Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -

We've hit the first year of The HotSpot, the second year of The HotSpot, as well as the first year of 1UP Yours and the first month of The Adam Carolla Show. Now it's time to visit the third year of The HotSpot, and the last year featuring Jeff Gerstmann, Rich Gallup, and Ryan, Alex, and Vinny at GameSpot. I've always found it difficult to pick between the three years of The HotSpot, but if you forced me to choose, I might choose 2007 -- it has so many crazy, unbelievably funny moments, and it's hard to imagine anything toppling it from the pyramid's peak.

2007 saw the end of what is, for all intents and purposes, 'volume one' of The HotSpot. Though the show continues today, much of its famous cast, including Rich Gallup, Jeff Gerstmann, Ryan Davis, and Alex Navarro, left throughout 2007. Despite the departures throughout, the show remained consistently canny and consistently funny, and is nothing short of top quality today.

Timestamps (Part One)
0:07:30 - Korn and Haze
0:30:30 - Movies
1:38:00 - Video game violence, including Manhunt 2
2:46:00 - Various video games
3:38:00 - Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony

Timestamps (Part Two)
0:00:30 - Random clips
0:21:00 - Emails
0:36:00 - Phone calls
2:52:00 - Goodbyes
3:37:00 - Show close 

Just as with the 2006 show, I've split this into two parts. It's actually a few minutes longer than 2006 -- somewhere just over eight hours. A great travel companion? I sure hope so. Here's the first part, and here's the second part (direct MP3 links). Here's the page on our blog if you want more information; follow us on Twitter for timely updates. I'm going to start posting quotes every two days or so, so it's worth following if you want to laugh at some old-timey quotes. You'll need the RSS feed to keep up with the releases. And you can like the show on Facebook, where you'll get updates and quotes just like on Twitter.

A quick request, if you'll allow me -- as far as I can tell, the show isn't up on iTunes yet. I don't have iTunes because I don't use any Apple products. I actually downloaded it with the intention of installing it, but then I saw that it wanted to dump a whole lot of other stuff on me like Quicktime, and I didn't want to jump through the hoops. However, I understand that anybody can submit a podcast to iTunes. All the information it needs is coded into the RSS feed already. So if an enterprising Giant Bomb user would be so good as to submit the podcast to the store, I would be very grateful and more than highly appreciative.

That's all from me. I hope you guys enjoy this part. Next we'll be continuing with 1UP Yours. Stay on the lookout!
#1 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -

We've hit the first year of The HotSpot, the second year of The HotSpot, as well as the first year of 1UP Yours and the first month of The Adam Carolla Show. Now it's time to visit the third year of The HotSpot, and the last year featuring Jeff Gerstmann, Rich Gallup, and Ryan, Alex, and Vinny at GameSpot. I've always found it difficult to pick between the three years of The HotSpot, but if you forced me to choose, I might choose 2007 -- it has so many crazy, unbelievably funny moments, and it's hard to imagine anything toppling it from the pyramid's peak.

2007 saw the end of what is, for all intents and purposes, 'volume one' of The HotSpot. Though the show continues today, much of its famous cast, including Rich Gallup, Jeff Gerstmann, Ryan Davis, and Alex Navarro, left throughout 2007. Despite the departures throughout, the show remained consistently canny and consistently funny, and is nothing short of top quality today.

Timestamps (Part One)
0:07:30 - Korn and Haze
0:30:30 - Movies
1:38:00 - Video game violence, including Manhunt 2
2:46:00 - Various video games
3:38:00 - Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony

Timestamps (Part Two)
0:00:30 - Random clips
0:21:00 - Emails
0:36:00 - Phone calls
2:52:00 - Goodbyes
3:37:00 - Show close 

Just as with the 2006 show, I've split this into two parts. It's actually a few minutes longer than 2006 -- somewhere just over eight hours. A great travel companion? I sure hope so. Here's the first part, and here's the second part (direct MP3 links). Here's the page on our blog if you want more information; follow us on Twitter for timely updates. I'm going to start posting quotes every two days or so, so it's worth following if you want to laugh at some old-timey quotes. You'll need the RSS feed to keep up with the releases. And you can like the show on Facebook, where you'll get updates and quotes just like on Twitter.

