The Goggles bet. Do you agree with the result?

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Elazul
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Elazul

Okay, So in case you haven't heard, the goggles bet has been settled and Ryan won. Do you guys agree with this? Personally, I think that Ryan got off on a technicality. When he and Vinny first made the bet, he explicitly said that he didn't think Sam Fisher would have access to ANY technology because the game was going in such a different direction from the rest of the series. At the end of the day it was all in good fun, and if Vinny's okay with it (which he seems to be) then it's fine, I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone else.

EDIT: Apologies for the initially broken-ass English. I'm pretty tired.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By asurastrike
@Elazul said:
" Okay, So in case you haven't heard, the goggles bet has been settled and Ryan won. Do you guys agree with this? Personally, I think that Ryan was got off on a technicallity. When him and Vinny first made the bet, he explicitly said that he didn't think that Sam Fisher would have access to ANY technology because the game was going in such a different direction from the rest of the series. At the end of the day it was all in good fun, and if Vinny's okay with it (which he seems to be) then it's fine, I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone else. "
They pretty clearly stated that it had to be night vision goggles specifically.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By torus

Can someone run down exactly what the bet was about? I don't exactly remember.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Elazul
@Asurastrike said:

" @Elazul said:

" Okay, So in case you haven't heard, the goggles bet has been settled and Ryan won. Do you guys agree with this? Personally, I think that Ryan was got off on a technicallity. When him and Vinny first made the bet, he explicitly said that he didn't think that Sam Fisher would have access to ANY technology because the game was going in such a different direction from the rest of the series. At the end of the day it was all in good fun, and if Vinny's okay with it (which he seems to be) then it's fine, I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone else. "

They pretty clearly stated that it had to be night vision goggles specifically. "
 Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that when they first made the bet Ryan was incredibly opposed to the idea of there being any tech in there whatsoever, and that's why they made it in the first place. They didn't even define the exact terms until a couple of months after that, so I think that technically, at the time the bet was made, Ryan was wrong. Now I'm not saying that he should have to pay Vinny back or anything dumb like that, I just think that he won on a technicality and that Vinny should have negotiated his terms better when they first made the bet.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By asurastrike
@torus said:
" Can someone run down exactly what the bet was about? I don't exactly remember. "
Whether or not Sam Fisher would use Night Vision goggles in Splinter Cell Conviction. Vinny said he would, Ryan said he wouldn't. Ryan won.
ArchV1le

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArchV1le
@Asurastrike said:
" @Elazul said:
They pretty clearly stated that it had to be night vision goggles specifically. "
Exactly. There's no "technicality" about his victory, listen to ANY episode where they discuss the bet and they specifically talk about night vision goggles, not just any technology. When Ryan said he didn't think Fisher would have access to any technology he was defending his stance that he would not have night vision goggles, he was not placing a bet that there would be no advanced technology in the game. They even went over the possibility of them being sonar goggles and it was established that they wold not count. Ryan's victory was fair.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Elazul
@ArchV1le said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Elazul said:
Exactly. There's no "technicality" about his victory, listen to ANY episode where they discuss the bet and they specifically talk about night vision goggles, not just any technology. When Ryan said he didn't think Fisher would have access to any technology he was defending his stance that he would not have night vision goggles, he was not placing a bet that there would be no advanced technology in the game. They even went over the possibility of them being sonar goggles and it was established that they wold not count. Ryan's victory was fair. "
Actually, the only time Ryan made it clear that he thought there wouldn't be any technology in the game was as they were first making the bet, he wasn't "defending" his stance on the matter at all. In fact at the time Ryan basically called Vinny a retard for even considering that there might be high-tech equipment in the game.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
@ArchV1le said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Elazul said:
Exactly. There's no "technicality" about his victory, listen to ANY episode where they discuss the bet and they specifically talk about night vision goggles, not just any technology. When Ryan said he didn't think Fisher would have access to any technology he was defending his stance that he would not have night vision goggles, he was not placing a bet that there would be no advanced technology in the game. They even went over the possibility of them being sonar goggles and it was established that they wold not count. Ryan's victory was fair. "
Yeah I remember the episode when they started laying out some specific guidelines. I remember it seeming too specific and unfair to Vinny. But whatever, if Vinny agreed to it than it's a fair bet. Besides everyone seems fine with the result so all is well. Bets are just good fun.

