#1 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Since most of us will complain about certain picks made by the GB staff I feel that this thread should exist. So let us complain! I think that them removing Asura's Wrath and TWD from the best moments category dimply because there are too many moments is bullshit. I also think Lee should win the best character category over Vaas. So what are you unhappy with so far?

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Simply*

#3 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

This thread is going to be a delight to read. Ill check back after this GOTY stuff ends. I predict some pointless hate for Brad here shortly.

#4 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

"The" moment in Spec Ops is the best moment in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

#5 Posted by Sless (64 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Since most of us will complain about certain picks made by the GB staff I feel that this thread should exist. So let us complain! I think that them removing Asura's Wrath and TWD from the best moments category dimply because there are too many moments is bullshit. I also think Lee should win the best character category over Vaas. So what are you unhappy with so far?

Especially because Brad was absolutely right about Fez - it was kind of a nebulous Fez nomination for "best moment." Even reading the description in the award article still doesn't really make a good "moment" out of it so it was a little bit silly that two other games got pushed out because of something like "too many great moments."

Also, completely disagreed with them calling Clementine a bad child character, and Jeff saying that the facial animation in TWD wasn't good was a really puzzling moment because I think both those things (clementine, the facial animation) are some of the absolute best parts about the game. Definitely see the seeds of Jeff holding up a stop sign on TWD later down the line.

still love listening to the guys talk about games. Can't wait for the rest of the podcasts though I won't have a ton of time to listen to them.

#6 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

"The" moment in Spec Ops is the best moment in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

Amen brother. That was a thousand times better than all three of their picked choices.

#7 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

XCOM was a bad game, and only gets a pass because "holy shit it's a fucking TBS in the year 2012".

The game mechanics barely function, entire sections of the gameplay are irrelevant (who the fuck ever uses SHIVs or interception after the first month), and the aliens are literally static spawns that don't move, except when they decide to teleport from waypoint to waypoint, often into the middle of your squad.

Also, Syndicate shouldn't be on that list. It's not even the same genre.

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4679 posts) -

I was surprised to hear them diss clem like that. I think she was really well done.

#9 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

TRAIN SIMULATOR 2013 SHOULD HAVE TAKEN ALL

#10 Posted by Quebec_Classique (20 posts) -

Why was Dark Souls not even on the list of nominees for 2012's 2011 game of the year? The PC release, the DLC and the fact that it was overlooked on last years list should have made it a lock for the category. I get that Vinny was the only one to actually play it, and that none of them played it in 2012, but it should have at least been mentioned in the discussion.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@Quebec_Classique I think it was over looked due to From being inexperienced with PC development due to the whole 30fps controversy. Also only Vinny seems to like that game.
#12 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'm also surprised by their dissing of Clem from TWD. She isn't the best character but she didn't deserve such harsh treatment from the staff. At least Patrick defended her.

#13 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

@Quebec_Classique said:

Why was Dark Souls not even on the list of nominees for 2012's 2011 game of the year? The PC release, the DLC and the fact that it was overlooked on last years list should have made it a lock for the category. I get that Vinny was the only one to actually play it, and that none of them played it in 2012, but it should have at least been mentioned in the discussion.

It wasn't overlooked, and was actually on the short list to make top 10, but Vinny decided not to argue for it. Ryan mentioned that had Vinny decided to argue, he would have backed the game's inclusion. Also none of the crew played the DLC, simple as that. Dark Souls might be Matt Rorie's 2012's 2011 game of the year though.

#14 Posted by Hobbes2 (31 posts) -

Clem is good, but I liked my Lee better. Maybe she'll get her due after the second season.

#15 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

UH, ACTUALLY

#16 Posted by Hobbes2 (31 posts) -

Best Moment really should have had the Walking Dead sudden-murder scene as a runner-up, if not the winner.

#17 Edited by Turambar (6785 posts) -

@Hobbes2 said:

Best Moment really should have had the Walking Dead sudden-murder scene as a runner-up, if not the winner.

No, Best Moment is when your enemy in Asura's Wrath starts doing QTE button prompts, and as you start winning, he starts failing the prompts.

#18 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1620 posts) -

@Sless said:

Also, completely disagreed with them calling Clementine a bad child character, and Jeff saying that the facial animation in TWD wasn't good was a really puzzling moment because I think both those things (clementine, the facial animation) are some of the absolute best parts about the game. Definitely see the seeds of Jeff holding up a stop sign on TWD later down the line.

