The Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts complain thread.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By ReCkLeSs_X

Asura's Wrath boss QTE fail sequences take the cake for me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ShaggE

They chose game X instead of game Y! Arglbargl rage!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By crusader8463

I "played" Asura's Wrath the other day and I just really don't get their love for it. I found it so god dam boring, and none of these amazing moments they talk about really felt like anything neat to me.

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By halfpastwhenever

They should have nominated They Bleed Pixels for best music.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By kerse

Best moment was real weird, I don't know that I would call cracking the code a moment and if you wanna call it specifically the dog and the fox thing and realizing what it means, that was awesome but I wouldn't call it the best moment. And if not specifically that moment, cutting Asura's Wrath and The Walking Dead because there were too many is even worse. I also don't know about the best music category, but to be honest I didn't play any of the games chosen so I guess I can't really say anything, but I thought Asura's Wrath had some fantastic music. I also thought Persona 4: Arena had great music, even though its all basically remixed songs from games that are a few years old, I really enjoyed it.

But its just like my opinion man, and when it comes down to it these are all opinion and they made decent cases for their chioces.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Andorski

I find internet bickering about other's opinions annoying as the next guy, but I do think Brad should comment on not giving Diablo 3 a spot on his top 10 list despite giving it a 5/5.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By FourWude

@crusader8463 said:

I "played" Asura's Wrath the other day and I just really don't get their love for it. I found it so god dam boring, and none of these amazing moments they talk about really felt like anything neat to me.

The Man Doth Rage.

And then he rages some more. He rages that's what he does, as the hours and the minutes go by. Each stroke of the clock, tick follows tock, follows tick, follows tock.

Asura says, "I don't care who you are"....

Here's to raging.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By AssInAss

@ThatFrood said:

"The" moment in Spec Ops is the best moment in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

Yup, "that" moment is when the game reveals what it's all about. Especially with Captain Walker's face reflected on the screen.

But then they don't seem as hot on Spec Ops as me and some other people. It's my 2nd favorite game this year, huge game-changer for adaptive dialogue along with story progression, critique of modern military shooters and an examination of shooting in games. It's not just special for its amazing ending!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

TRAIN SIMULATOR 2013 SHOULD HAVE TAKEN ALL

TRAIN SIMULATOR BITCH / MUTHAFUCKA WHATCHU KNOW

TRAIN SIMILATOR BITCH / WATCH DA TRAIN GO

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#60  Edited By golguin

@Terramagi said:

XCOM was a bad game, and only gets a pass because "holy shit it's a fucking TBS in the year 2012".

The game mechanics barely function, entire sections of the gameplay are irrelevant (who the fuck ever uses SHIVs or interception after the first month), and the aliens are literally static spawns that don't move, except when they decide to teleport from waypoint to waypoint, often into the middle of your squad.

Also, Syndicate shouldn't be on that list. It's not even the same genre.

I wouldn't call XCOM a bad game, it was okay, but it pales in comparison to other tactical/strategy RPGs out there. What I don't understand is people calling it's gameplay anything positive in light of other games in the genre like Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil Survivor, and Disgaea. My team wiped plenty of times on numerous occasions in those games. No one died on my play of XCOM. No one. I barely took damage in the game. All the cyberdisk hype on the bombcast fell flat since it only had the chance to act on 1 single occasion and it missed its shot. I killed every other cyberdisk before they got a chance to act. The chryssalid talk was also a joke. I only fought 3 zombies in the entire game and it was only that many because of the civilian kills they got on a terror mission before I had a chance to do anything.

XCOM was compelling in the beginning because I was still learning new abilities and figuring out the systems. Once I figured out overwatch snipers (2-3) with squad sight the game was essentially done.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By rachelepithet

Uh, yeah, best new char could be Kenny or Lee, the farmer cannibals or their Mama. Best moment shouldve been cut-throat bitch shooting the reporter (maybe less so Doug) or the sports-kid (possible?) at roadside.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By Animasta

vinny and patrick did not fight for big bo :(

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jmood88

I was never on the "Patrick sucks" bandwagon but he has been really irritating the past few weeks.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AssInAss

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Uh, yeah, best new char could be Kenny or Lee, the farmer cannibals or their Mama. Best moment shouldve been cut-throat bitch shooting the reporter (maybe less so Doug) or the sports-kid (possible?) at roadside.

Yeah, the above reaction video is great too. I had to shout out WHAT THE FUCK when that happened.