I'm really looking forward to those QOTW videos though to see what Ryan does with the fifty bones.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Elazul
@JJWeatherman said:

" @ArchV1le said:

" @Asurastrike said:
" @Elazul said:
Yeah I remember the episode when they started laying out some specific guidelines. I remember it seeming too specific and unfair to Vinny. But whatever, if Vinny agreed to it than it's a fair bet. Besides everyone seems fine with the result so all is well. Bets are just good fun.  I'm really looking forward to those QOTW videos though to see what Ryan does with the fifty bones. "
 Also, you're completely right. This is not a serious matter at all and providing everyone involved is happy with the result then it's fine. I was just wondering what the general perception of the matter is within the community. Hence the poll.
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By wwfundertaker

Yeah it was a fair bet and the end result was Vinny Lost. What Ryan said about sticking the money up your ass and then using it in gamestop, was awesome.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Elazul
@wwfundertaker said:
" Yeah it was a fair bet and the end result was Vinny Lost. What Ryan said about sticking the money up your ass and then using it in gamestop, was awesome. "
Who's ass are we talking about here?
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By wwfundertaker

Ive forgotten already but i think its Vinny`s ass.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Elazul
@wwfundertaker said:
" Ive forgotten already but i think its Vinny`s ass. "
OH GOD!!! Just for future reference, no one should ever try either of the things Ryan suggested. Particularly the "going to Gamestop" part.

Anyway, it seems that the overwhelming majority of you guys agree that Ryan deserved to win, which is totally fair enough. To be honest Vinny really should have negotiated better terms when they were laying the rules down. I'm almost 100% sure that Ryan still would've gone for the bet if it was on whether or not Sam uses ANY kind of goggles in the game. So I guess what I'm saying is that they were BOTH wrong, and as a result should have to give fifty bucks each to Brad for having such fly 'burns.
twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By twillfast
@Elazul said:
" @wwfundertaker said:
OH GOD!!! Just for future reference, no one should ever try either of the things Ryan suggested. Particularly the "going to Gamestop" part.  Anyway, it seems that the overwhelming majority of you guys agree that Ryan deserved to win, which is totally fair enough. To be honest Vinny really should have negotiated better terms when they were laying the rules down. I'm almost 100% sure that Ryan still would've gone for the bet if it was on whether or not Sam uses ANY kind of goggles in the game. So I guess what I'm saying is that they were BOTH wrong, and as a result should have to give fifty bucks each to Brad for having such fly 'burns. "
Brad's fly burns should win all bets.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Elazul
@twillfast said:
" @Elazul said:
" @wwfundertaker said:
OH GOD!!! Just for future reference, no one should ever try either of the things Ryan suggested. Particularly the "going to Gamestop" part.  Anyway, it seems that the overwhelming majority of you guys agree that Ryan deserved to win, which is totally fair enough. To be honest Vinny really should have negotiated better terms when they were laying the rules down. I'm almost 100% sure that Ryan still would've gone for the bet if it was on whether or not Sam uses ANY kind of goggles in the game. So I guess what I'm saying is that they were BOTH wrong, and as a result should have to give fifty bucks each to Brad for having such fly 'burns. "
Brad's fly burns should win all bets. "
Don't I know it. I hear that they're what makes his voice so low pitched. If he were to cut them he'd sound like Geddy Lee after being knee'd in the groin. Also, if he rubs them against a banjo it will inexplicably start playing Metallica songs of it's own accord.
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By felixlighter

Ryan won fair and square but I think Vinny shouldn't have agreed to all the stipulations.  The spirit of the original bet seemed to be about the game going in such a different direction that Sam would be stripped of virtually all his advanced tech and even the iconic 3 light night vision goggles would be gone.  The tech behind the new sonar goggles is different but they look identical to his old goggles, so Sam does keep his iconic look, which seemed like the main reason Vinny thought they would be in the game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By CptBedlam

Hmm, they started out talking about visual gadgets like NVGs in general. Ryan was of the impression that Sam Fisher would only use low tech stuff like broken mirror's etc. But when it came to the bet they reduced it specifically to NVGs. It seemed to me that Ryan got cold feet there and raised his chances a little bit there when it came to setting up the conditions. 

Technically Vinny lost but for me Sonar and NVG makes next to no difference for me considering how the bet started out (high tech vs low tech).

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Tuggah

They actually stated that Sonar goggles don't count towards the bet. I cant tell which bombcast (I think it was an event podcast)

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By the8bitNacho

Definitely.  It's been made wholly clear throughout the months since the bet was placed that it was over whether or not Sam Fisher would come equipped with night-vision goggles in this latest release in the franchise.  And, guess what?  No goggles!  Not of the night-vision sort anyhow.  There's no reason NOT to agree with how this little wager turned out.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Alexander

In what Bombcast was the bet first made? Anyone?