Wait what? ... I didnt listen to the podcast yet, but Clem a bad child-character? That is crazy. She was easily one of the best child characters in games/TV/movies I have ever seen.

#19 Edited by Pr1mus (3916 posts) -

I hate everything about everything and everyone! In fact i just hate everyone.

But it felt good hearing Jeff tear TWD apart some.

#20 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Hobbes2 said:

Best Moment really should have had the Walking Dead sudden-murder scene as a runner-up, if not the winner.

No, Best Moment is when your enemy in Asura's Wrath starts doing QTE button prompts, and ass you start winning, he starts failing the prompts.

Yeah, I think that takes it.

#21 Edited by Barrabas (326 posts) -

I was going to argue that SSX is a better classic revival than most of the games they mentioned. Then I remembered there were Wii versions no one bought, so maybe that doesn't count as classic.

#22 Edited by bushpusherr (787 posts) -

The moment in Journey probably would have been my choice, but I don't mind the nominations. I don't like TWD nearly as much as most people on forums seem to, so I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see it get some thoughtful criticism instead of everyone just gushing over it all the time.

Dark Souls is also my personal 2012's 2011 game of the year, but I'm not sure if any of them even played the additional content, which makes sense given their perspectives on it last year, so I have nothing to complain about there.

And I totally agree with Vaas as best character of the year, easily.

Also, I'm not sure how classic the original Spelunky is considered to be on PC, but I thought that might have gotten a mention for the classic revival category.

#23 Posted by BaconGames (3423 posts) -

@Barrabas said:

I was going to argue that SSX is a better classic revival than most of the games they mentioned. Then I remembered there were Wii versions no one bought, so maybe that doesn't count as classic.

It was worth a mention at least.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@Turambar

@Hobbes2 said:

Best Moment really should have had the Walking Dead sudden-murder scene as a runner-up, if not the winner.

No, Best Moment is when your enemy in Asura's Wrath starts doing QTE button prompts, and as you start winning, he starts failing the prompts.

Or the one where you're dodging planets in the true ending DLC.
#25 Posted by BaconGames (3423 posts) -

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

Forza Horizon should have at least been brought up in the best music category. Those punks.

#27 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@Quebec_Classique: It was upto Vinny though and he obviously didn't feel that it deserved his vote compared to other games he voted for.

#28 Posted by Destinycero (32 posts) -

I have no strong feelings one way or the other

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@BaconGames

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

I never even heard them talk about it on the bombcast which I'm sure has caught many duders off guard.
#30 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

I don't get the love for Vaas. It is "best character" not "best acting". The acting was good but there is literally nothing to the character.

Lee is the best IMO and I don't think it's close. Javik sounds pretty awesome but, hey, I didn't get to see him. Stupid DLC.

Also bummer that Fez didn't win best music to me. Hotline Miami is great but Fez is so unique and the music covers so much ground in tone. Really incredible stuff. It's my album of the year, personally, which I would never think to choose game music. It's that good.

#31 Edited by Castiel (2616 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I was surprised to hear them diss clem like that. I think she was really well done.

No I really liked moments of that game a lot, it has it's highs and lows, but Clem always annoyed me a bit. I didn't like the way her dialogue was written and delivered. For me it quickly became WAY to obvious that she was going to be the emotional pull of the game. I don't like when movies or games, games suffers from this more than movies, try to hard to play on my emotions: the harder they try the less effective it is for me. If they had chosen a more subtle way of moving me emotionally with the Clem character it might have worked.

There were though other moments in the game that moved me.

#32 Edited by Master_Funk (733 posts) -

Patrick calling twisted metal 'dogshit' is weird when he thought it was alright during the quick look and TNT. Getting ready for more Patrick moments to make me crazy.

Also Nanako is the best child character in a video game ever, and Clementine can't hold a candle to that.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@Master_Funk said:

Patrick calling twisted metal 'dogshit' is weird when he thought it was alright during the quick look and TNT. Getting ready for more Patrick moments to make me crazy.

He really does have this all or nothing tendency when talking about the quality of games/movies/etc doesn't he?

#34 Posted by BaconGames (3423 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@BaconGames

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

I never even heard them talk about it on the bombcast which I'm sure has caught many duders off guard.

Regardless of my feelings on it, I find it at the least odd if not aggravating that something like this can swoop in literally right at the end and affect discussion. That it's a pretty funny spectacle for 45 minutes that you trudge through to see the funny bits is worth discussing but a GOTY contender? I smell something fishy, or rather bug mars fishy.

#35 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

@Master_Funk said:

Also Nanako is the best child character in a video game ever, and Clementine can't hold a candle to that.

