#1 Posted by LordJezo (82 posts) -

It's pretty constant with Jeff leading the charge with his total disgust for the Android platform.

While it might not be as popular with developers as iOS the Android ecosystem is huge across the entire world with more and more being sold every day. Sure, everything might go to Apple first but everything does seem to make it to Android and millions of people are gaming on their handsets.

The Bombcast seems to have it out for Android and it makes no sense. Take the fanboy whatever out of the picture and you have two very viable gaming platforms. iOS does have great stuff but Android is right there with it, just a couple months behind usually.

#2 Edited by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

Android is better because I can play Super Metroid and Pokemon without any hassle. I can also play a non broken version of Chrono Trigger. End of story.

ios is just dreadful in my opinion. I can hardly stand the screen size, let alone the UI and selection of good apps and games.

#3 Posted by L44 (548 posts) -

I love my Motorola RAZR HD. Android software is easy as hell to pirate but that seems the only downside.

And I kind of like Google's mentality of "Do what you want with it."

#4 Edited by psylah (2161 posts) -

Also I never understood this idea that "everyone just pirates it" on android.

I rooted my phone, and I am the only person I know, of everyone at work and my entire family (who use android phones), who has done so. They don't even have the faintest idea of what "root" is, let alone how to install pirated apps.

And I don't even pirate anything, myself.

#5 Edited by Chaser324 (6263 posts) -

@LordJezo said:

[...]While it might not be as popular with developers as iOS the Android ecosystem is huge[...]

You might not realize it, but in that statement you actually named one of the big reasons why Android isn't popular with developers.

You're right to say that the Android ecosystem is large, and it is in fact growing. However, it's not just the user base that's growing. The number of different devices is also growing, with any number of different processors and screen sizes, each of them running the manufacturer's own custom UI and modified kernel, practically none of them running the latest release of Android, and some of them not even having access to the standard Google Play marketplace.

That market fragmentation can make game development pretty difficult, and there really aren't all that many encouraging stories about people that fought that uphill battle and made a big splash with their Android game. These smaller indie studios have to spend their limited time and money developing on the platform where they feel that they have best chance of being successful, and the simple fact is that right now iOS is that marketplace.

#6 Posted by Zella (689 posts) -

While Android also gets stuff a bit later there is also a trend of it getting stuff for free. As Chaser324 mentioned the fragmentation of the OS is an issue which is one of the main causes for Devs not preferring android. However if you take the flagship Android phone(whatever is the latest Nexus product) it is just as good if not better in app support than an iPhone 5. A lot of people hate on Android cause their only experience with it is on shitty bargain phones that come with Android 2.2 or some shitty UI layed over it. I seriously had a friend who kept complaining about her Android phone cause she couldn't have all these apps that she had on her iPhone, then I showed her that there is an app store with even more apps than the itunes store and apps that let you do more with your phone. Google Now is also possibly one of the best developments in mobile devices, having up to date sports scores and transit info in my notification bar is great but that fact that is knows to show up when I want it is even better.

#7 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

Although I see the crew's point, I swear I'll never give a penny to Apple.

#8 Edited by Stimpack (808 posts) -

I feel like this post is re-created by different users on a daily basis!

I don't really understand the issue with Android, either. He did say that it's been a while since he owned an Android device and that he didn't have a good experience with it so he basically dropped it. Not exactly grade A reasoning, but sometimes that's just how it is. I can't throw any stones, there are things that I dislike based mainly on that fact that it just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure many of us here can say the same.

@themangalist: also, this. I just don't like the way they run things and I don't much care for the Apple fanboy mentality.

#9 Posted by mosespippy (3982 posts) -

Nothing the crew have said has struck me as particularly fanboyish or android bashy (but I haven't gotten through this weeks show yet). I recall they bitched about shitty developers ripping off art assets from popular games to deceive consumers into thinking their app was that popular game. The crew called it out as a problem on both systems though and especially on Windows phone. There is just a lack of policing in the ecosystems and a proliferation of scammers in them all.