A quick request, if you'll allow me -- as far as I can tell, the show isn't up on iTunes yet. I don't have iTunes because I don't use any Apple products. I actually downloaded it with the intention of installing it, but then I saw that it wanted to dump a whole lot of other stuff on me like Quicktime, and I didn't want to jump through the hoops. However, I understand that anybody can submit a podcast to iTunes. All the information it needs is coded into the RSS feed already. So if an enterprising Giant Bomb user would be so good as to submit the podcast to the store, I would be very grateful and more than highly appreciative.

That's all from me. I hope you guys enjoy this part. Next we'll be continuing with 1UP Yours. Stay on the lookout!
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Can't thank you enough for these. Awesome job, dude.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

God yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss.

#4 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -
Hells yeah! Nearly finished the second part of the 2nd year then I'll go through these ones. 

@ZanzibarBreeze: Keep being awesome.    
#5 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -

Awesome, this should go well with torchlight

#6 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Yes the haze bit! This takes me right back to high school all over again.

#7 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

I really like these. Please keep doing them, they're awesome.

#8 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -

By the way, I slapped in two Suburban All-Stars hits at the end of part one.

#9 Posted by countinhallways (630 posts) -

Again dude, thanks a million for all your work on these podcasts.

#10 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

Thanks for doing these dude! Can't wait to listen.

#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

Yes! 

I'm actually done with Forza 3, so I'm not sure when I'll listen to this, but thanks!

#12 Posted by MementoMori (189 posts) -

Thanks duder!

#13 Posted by Gruff182 (875 posts) -

Good job.

#14 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

Tor Thorsen! I remember that guy, he was effin' hillarious... reminds me of Thor Odinson...

#15 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze: The 1up yours one was great, Are you planning on doing another one?  I didn't listen to the hotspot so if you are I'm looking forward to it!
#16 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: The 1up yours one was great, Are you planning on doing another one?  I didn't listen to the hotspot so if you are I'm looking forward to it! "
I'm happy to say that you can expect the 2007 and 2008 recaps for 1UP Yours to be released over the next two/three months.
#17 Posted by DonChipotle (2845 posts) -

I only wish that Les Wampas was in 2007. I remember that being hilarious. 

Still, this will be a joy to listen to.

#18 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze: Excellent, I can't wait!
#19 Posted by iShayman (92 posts) -

These are amazing! Keep it up man!

#20 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1210 posts) -

I love these so much! You totally got me through my spring break, and I'm pumped for this and the Adam Carolla collection. 

Keep up the awesome work!

#21 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Can't thank you enough for these.

#22 Posted by ikabubu (207 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaannn...
This is a serious nostalgia trip. I just discovered your series (by stumbling on this thread, nonetheless), but it's better late than never.
I also think that it's a great history lesson to all GBers that were not familiar with these high-larious bits of the past.

Rich Gallup was a really, really good host. That Jeff-Rich banter: PRICELESS, son.
#23 Posted by GideonAmos (199 posts) -

You truly are one mean podcast recapping machine! Thanks a lot for these recaps!

#24 Edited by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

Man, I had forgotten how crazy the Hot Spot became after Rich left and Jeff started running the show. I mean that one episode where they played that messed-up Master Chief fanfic in its entirety was priceless.

#25 Edited by MonetaryDread (2175 posts) -

Thank you for the effort @ZanzibarBreeze: your work is greatly appreciated.

#26 Posted by craigbo180 (1726 posts) -

I have really enjoyed listening to the HotSpot recaps because I never got chance to listen to them back in the day! Many thanks duder!

