The one huge difference between the Bombcast and other podcasts.

• 65 results
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PercyChuggs

The Giant Bombcast guys are actually entertaining! I've been listening to Rebel FM lately, and my god, can that Nick Suttner sound any less enthusiastic about what he's talking about? Oh, but I guess he treats games like "art", and doesn't want to yuck it up. Come on. That's what's great about the Bombcast, it's not just dry talk about video games, it's entertaining, it's funny, and it's unique. While Rebel FM spends 10 minutes dryly discussing the relevance of nudity in a games plot and character development, Vinny is making awesome "1080 penis" jokes. The Giant Bombcast is the ONLY podcast in which I can turn it on in and do nothing but listen to it. Every other one is usually just background noise.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jNerd

Dude I 100% agree.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

Yeah, the bombcast is hilarious, and probably the funniest. But it's by no means the only funny podcast.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By zityz

What makes it work is that it seams human. It's like you and 4 of your buddies just sitting down and talking about games and random shit, only you don't do anything but laugh your ass off.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By turboman

1up yours in it's prime(Garnett, Luke, Shane, John)>anyother podcast ever

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Whisperkill

No, I enjoy their INTELLECTUAL and SOPHISTICATED talks about video games, its very enjoyable... you make them sound pretentious, which is definatley not true, (GOD I HATE THAT WORD!!)

In fact I kind of dislike the Bomcasts overuse of humor, it can get annoying, the last time I can remember them actually having a smart discussion about something is the GOTY podcast debate, that ws awesome and it was a prime example of WHY I LISTEN TO PODCASTS. I like humor to be a bit rationed, having it is great, but it should be in moderation.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By turboman

also, their GOTY podcast was the best episode ever

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24
TurboMan said:
"also, their GOTY podcast was the best episode ever"
That was podcasting at its most epic. It was one of the most impressive near 3 hour audio files I have ever listened to, not that I have listened to many.

Bombcast is podcasting nirvana, 'nuf said.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

zityz said:
"What makes it work is that it seams human. It's like you and 4 of your buddies just sitting down and talking about games and random shit, only you don't do anything but laugh your ass off."
Agreed.  Their chemistry together is what gets me to listen.  It's sort of like just being in a room with dudes just kind of chatting about video games.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Red

I guess I agree. Along with some of the IGN Podcasts, the GBcast is one of the few podcasts that I won't fall asleep in.

Rebel FM isn't bad in any way, though.
CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By CountRockula

The Giant Bombcast is definitely the funniest podcast I listen to, and I love it for that, but I do think there's something to be said for discussion that's more...maybe not intellectual, necessarily, but nuanced?  I've been listening to Rebel FM recently too, and the thing I know I can expect from that podcast, and that I appreciate, is more serious, in-depth discussions on various themes in games.  Sometimes it can get kind of heavy-handed, like with this week's discussion of mature content in games, and sometimes I do wish they'd step back and take things a little less seriously.  There's room for both styles, though, and I like that kind of diversity in my podcasts.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Nothing beats Brad talking about his ant infestation.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By bartholomew999

The Bombcast is number 1, I'd give a tie to Podtoid and Listen-Up.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
theMcNasty said:
"     I haven't listened to the Bombcast since myPod went out.  I'm sure the folks at the gym thought I was a raving loon from laughing while running.  Oh well!
"
Oh yes I have also had this happen to me. One of my favorite moments was when Jeff was talking about taking a shot gun to an ant hill and I burst out in laughter, but I was also at a Sears so everyone was looking at me like I was some sort of crazy hobo.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_

I like the less-serious bombcast. I might actually care to listen to things like Rebel FM if I actually gave a flying shit about anyone's serious opinion on the gaming industry. That's also why I love the Three Red Lights podcast.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Hamz

Without trying to sound like I'm trolling here or causing some rift with the 1UP crowd that came to GiantBomb I have to say the Rebel FM folks and generally anyone from 1UP just take themselves far too seriously when it comes to video games coverage. Thats why the serious tone of their podcasts is just utterly un-listenable for me.

