• 126 results
Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -

Some of you may recall a recap/highlights episode we did for the debut year of The HotSpot (2005). In case you missed out, the Giant Bomb thread is here, and the download can be found here. We're back for the year of 2006 now! Except where as the 2005 episode was 2.5 hours long, this one is over eight hours long. That's a big podcast, and it's more than enough Rich/Bob/Jeff/Carrie/Alex/Brad goodness to satisfy. Because of the length it's been split into two episodes.

Part 1 - Part 2

Visit our home page, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook. Hit up some kind of rush on our RSS feed.

Here's some other best-ofs that may be relevant to your interests:

Timestamps (Part One)
0:01:30 - Show start
0:07:00 - Issues: Duke Nukem Forever, the Gizmondo, and the word "gamer"
0:43:30 - Issues: GameStop, Command and Conquer 3, and Halo 3
1:11:00 - Issues: Kurt Schilling, Baseball, Starforce DRM, and movies
1:57:30 - Issues: Female gamer clans, video game petitions, and video game violence
2:44:30 - Issues: Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo; the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii launch

Timestamps (Part Two)
0:00:30 - Clips and other short topics
2:16:00 - Listener emails
2:54:30 - Listener phone calls
4:04:00 - Show end

Please enjoy! Now, a Metallica song:

#1 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -

Some of you may recall a recap/highlights episode we did for the debut year of The HotSpot (2005). In case you missed out, the Giant Bomb thread is here, and the download can be found here. We're back for the year of 2006 now! Except where as the 2005 episode was 2.5 hours long, this one is over eight hours long. That's a big podcast, and it's more than enough Rich/Bob/Jeff/Carrie/Alex/Brad goodness to satisfy. Because of the length it's been split into two episodes.

Part 1 - Part 2

Visit our home page, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook. Hit up some kind of rush on our RSS feed.

Here's some other best-ofs that may be relevant to your interests:

Timestamps (Part One)
0:01:30 - Show start
0:07:00 - Issues: Duke Nukem Forever, the Gizmondo, and the word "gamer"
0:43:30 - Issues: GameStop, Command and Conquer 3, and Halo 3
1:11:00 - Issues: Kurt Schilling, Baseball, Starforce DRM, and movies
1:57:30 - Issues: Female gamer clans, video game petitions, and video game violence
2:44:30 - Issues: Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo; the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii launch

Timestamps (Part Two)
0:00:30 - Clips and other short topics
2:16:00 - Listener emails
2:54:30 - Listener phone calls
4:04:00 - Show end

Please enjoy! Now, a Metallica song:

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

8 hours? Oh god.

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (2045 posts) -

Oh man, you sir are a god among men for this.

#4 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1162 posts) -

lol 8 hours?! Good stuff

#5 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

LOL awesome good times and there needs to be a collection of the original "On the Spot" show.

#6 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

I'll be saving this for a long road trip. Or prison. Whichever comes first.

#7 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" I'll be saving this for a long road trip. Or prison. Whichever comes first. "
Long road trip to prison?
#8 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -

ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck 

....I have to listen to it all...

#9 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
" ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck  ....I have to listen to it all... "
#10 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
" ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck  ....I have to listen to it all... "
I never listened to the hotspot but I will do this.
#11 Posted by Jaresk (143 posts) -

I have to listen to the first one first...

#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

One word: Awesome. I'm going to enjoy listening to this...

#13 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

Oh Christ! I have to listen to all of this..

#14 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -

You are pronouncing debut wrong. Otherwise, this is amazing.

#15 Posted by Gunharp (337 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze:  

Thanks so much for all the effort and polish. I forgot to thank you on your previous compilation post.   

Hotspot always takes me back, soon it will just make me feel old, haha. It really is genuinely funny the second time around, since its been so long since I have listened to any of it. Any highlights of Jason Ocampo from 2006? I miss his work...I think the last time I heard him on a 'cast was like a year ago on the mobcast, with Shoemaker and Kasavin as well. That was awesome. 
#16 Posted by Bobdaman18 (700 posts) -

thanks
#17 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" You are pronouncing debut wrong. Otherwise, this is amazing. "
I'll add it to the list of words I cannot pronounce correctly, which includes "library", "calculator", and "Antarctica". :D

@Gunharp said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze:   Thanks so much for all the effort and polish. I forgot to thank you on your previous compilation post.    Hotspot always takes me back, soon it will just make me feel old, haha. It really is genuinely funny the second time around, since its been so long since I have listened to any of it. Any highlights of Jason Ocampo from 2006? I miss his work...I think the last time I heard him on a 'cast was like a year ago on the mobcast, with Shoemaker and Kasavin as well. That was awesome.  "

Thanks. :) I think one or two moments including Ocampo made their way in. If I recall correctly, he's more prominent in the 2007 year of The HotSpot which I'm about to get around to...
#18 Posted by pewpewlazer (56 posts) -

This is the single greatest thing I've seen in these forums. Good job sir, if you do the Christmas call ins from the 2007 end of the year episode I'm the crazy kid in the In N Out Drive through.

#19 Edited by benpicko (2005 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:

" You are pronouncing debut wrong."

#20 Posted by mason_pat (60 posts) -

Haven't downloaded this yet (or the other one for that matter!), but I plan to smack this bad boy on my MP3 player. 

Much appreciated, haven't really thought of The Hotspot, but really glad you went through this trouble!