We all know what we're doing if we see her again in Season 2.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By Phatmac
@Animasta

BIG BOOOOOO!
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Dark Souls 2 is 2012's 2011's blah, Double Dragon Neon has the best music, Spec Ops the Line has another ending if you kill all the guys instead of dying to them, and arguments were pretty dull thus far; not much vinny-talk so far, hope he speaks up at some point about something. I'm curious as to why Jeff had a specific change of heart regarding Double Dragon since they haven't really talked about it since he poured out the hateorade (though the QL is an interlude I guess). Skullmageddon/Pomeranian = best new character.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@HistoryInRust said:

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

TRAIN SIMULATOR 2013 SHOULD HAVE TAKEN ALL

TRAIN SIMULATOR BITCH / MUTHAFUCKA WHATCHU KNOW

TRAIN SIMILATOR BITCH / WATCH DA TRAIN GO

did forklift simulator come out this year?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MetalGearSunny

The last thing that people had to brute force in Fez was hidden in the game's soundtrack, right? People brute forced it before the soundtrack was released. (If I'm not mistaken)

Mcmurrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By Mcmurrow

People complaining about Frog Fractions coming out of nowhere is giving me strong flashbacks to when Esperanza Spalding beat Justin Bieber at the Grammys and all the Bieber fans cried bullshit because they'd never heard of her.

In other words, I can't stop laughing and I love it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70  Edited By crusader8463

@FourWude: It just felt to me like they made a story out of nothing but the parts of Dragon Ball Z where they squat and scream at each other. It's like 6 hours of buff shirtless Japanese anime men squatting and screaming at each other. To each their own I guess. Just glad I waited for it to be on sale before buying it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By shiftymagician

@MetalGearSunny said:

The last thing that people had to brute force in Fez was hidden in the game's soundtrack, right? People brute forced it before the soundtrack was released. (If I'm not mistaken)

Last I checked people were mainly looking for clues in the soundtrack for the solution to the Black Monolith puzzle. Things were found within the music files but I believe there was nothing found to help solve it. Even now its solution is only thanks to a successful brute force effort by the online community. I hope one day either someone or Phil Fish himself explains that puzzle's solution if there really is one.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By Fallen189

This thread will be the fucking worst thread on the website, and mods would be remiss not to shut it down immediately

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By Animasta

@Fallen189 said:

This thread will be the fucking worst thread on the website, and mods would be remiss not to shut it down immediately

no way, best to keep all the terrible people in one place

so the mods can suspend with reckless abandon later

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Walking Dead doesn't count because you have to pay for the DLC just like Mass Effect 3

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Phatmac
@MetalGearSunny

Walking Dead doesn't count because you have to pay for the DLC just like Mass Effect 3

The Walking Dead is an episodic series just like everything else that Telltale has done.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@Phatmac said:

@MetalGearSunny

The Walking Dead is an episodic series just like everything else that Telltale has done.

Yeah I know. I wasn't actually being serious lol

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#77  Edited By musubi

I will fist fight patrick over calling Twisted Metal dogshit. Man, fuck that noise that game was dope as fuck. And this is coming from a guy who as a kid had my virginal Playstation gaming experience with Twisted Metal 2 and Resident Evil. Both games that are up there on the list of games that influenced me. It was just fun. There were reasons to pick different cars for different modes and maps and the story was dumb cheesy fun. And even though it was real dumb the "twist" in the sweet tooth story was pretty rad I thought.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Milkman

My only complaints is that someone didn't jump the table and punch Jeff in the mouth when he said Clem was "really bad." But I still agree that Vaas is the best new character.

The only category that I disagreed with the winner was Best Moment because Fez sucks.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Milkman
@Fallen189
Probably. As long as people realize that you can disagree with someone without being a dickhead but who the hell am I kidding? This will get ugly.
JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JordanK85

I actually appreciate this thread. "Complaining" comments are the most fun to read when compared to comments that basically reduce to "thanks for the validation, guys!" or "sweet". People who know this thread exists will come here to complain as well rather than complaining in the comments so I can get all the wheat with none of the chaf. Or is it the other way around? Either way this thread will be fun.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#81  Edited By Yummylee

@Phatmac said:

@Animasta

BIG BOOOOOO!

I'm pretty sure they only put Big Bo in there as joke, because besides his novel name, there's not much to him. He's just kind of a typical black guy stereotype, though to be fair that's the MO for the majority of the Binary Domain cast. Not saying he's a bad character by any means, but... c'mon now people.

Anywhoo the only complaint I have was when they couldn't even remember Johnny Powell's name and cut him because they thought he starred in the original The Darkness game when he didn't. Oh, and while not necessarily a complaint, but I completely disagree with Patrick about Jackie and thought he was a largely annoying and mostly disposable character with a rather predictable end. Was happy to hear Jeff's counter to Patrick putting Jackie's arc on a pedestal.