#27 Posted by deyanne (66 posts) -

what kind of crazyman are you making all of these? But seriously man i can't thank you enough for these, i just got done listening to 2005 and 2006 back to back yet i can't wait to start listening to this, thanks a lot again.

#28 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

Man, listening to all the Jeff stuff at the end really bummed me out. But then I came back here to Giant Bomb and remembered that it all worked out pretty well.

:D

Love this site.

#29 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" Man, listening to all the Jeff stuff at the end really bummed me out. But then I came back here to Giant Bomb and remembered that it all worked out pretty well.  :D  Love this site. "
Actually, I'm really happy with the ending. The close for the show came from earlier in the year but it seemed to fit perfectly, real somber.

Rich: I like it here.
Jeff: You're good at this. You should do this again some time.

Almost brought a tear to my eye. :)
#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

God damn, 2007 was so damn crazy!

#31 Posted by ZagZagovich (770 posts) -

Huge thanks for all the work. Kind of wish there was a hidden year somewhere in between 2006 and 2007 just to have 8 more hours of podcasts.

#32 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

Love these, thanks for the great work.

#33 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze:  It was well done, though by it's nature, a total downer. So glad we got all of this out of it though. As cool as it would have been for the guys to still be with something as huge as Gamespot, I love Giant Bomb more.

Can't wait to hear the Bombcast recaps. Keep up the good work.
#34 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Why does 2007 seem like ions ago, oh what I wouldn't give to be young again... 

Seriously though you are amazing for making these.

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12114 posts) -

Has it already been 4 years since 2007? Weird. In any case, I'm super glad you do these. The entire "HAZE IS THE SHIT?!?!?" bit (hell, the entire episode) is probably up there with Jeff's Duke Nukem Forever rant in the pantheon of Hotspot greatness. It's a pity that 2008 was such a downer after everyone who mattered left. In fact the only moment from 2008 that I can really remember (besides everyone cool leaving) is Ryan talking about the new Rambo movie and that almost foreshadowing the kind of amazing tangents that were common on the Giant Bombcast.

#36 Posted by chogi (555 posts) -

Is Les Wampas in this? Cause that's my favorite Hotspot moment.

#37 Posted by TheHT (11785 posts) -

I only started listening to podcasts when I came here and mainly watched OnTheSpot while at GS, so having realized how awesome these guys are at podcasts this is great.

Thanks a bunch!

#38 Posted by daftdethmonkey (45 posts) -

I am loving these podcasts. I'd forgotten how crazy the whole console launch time frame was and how excited everyone was back then. 

Cannot wait for the inevitable  '08 Arrow Pointing Down/Bombcast episodes.

#39 Posted by Chibi_Kaji (170 posts) -

Whoa, Vinny was the host after Jeff was fired? I never knew that.

#40 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -
@Chibi_Kaji: I'm fairly sure that Vinny became host after Rich left.
#41 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

Thanks for this.

#42 Posted by Chibi_Kaji (170 posts) -
@Zinc said:
" @Chibi_Kaji: I'm fairly sure that Vinny became host after Rich left. "
Yeah, the guy mentions it at the start. I shouldn't be shocked since I stopped going to Gamespot after Jeff was fired.
#43 Posted by alkufai (23 posts) -

Good old times, thx for this man.

#44 Posted by angelfan91 (892 posts) -

The ending about Jeff's firing was incredibly sobering.  Thank you so much for these. :)

#45 Posted by Vigil80 (435 posts) -

Holy crap, I have so much to go through. I thought it was crazy enough to start over at the beginning of the Bombcast, but I now see I need to go back even further. 

You're a prince for putting this together.

#46 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the second part?

#47 Posted by YoThatLimp (1938 posts) -

What are the two songs at the end of the first part?

#48 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@Metalideth said:
" What are the two songs at the end of the first part? "
Two songs from the Suburban All Stars.
#49 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

Thanks. I needed that. Here's a 48th blog and/or post to you.