#21 Posted by Tebbit (4484 posts) -

I love you so much.

#22 Posted by Killroycantkill (1423 posts) -

FFFUUUUUU~~~~ DUDE! This is really awesome work. Great job! I'm remembering my highschool days while listening to this.

#23 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

<sarcasm> You just made me lose a good percent of my weekend </sarcasm>
#24 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

8 hours of awesome. Nice job.

#25 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I'm totally grateful for this, but... I've never heard "debut" pronounced "day-boo" before. It's "day-biew(view)," as far as I'v known. 

Alright, I'll start listening to this now. Be back tomorrow.

#26 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

And listening to old-Ryan is shattering my world view.

#27 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Man, the phrase "Cool voice of Canada" JUST left my memory, so I'm super glad I heard it again so I hopefully fit it into my vernacular.

#28 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Proof that the Hotspot >>> Bombcast. 

If you made this yourself that's extremely cool dude. Kudos and thanks. 

#29 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

OH god, listening to that gizmodo and DNF conversation just takes me back

#30 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

First there was the great wall of China, the Eiffel Tower, the Rocketship, and now this...

#31 Posted by countinhallways (630 posts) -

Thanks a million dude.  I never listened to the Hotspot but this gives me the perfect opportunity to do so. 

You are a Hero among men.

#32 Posted by Xakura (126 posts) -

You are a credit to humanity.
#33 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

You are awesome.

#34 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Damn man you are brilliant! This'll be perfect to listen to in chunks whilst I play my customary 3 week long games of civ 5.

#35 Posted by h0lgr (911 posts) -

Nice job, you just earned yourself a follower!

#36 Posted by Management (593 posts) -

When I try to download it to my iPhone through RSS feed and the Podcaster app, I only get the first half of the 2006 recap.  
Is there any other way I can download it to my iPhone?

#37 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -

Thank you for all the praise. Keep eyes and ears out for more episodes hitting soon. :)

@Management said:

" When I try to download it to my iPhone through RSS feed and the Podcaster app, I only get the first half of the 2006 recap.  Is there any other way I can download it to my iPhone? "

I know; for some reason the feed only picked up the first part. It's irritating me. I'm trying to fix it right now, but the only solution currently is to download the MP3 manually and transfer it to your MP3 player of choice.
#38 Edited by Management (593 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze: When I try to add it over to my iPhone via iTunes, I just get an error message saying that my iPhone can't read the file. Does this mean my iPhone is a peace of crap and I have to find something else I can play it on? Or is there a smart way to do it that i don't understand? 

EDIT: Never mind. I just had to change the file type. It's working smoothly now thanks.
#39 Posted by BBQBram (2291 posts) -

Thanks for doing this, you're awesome. The first one you did was great fun to listen to, can't wait to dig into this one.

#40 Posted by Gill (134 posts) -

You complete me.

#41 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -

I love you.

#42 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

Just finished part 1.  

It's really cool to hear about PS3 launch news, the Nintendo Wii not being a big deal in mainstream media, and Microsoft getting a patent on 3D motion sensor tech (Kinect). 

#43 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

It's cool that you did this, but I really don't want to experience 2006 all over again.

#44 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said:
" It's cool that you did this, but I really don't want to experience 2006 all over again. "
It's not so much about 2006 as it is about these guys being funny, but, to each his own Sir. :)
#45 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -

Please keep doing this for the hotspot. I never listened to anything Giantbomb related until Arrow Pointing Down started.

#46 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@Interfect said:
" Please keep doing this for the hotspot. I never listened to anything Giantbomb related until Arrow Pointing Down started. "
You just reminded me that I wanted to say the following: if you guys have any podcasts that you think I should give such a treatment, please go ahead and suggest. Right now I have definite plans for the following; ie. these will be coming out over the next few months (which is why you should subscribe to the RSS feed):

• The HotSpot (2007)
  • Giant Bombcast (2008 - 2010)
  • 1UP Yours (2006 - early 2009) (1UP Yours 2006 is the next episode; should be hitting late Feb/Early Mar)
  • Listen UP (2009)
  • The Adam Carolla Show (2006) - For Adam Carolla fans, that's his morning radio show that ran from 2006 - 2009, NOT the current podcast.

Also, I have secret plans to do end of year recaps for a lot of the shows this year, including the Bombcast, Weekend Confirmed, 8-4 Play, and other podcasts -- ESPN's Baseball Today, Too Beautiful to Live, The Adam Carolla Show etc. I can't promise those 100% but I'm clipping out the best parts of each episode as soon as it comes out, so those should hit December.

Again, if you guys have suggestions just throw them out there. The response has been positive; we've gotten about 700 downloads total so far. I won't lie -- I was hoping for more -- but as our scope expands, more word should get out.

I'll be hitting up the 2007 HotSpot archives soon, so if you have specific timestamps in mind feel free to PM me or send an email to thisyearcollection@gmail.com.
#47 Posted by ez123 (1994 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze: I think a little of Hotspot '08 would be cool. Now that Vinny is way more popular, a lot of the community would probably get a kick out of him as host.  You should at least go up until Ryan's last episode which was him, Vinny and Brad.
#48 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I think I love you.

#49 Posted by zameer (606 posts) -

This is crazy awesome, was wondering when the 2nd part'd be out

#50 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Deboo... LOL!

Great work though!