EDIT: Also about Spec Ops - White Phosphorus moment >>>> Ending/Epilogue moment I'd say.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#82  Edited By TheHT

@AssInAss said:

Yeah, the above reaction video is great too. I had to shout out WHAT THE FUCK when that happened.

Hahaha, yup. I think mine was a reactionary "NO!" followed by an emphatic "WHAT THE FUCK", all shouting of course.

I can hardly imagine what it was like to have notifications on and seeing "Carly with remember tha-BAM".

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ghostiet

@Sless said:

Also, completely disagreed with them calling Clementine a bad child character

what

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#84  Edited By Yummylee

@TheHT said:

@AssInAss said:

Hahaha, yup. I think mine was a reactionary "NO!" followed by an emphatic "WHAT THE FUCK", all shouting of course.

I can hardly imagine what it was like to have notifications on and seeing "Carly with remember tha-BAM".

Gah, sucks so bad that I had to have that spoiled for me. It was very well executed scene and I can only imagine how shocked I would have felt had I been completely oblivious to what was coming. It's my own fault I guess. I was checking up on TWD facebook page for any updates about Episode 3's European PS3 release and, well, guess what -- your average folk on Facebook are a bunch of inconsiderate twats.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ThePaleKing

The love for Frog Fractions is a bit hard to accept. I get it, yeah, it's very random, but in the end it's just taking an edutainment game and throwing a bunch of absurd humor and game references at it. If they were going to make such a big deal about it then I wish they would have at least mentioned the "twist" in Hotline Miami; at least Hotline Miami had a superb game built around the meta-commentary and irony.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86  Edited By Cincaid

I wouldn't call it complaining, but I was frankly shocked Diablo III didn't even make it on Brad's top 10 list. Some math / whatever flash game which he hasn't mentioned once before is on it, but not a game he raved on for weeks and gave a 5/5 star review?

chris24680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By chris24680

I thought Haytham Kenway from ACIII should have got a mention in best character, he had a cool 18th century James Bond vibe to him and was a much better character then Conner.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#88  Edited By Hizang

I really do agree that for a game to in this category it has to have a standout moment, where as Asuras Wrath was a game built up with these moments. However The Walking Dead had some really classic moments, Carley's death should have been up for the award.

Avatar image for perfectlizardwizard
perfectlizardwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is the year that I'm over GB. From them failing to include Dave and Drew more into the group even still, to becoming less and less spontaneous, funny and abstract on the podcast, to Jeff's outright insistance that spoilers are to be spoiled and he jokingly doesn't want those people on the site anyway, to the very opinions they have when it comes down to GoTY now, I just aren't in line with anything they're doing anymore. Love the GoTY features 'Office' style but last year was just as good in an entirely different way for me, guess it's time for me to move on... No hard feelings <3

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Rafaelfc

@perfectlizardwizard said:

Jeff's outright insistance that spoilers are to be spoiled

God, I hope they start talking more openly about games, only save the big huge spoilers (like, game changing revelations) but knowing minor stuff like "you get a cool outfit for completing mission X" is totally harmless. Maybe then, some REAL game discussion can take place, instead of the usual "woah guys, there is this moment, where, uhm.... a thing... that is relevant to the...... thing.... happens.... and...... not to spoil it for the folks at home........ but................ it's awesome" which is completely ridiculous.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Terramagi

@Rafaelfc said:

Jeff's outright insistance that spoilers are to be spoiled

God, I hope they start talking more openly about games, only save the big huge spoilers (like, game changing revelations) but knowing minor stuff like "you get a cool outfit for completing mission X" is totally harmless. Maybe then, some REAL game discussion can take place, instead of the usual "woah guys, there is this moment, where, uhm.... a thing... that is relevant to the...... thing.... happens.... and...... not to spoil it for the folks at home........ but................ it's awesome" which is completely ridiculous.

Man, I hope they just start dropping bombs all over. This "THPOILERTH" bullshit really has to fucking stop.

"Oh man, I have to sequester myself in a bunker under the earth and rip the internet wiring out of the walls of my house in order to preserve my TV show virginity! I can't know any plot points, and nobody can discuss it for fear of hurting my precious little feelings!"

It's like, fuck off. If the quality of your shit depends on not knowing somebody's a templar despite the UI outright lying to you and then going "AHA, WE SURE FOOLED YOU" you make bad shit and you should feel bad.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I couldn't believe my ears when Jeff said that Clementine was a bad character. She's leagues better than just about every child character I've seen in any kind of fiction. And yeah, I think TWD also got snubbed out of "Best Moment", especially when the Fez thing isn't really a defined "moment". 