#10 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

They are misinformed about something, really nothing new here and yeah it's annoying. Android is actually the better OS, it just falls short in some areas for apps. (the biggest issue, is on tablets)

Still, I like my iPad, but I acknowledge if I could get all the same apps on the Nexus 7 I'd much rather use the Android OS. For my phone I'm more than happy on Android as I don't really care about phone games where Android is on the backfoot, certainly.

iOS is so stale at this point, they have been utterly leap frogged by the designers at Google. Android no longer looks like a cheap POS imitation and packs better features. (mostly superior versions of stuff iOS has)

To be honest I can't really blame them, I think Android was a total piece of shit pre-Gingerbread (2.3) and don't get me started on the colossal mess that Honeycomb was, back then the tablet app situation was even worse than it is now too.

@psylah said:

Also I never understood this idea that "everyone just pirates it" on android.

I rooted my phone, and I am the only person I know, of everyone at work and my entire family (who use android phones), who has done so. They don't even have the faintest idea of what "root" is, let alone how to install pirated apps.

And I don't even pirate anything, myself.

Sweeping statement made by Apple fans, basically.

Like console fans who say all PC gamers are pirates. Or game developers that didn't sell well on PC.

#11 Posted by Malarkain (103 posts) -

I doubt any of them have tried the 4.0+ iterations of Android. I got my phone right as it transitioned from 2.3 to 4.0 so I never really got to see what Android was like in "the old days". And on top of that I rooted and am currently on Cyanogenmod 10 so I have been completely satisfied with my phone.

#12 Posted by Stimpack (808 posts) -

@mosespippy: Well, there are a lot of people out there who freak out when someone prefers something that differs from what they prefer. I don't personally think it's a big deal either way. I don't remember ever hearing anyone on the crew talk smack about Android. Hell, I believe Jeff even said that if he were to ever cover iOS he would also have to cover Android.

#13 Posted by Stimpack (808 posts) -

Also with all this talk I have to wonder whether Dave, Alexis, or Alex use Android.

#14 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

At this point in time the difference between the two are essentially like the differences between PC and console gaming. iOS devices are fairly standardised, sure there are differences between the earlier and newer models, but it's still fairly similar and mostly compatible, even moreso compared to the number of variations in Android devices. This obviously makes it harder to develop something for Android devices.

I've also heard stuff about the iOS App store being something developers view as being easier to cash in on than the Android store because of something about the way it works or something.

All that said however, if you look into Apple and Android you'll probably see that Android is fairly quickly becoming the more popular platform. Apple is also supposedly starting to have other problems too, i hear stuff about their share prices dropping or some other.

Now that i've gone through that, Jeff's disdain for Android at this point just seems similar to my own for Apple, there's no real reason anymore, it's just something we can't seem to let go of.

#15 Edited by Robo (770 posts) -

@LordJezo: Keep in mind where they live. The trend capital of the Western world.

Android could be great, but some folks there would never know because they're surrounded by people/marketing that says just stick with Apple where it's all 'safer' and 'simpler' - even though that hasn't really been the case for a few iterations of Android now and several generations of phones. They're not that far apart these days.

But perhaps that's why even when the gang does speak about their experiences with Android devices it's generally pretty clear that they went into the affair begrudgingly, ready to pick out every single fault they could find. They can't help the bias at this point.

I was the same way back when I had my iPhone. Then I actually got an Android phone...then another, and another, and I'll probably get another. They've both got their strengths and weaknesses depending on how you use a phone. I tend to prefer an open environment and customization. I've never pirated anything on Android and don't intend to. I just don't like arbitrary limitations. That said, I don't care what someone else chooses to use...just don't go spewing biased nonsense and misinformation about one or the other like Tested had a habit of doing with Android (part of the reason I stopped listening/reading).

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

At the end of the day the iPhone is simple, looks pretty and requires little to no configuration on the user end. That's exactly what I want out of a phone. Anything more complicated and I'm just going to use a real computer. Androids are nice for the crowd that like to customize every little part of their experience, but the out-of-box offering still leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

All of these different android consoles that need different ports for each os is just depressing. The devs would have to put so much work into that. Jeff talks about the a droid stuff more indepth on tumblr and jar time so seek that out.