I concur.

#36 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4679 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@BaconGames

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

I never even heard them talk about it on the bombcast which I'm sure has caught many duders off guard.

It did for me. I never heard of this game until today and it gets mentioned multiple times.

#37 Posted by Sless (64 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Master_Funk said:

Patrick calling twisted metal 'dogshit' is weird when he thought it was alright during the quick look and TNT. Getting ready for more Patrick moments to make me crazy.

He really does have this all or nothing tendency when talking about the quality of games/movies/etc doesn't he?

I really like listening to Patrick but he does have this tendency to have these moments of crazy hyperbole. Like this with twisted metal, he called twilight princess a bad game, some other ones.

#38 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

The moment they picked for Spec Ops wasn't the right moment, and the overall winner should have been that moment. 
 
Also, no Spec Ops for best music. And overlooking Hatham as a character- even if he didn't deserve the win, he deserved a mention.

#39 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

Like WTF is Frog Fractions and why are they bringing it up now when I have never heard of it before...Kinda weird

#40 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

Doesn't that make it a shoe in for the VGA's GOTY? ;)

#41 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

This thread is going to go places. And it's already gone to some pretty stupid places. Can't wait to see just how awful it gets in here.

#42 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I was surprised to hear them diss clem like that. I think she was really well done.

Same.

@Turambar said:

@Hobbes2 said:

Best Moment really should have had the Walking Dead sudden-murder scene as a runner-up, if not the winner.

No, Best Moment is when your enemy in Asura's Wrath starts doing QTE button prompts, and as you start winning, he starts failing the prompts.

Almost forgot about that, so good!

#43 Posted by GunstarRed (5190 posts) -

What is there to complain about? They've all said some crazy things (maybe not Vinny) and I wouldn't want it any other way... in fact I want crazier opinions in the upcoming podcasts.

#44 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

@august said:

UH, ACTUALLY

Well said brother.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

don't be a big grumpy head

also you could level those same complaints against walking dead so vOv

#46 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

don't be a big grumpy head

also you could level those same complaints against walking dead so vOv

I never did figure out whether that's a happy face, or the double fisting of love and peace fingers.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

don't be a big grumpy head

also you could level those same complaints against walking dead so vOv

I never did figure out whether that's a happy face, or the double fisting of love and peace fingers.

it's a shrug, v's are the arms and O is the body/head, gosh

#48 Edited by BaconGames (3423 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

don't be a big grumpy head

also you could level those same complaints against walking dead so vOv

@KittyVonDoom said:

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

Doesn't that make it a shoe in for the VGA's GOTY? ;)

You know, I've been thinking on it and the part where TWD is a game (sans the shooty bits) factoring into the the presentation/story/acting makes that great. As far as I can tell, except for playing with your expectations, Frog Fractions is a novelty. It's a fair point to say that three games that rely more on presentation than gameplay are getting high praise (Journey, TWD, and Asura's Wrath) but even if they are comparable, Frog Fractions is leagues below what those games are and what they do.

But I guess that's the point of personal top 10's. Must have struck a hell of a chord for Brad to cut Fez and Spelunky to put that game in there. I'm as close as I've ever been to simply saying anyone giving that game a mention during GOTY is wrong, but I'll refrain. Unless it gets on the actual top 10 which will have to make me the angriest I've ever been at anything this site has done. Which I realize is kinda funny if you take a step back and look at it but whatever, I love video games too much to not get in a good scrap about it :D

Also, I don't want to be a big grumpy head about it but literally any other game would at least seem reasonable or worth mentioned than Frog Fractions to me. It's actually quite bizarre to realize how worked up I'm getting over this but here I am. Man, video games.

#49 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

@BaconGames said:

Can I say no matter how surreal Frog Fractions gets, it's still a flash game that looks and plays like dog shit? Alright, cool.

don't be a big grumpy head

also you could level those same complaints against walking dead so vOv

I never did figure out whether that's a happy face, or the double fisting of love and peace fingers.

it's a shrug, v's are the arms and O is the body/head, gosh

I guess maybe if you're pacman...

#50 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2156 posts) -

@Quebec_Classique said:

Why was Dark Souls not even on the list of nominees for 2012's 2011 game of the year? The PC release, the DLC and the fact that it was overlooked on last years list should have made it a lock for the category. I get that Vinny was the only one to actually play it, and that none of them played it in 2012, but it should have at least been mentioned in the discussion.

Brad, Ryan and Vinny all played it last year. The whole point of the award is that it got serious play time this year.