Also, not even so much as mentioning Handsome Jack for "Best New Character" is shitty. As great as Vaas was (and could've been), Jack is superior as a character and at least as good as a villain. Vaas is taken out of the equation way too early in FC3 and never really gets any kind of arc, which really pissed me off because of how much promise the story held.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Rasmoss

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I couldn't believe my ears when Jeff said that Clementine was a bad character. She's leagues better than just about every child character I've seen in any kind of fiction. And yeah, I think TWD also got snubbed out of "Best Moment", especially when the Fez thing isn't really a defined "moment". Also, not even so much as mentioning Handsome Jack for "Best New Character" is shitty. As great as Vaas was (and could've been), Jack is superior as a character and at least as good as a villain. Vaas is taken out of the equation way too early in FC3 and never really gets any kind of arc, which really pissed me off because of how much promise the story held.

Totally with you on Clementine. To me she was a fantastic character, very well handled child character, and they weren't afraid to take her dark places either. And I thought the artwork in the game worked exceptionally well. I'm surprised nobody fought against that.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By warxsnake
@OneKillWonder_ said:
As great as Vaas was (and could've been), Jack is superior as a character and at least as good as a villain. Vaas is taken out of the equation way too early in FC3 and never really gets any kind of arc, which really pissed me off because of how much promise the story held.
You're complaining about the story, not the character; which is what that award was about. 
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The story directly impacts the potential that Vaas had as a character, so they go hand-in-hand here. There's not really much to Vaas as a character that we get to see, just some damn good and convincing acting.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Phatmac
@Rasmoss

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I couldn't believe my ears when Jeff said that Clementine was a bad character. She's leagues better than just about every child character I've seen in any kind of fiction. And yeah, I think TWD also got snubbed out of "Best Moment", especially when the Fez thing isn't really a defined "moment". Also, not even so much as mentioning Handsome Jack for "Best New Character" is shitty. As great as Vaas was (and could've been), Jack is superior as a character and at least as good as a villain. Vaas is taken out of the equation way too early in FC3 and never really gets any kind of arc, which really pissed me off because of how much promise the story held.

Totally with you on Clementine. To me she was a fantastic character, very well handled child character, and they weren't afraid to take her dark places either. And I thought the artwork in the game worked exceptionally well. I'm surprised nobody fought against that.

Patrick did I believe.
Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Gordy

I know I'm the only one that's going to say this, but I cannot believe Patrick hates the new Twisted Metal. I thought it absolutely did almost everything right in modernizing the series. Twisted Metal Black holds up about as badly as the original Twisted Metal. The new one made so many badly needed advancements to the game. It's nowhere near GOTY or anything, I just think it's the best Twisted Metal.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#98  Edited By granderojo

A much stronger case was made for Javic and Lee but they went with Vaas despite Far Cry 3 being underwhelming. Whatever Vaas is a great character, but I actually thought Citra was better voice acted as far as crazy people go.

Jeff's outright insistance that spoilers are to be spoiled and he jokingly doesn't want those people on the site anyway.

He wasn't joking and I'm not either. Kindly stop listening to the podcast if you think spoilers shouldn't be spoiled. You and your kind hold us back from it's potential and I'm sick of it. We have to wait almost a year to hear them talk about shit because you feel like it would spoil you, and by that time the ferver is died down. If you think spoilers ruin things stop listening to the podcast please. I want them to talk about the shit on their minds, while it's new.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Terramagi

@OneKillWonder_ said:

No. Handsome Jack is "holy shit guys look how fucking current our writing is! We have these me-mes and everything!"

He's a joke delivering device in the same way Clementine is a "care about this character you soulless fuck" in its most undiluted form. Really, the only way they could've made you care more about Clementine was if she had a dead puppy.

Which actually is a character.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
@Terramagi said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

No. Handsome Jack is "holy shit guys look how fucking current our writing is! We have these me-mes and everything!"

Not really. I don't remember any instance of Jack using any of the game's few bits of meme-related humor. I wish people would stop pretending that's all the game is. Yes, he is a joke-delivering device, as is everything else in the game, since the humor is one of the series' defining characteristics. But to say that's all he is simply isn't true. He still has an actual personality and says and does some pretty despicable things in the game that got to me in a way that I never expected. His character arc also goes somewhere towards the end of the game where his motives are revealed, and even though that stuff is a little rushed, it still works and makes Handsome Jack feel complete as a character.