The Bombcast is a brilliant mixture of serious, factual and whacky conversation with the drinks section including the more personal touch. They don't take themselves too serious and they don't decide to make big issues out of small announcements.

Personally I find the Rebel FM and 1UP folks to be far too pretentious. Something GiantBomb has thankfully not fallen into being.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Bombcast is the best gaming podcast out there no questions asked

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By KillerFly

Can't we all just get along?  I enjoy my serious gaming theory discussion along with my random somewhat-video game-related hilarity.

Mandaray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mandaray

There's a reason Bombcast is the only video gaming podcast I listen to, and that's because it's funny. (Also, it has Jeff Gerstmann in it. But then Jeff and funny are pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned.) I love the fact that they go off on totally random tangents (talking about their first sound cards, for instance) and that they freely rant about things they do and don't like. It all feels natural and yes, there are times when I zone out and stop paying 100% attention to what they're saying if they're talking about a game I either don't like or will never play. But then they start talking about something random and I'm back in. That's OK with me.

It's also the only podcast I listen to that's longer than an hour. For the most part I like shorter podcasts, but with Bomcast, more is better. Hell, if it ended up being three hours long I'd probably still listen to the whole thing. <3 Bombcast rocks.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, the GBcast has enough humor to keep it entertaining. I would have to agree that it is most definitely one of the best podcasts out on the web.

Another reason I like it so much is because I was a big Hotspot man back before Jeff got iced, and the best episode of that was when they went on the insane tangent of  "Gaming for me is a Religion and Haze is the S**T!" Which is made even more funny by how much its being censored. The GB cast is like that, but at least one of those every episode.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Milkman

They're just different outlooks. Giant Bomb takes a much more fun and less serious take on the game industry, while the Rebel FM podcast treats the industry very seriously. There is nothing wrong with either one of them. It's just different. Just because they take things seriously doesn't make them "pretentious", which is currently my least favorite word like ever.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman
Jayge said:
"I like the less-serious bombcast. I might actually care to listen to things like Rebel FM if I actually gave a flying shit about anyone's serious opinion on the gaming industry. That's also why I love the Three Red Lights podcast.
"
I really don't get what's wrong with looking at the game industry seriously...
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the Bombcast to bits, but the pinnacle of video game podcasting was GFW Radio: The Brodeo.
I was heartbroken when that podcast disappeared.
Darren Gladstone, Sean Malloy, Ryan Scott, Shawn Elliott and Jeff Green with the occasional appearence by Anthony Gallegos and Robert Ashley had a hilarious, intelligent and genuinely interesting discourse about all manners of gaming. Especially for what was supposed to be a PC podcast.
Great chemistry. Fantastic guests (Especially during GDC) with everybody from Rod Humble to Warren Spector to Ken Levine showing up and actually having chats without having to toe the company line seeing as they must've felt comfortable around those chaps.

I'm not saying the Bombcast is dumb or anything, seeing as it's been one of the highlights of my week for a year now. But I really miss The Brodeo.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By azteris

I don't understand why if you take a few minutes to seriously talk about something we all spend countless hours enjoying, your suddenly a pretentious douchebag.

I love the Bombcast, Listen-Up/1Up Yours, and Rebel FM.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By End_Boss
PercyChuggs said:
"The Giant Bombcast guys are actually entertaining! I've been listening to Rebel FM lately, and my god, can that Nick Suttner sound any less enthusiastic about what he's talking about? Oh, but I guess he treats games like "art", and doesn't want to yuck it up. Come on. That's what's great about the Bombcast, it's not just dry talk about video games, it's entertaining, it's funny, and it's unique. While Rebel FM spends 10 minutes dryly discussing the relevance of nudity in a games plot and character development, Vinny is making awesome "1080 penis" jokes. The Giant Bombcast is the ONLY podcast in which I can turn it on in and do nothing but listen to it. Every other one is usually just background noise.
"
Dude, yes.
Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rorschach

Rebel FM is awesome, and anyone who disagrees is a terrible person. Also Nick Suttner is leaving the podcast now, so sit with that bad joo joo.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

I actually look forward to their podcasts.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Yep the Bombcast is the only podcast I listen and really the only one I have listened to.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By WickedCobra03

I personally love Nick Suttner and I am totally bummed that he is going into game testing or whatever.  I mean it is a great job for him to give feedback about what is good and bad about gameplay aspects of the game.  But it sucks that I will not be able to hear him on the radio shows!

