I dunno, if they do a Game of the Generation podcast you might pass out from all the stuff to hate. :P

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

They were too respectful. I want fucking blood.

Agreed/ Although I liked it whenever Jeff would point out he was playing the 'insert game here Rope-a-dope!'

To anybody saying that 2013 was a bad year for games, I'm sorry, but all things considered I don't have any fucking clue what you're talking about.

I'll admit, ever since GTAV came out, things have died the fuck down but the first 6 months of this year was really, really strong. When summed up, 2013 is gonna be a pretty great year for games in my mind. (although for certain obvious reasons and certain personal reaosns, it's always going to be a year I shake my head and think "fuck, 2013 huh...")

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sergio

@kishinfoulux said:

Also I don't get people giving Brad or the others shit for gaming the system or being political about it. That's the fun of it. Trying to be sneaky and get your games on there, while preventing the others and ones you don't like personally.

The problem I have with it is that the award is "Best" game, not "Favorite" game. It makes sense to have those games in their personal lists because those are more their 10 favorite games of the year. Once it goes to a site-wide best list, playing politics results in a list where we don't get better games being ranked higher but what favorite they were able to finagle onto the list.

My personal top 10 list had Animal Crossing in the number one spot because I spent the most time with it and enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think it would really make it onto a best of 2013 list, and it would be disingenuous to argue that it'd belong on the list, just like their 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th "best" games.

Some of them followed that logic, while some of them ran roughshod over the rest to get their favorite onto the list over what were actually better games. In this case, Brad was the most unbearable person in that room, and why people rightfully give him shit.

I do agree that some of the logic in other awards were terrible. These two games are too similar, so only one of them should be nominated. How about nominating the best even if two are similar? This game already is getting its due in another award. Again, how about nominating the best?