#18 Edited by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

Sweet raptor Jesus ... can't people just let this go? Jeff doesn't like Android, we get it. Are people so insecure about their mobile phone's operating system that they have to defend it ad nauseum? I prefer iOS and it's not because I'm a sheep or need to be hip/cool... I just like it. Pages, Numbers, SkyDrive -- it'll all syncs up and it's great for my line of work. Yeah I can do it on Android probably and if someone said they prefer Android I'd understand, open platforms have their fair share of advantages. But I don't want it.

Stop worrying about what other people say so much. A debate is fine, but there's one of these posts every week. Let it go, you're not going to change the GB crew's minds.

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

@Chaser324: UI skins are a non-issue for games since they don't use the native widgets in the first place. Even for regular apps, you can use something like HoloEverywhere and create a consistent UI across all devices and OS versions.

More problematic is the case where a manufacturer breaks the behaviour of an API resulting in crashes. This is thankfully rare, and the devepoper is provided with useful information like the stack trace and device model. If the developer can't solve the problem, they can use the developer console to exclude that device from distribution since it's a piece of shit anyway.

Devices without Google Play are a non-issue. There's no need to worry about how well your app works on a device that you're not distributing to. Let the pirates deal with their problem.

Version differences can be a problem, but simple version checks go a long way. And if you're supporting anything older than Froyo, stop. Drop support for anything below API level 8. Hell, if you're making something new, consider making ICS your minimum. It will save so much development trouble. By targeting newer versions you're also targeting newer, more capable devices and that improves customer satisfaction. Just because older OS versions are in use doesn't mean you have to develop for them.

Screen sizes, resolutions, aspect ratios. These are common complaints. They're also things that PC game developers deal with. Even iOS developers. Just use the tools provided by the framework and it shouldn't be that hard.

Unfortunately, the Android developer documentation barely discusses game development. That is an area that definitely needs improvement.

#20 Posted by LordJezo (82 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

Sweet raptor Jesus ... can't people just let this go? Jeff doesn't like Android, we get it. Are people so insecure about their mobile phone's operating system that they have to defend it ad nauseum?

This has nothing to do with fanboy anything. GB is a games site that reviews games and talks about games. Having these personal grudges against an entire system for no good reason is counter to that. I know GB brings a lot of the personal back to the people here but when they all act like Android is shit and iOS is the end all of mobile gaming is just wrong in today's marketplace.

#21 Posted by Gaff (1637 posts) -
@LordJezo

@PandaBear said:

Sweet raptor Jesus ... can't people just let this go? Jeff doesn't like Android, we get it. Are people so insecure about their mobile phone's operating system that they have to defend it ad nauseum?

This has nothing to do with fanboy anything. GB is a games site that reviews games and talks about games. Having these personal grudges against an entire system for no good reason is counter to that. I know GB brings a lot of the personal back to the people here but when they all act like Android is shit and iOS is the end all of mobile gaming is just wrong in today's marketplace.

And Android is still primarily a smartphone OS, which also happens to have some games on it.

Furthermore, whether we like it or not, iOS has become the de facto platform for developers to release mobile games on. Justified or not (one could argue that the iOS devices are starting to become just as fragmented as Android), that's how it is.

And yeah: opinions, hyperbole, not enough room for nuance in an off-the-cuff remark, etc. People know the drill.
#22 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I like android because I have no intention of paying for any apps, and touchscreen gaming is not something I'm interested in at all. I don't want to play games in that space, regardless of how simple or social they are, or how they are the newest indie darling to get mentioned on the bombcast only for them to say that they have gotten sick of it two weeks later. I just like looking up information and google is good at getting information to me so android works fine.

#23 Posted by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

The Apple Store argument kinda falls flat for me at this point. First of all the Android store got much better, but more importantly, shouldn't you just get an Ipad if you want to play IOS games ?

#24 Posted by toastface (106 posts) -

Oh look, this non-issue again.

I drive a Mazda, and I can't believe they trash Mazdas on the podcast by talking about Jeff's Lexus all the time. It drives just as well, and the whole crew's blatant bias for other cars makes me want to internet rage.

#25 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

Jeff's last look at Android was probably pre-4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich, which would explain a lot. I remember Brad going on the Tested podcast a year ago and saying that his experience with a phone running the latest cyanogenmod was "bordering on revelatory". Maybe Jeff should try it out.

#26 Posted by Humanity (8715 posts) -

Android is better because I can play Super Metroid and Pokemon without any hassle. I can also play a non broken version of Chrono Trigger. End of story.

ios is just dreadful in my opinion. I can hardly stand the screen size, let alone the UI and selection of good apps and games.

Oh yah? Well here is MY opinion on the state of mobile operating systems

#27 Posted by MAGZine (435 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

At the end of the day the iPhone is simple, looks pretty and requires little to no configuration on the user end. That's exactly what I want out of a phone. Anything more complicated and I'm just going to use a real computer. Androids are nice for the crowd that like to customize every little part of their experience, but the out-of-box offering still leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me.

I like this quote. I know it's 24 days old.

Can you elaborate what requires more setup than an iPhone?

#28 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

This is a pointless thread and should not have been pumped. People like they like. Sometimes their opinions are based on older shittier versions and are no longer relevant to the newer versions, but whatever. It doesn't really matter.

#29 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Who cares what the giant bomb crew uses, to each his own. I use Windows Phone and i am not preaching about it or growing hateful of people who don't use it.

#30 Posted by Superfriend (1520 posts) -

I guess they see it as a games platform first? Or, at least a potential platform for games.

As an android owner I have to say there are a lot more and more interesting games on iOS. That is a fact.

#31 Edited by Kidable (126 posts) -

Android = more open, but less fruitful app-wise

iOS = closed, but way more of a brimming app store

Think that about sums it up. I'm not really that big into app gaming full stop, but my Android's home screen is just a barren desert compared to my iOS. I don't even bother to pirate, cause I just can't see anything viable to put stuff onto. For now at least, the focus seems to be on iOS with devs. But I would say to not throw out your Android just yet until we see what kind of impact OUYA does to the marketplace as a whole. It could be just the adrenaline shot it sorely needs.

#32 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

They are not hating on Android, pointing out issues with a platform is what journalist do.. that is not the definition of "hating"

You guys really need to evolve your vocabulary, this coming from a non english native speaker.

#33 Posted by cloudnineboya (762 posts) -

Jeff is a idiot. what is it with media journalists and apple products!!! like if you do not own one your not in the cool kats club. the last time i looked at my android phone i preity sure i can call and txt just like any mobile phone.

#34 Posted by Frenden (37 posts) -

I own both a Samsung Galaxy Note II and an iPhone 4S. I use the Note more, but I see the appeal of an OS with fiddly bits hidden away and made less likely to be tweaked in a way that will fuck users up.

I game more on the iPhone. I draw and make calls on the Note II. Shrug.

Each platform has strengths.

#35 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

Reminds me of the PS3 "hate". I don't think it's really hate...it seems like the duders get tunnel vision.

#36 Posted by cloudymusic (1041 posts) -

As an Android developer, it gets annoying seeing Android users constantly decrying anyone who's had a bad experience with Android in the past (or just prefers iOS for whatever reason) as "bashing" or "hating." While I love the platform (and genuinely think it's surpassed iOS starting with ICS), it also has plenty of faults, just like iOS has. While the state of games on Android is certainly getting better, it still often lags behind iOS in terms of availability, release dates, and so forth. From the perspective of covering mobile games for the site, iOS is still probably the most sensible choice.

Do I think Jeff, Ryan, or Brad would probably be pleasantly surprised if they tried Jelly Bean? Absolutely. Am I going to sit here and say they're "hating" for having a current preference for iOS devices? No. After all, they're just phones. Who the hell cares? It reminds me of the tired "war" between Xbox Live users and PSN users.

#37 Posted by redgonzo (98 posts) -

: ever think that perhaps people that don't agree with you aren't necessarily idiots, they just value different things.

#38 Edited by redgonzo (98 posts) -
@damisterchief said:

Who cares what the giant bomb crew uses, to each his own. I use Windows Phone and i am not preaching about it or growing hateful of people who don't use it.

Look guys someone that's not weird.