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Steven

I love the bombcast no matter what the tone happens to be.  I like to listen to intelligent and funny people talk about stuff and I enjoy listening in.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By babylonian

Listening to the Bombcast and Listen UP (formerly 1UP Yours) every week is pretty much the perfect balance of hilarious and serious game discussion. Although I find myself getting fed up with Garnett and those guys infinitely more often than I am with the Bombcast crew.

"Pretentious" is absolutely the right word for 1UP's podcasts at times. They could definitely take themselves a little less seriously.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
Milkman said:
"Jayge said:
"I like the less-serious bombcast. I might actually care to listen to things like Rebel FM if I actually gave a flying shit about anyone's serious opinion on the gaming industry. That's also why I love the Three Red Lights podcast.
"
I really don't get what's wrong with looking at the game industry seriously...
"
Nothing is wrong with looking at the games industry seriously. I just don't give a shit about what some auto-fellating asshats have to say about more serious subjects. I have my opinions, I know my opinions, I don't really need theirs, especially because most of them are terrible writers and commentators in the first place. An example being your (intended?) namesake, James Cocksucker "Milkman" Mielke.
LuchaDeerFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LuchaDeerFear

Rebel FM is alright but the Bombcast is by far my favorite podcast I listen to. Its definitely the humor that sets it apart mainly. The un-pretentious nature helps too. And the fact that we've seen this thing grow after the shittyness that was the Gerstmanngate.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArchScabby

yeah my favorite podcast's are the ones that have more random funny stuff, than just game news and discussion like:
GiantBombcast
Talkradar
Three Red Lights
Game Scoop
and sometimes N4g radio.

y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By y0y0

i listen to 1up listen up, maximum PC, Pc gamer, hotspot, gamespot UK however the giantbomcast is definitely the most entertaining.

Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Big_D

I personally love IGN's 360 podcast. I don't even own a 360 and I still love listening to it. Maybe I don't mind it because they never actually talk about 360 games? But they love to talk about Lost.

Yo games is SWEET!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_
Big_D said:
"I personally love IGN's 360 podcast. I don't even own a 360 and I still love listening to it. Maybe I don't mind it because they never actually talk about 360 games? But they love to talk about Lost.

Yo games is SWEET!
"
COOOOOOBBRAAAAAAAAAAAA!
tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39  Edited By tofford

I always look like an idiot on the bus when i start laughing haha

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Boyling

I totally agree with the original post. I'm sorry, Rebel FM, but you're dry and pretentious. The only reason I even listened to that show was because of Chuff, but that's not enough to make me suffer through another episode.

Now, if the Bombcast had Chuff on as a guest... that would be glorious!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By sweep  Moderator
PercyChuggs said:
"The Giant Bombcast guys are actually entertaining!"

Also, they have drinks.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kohe321

100% agree as well. They can talk about any subject and make it entertaining. It's the best podcast ever.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cheapoz

I love the Bombcast because it's 4 entertaining guys, not people trying to be something, not Garnett Lee playing a character, just guys talkin games.

(no offence to Garnett, I like Listen Up, but he does play a parody of himself on the show)
TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TEAMHOLT
Babylonian said:
"Listening to the Bombcast and Listen UP (formerly 1UP Yours) every week is pretty much the perfect balance of hilarious and serious game discussion. Although I find myself getting fed up with Garnett and those guys infinitely more often than I am with the Bombcast crew. "Pretentious" is absolutely the right word for 1UP's podcasts at times. They could definitely take themselves a little less seriously."
I find it's mostly a few specific people who really put me off, like the former 1Up guys who went onto do Area5.

GFW Radio was the perfect mix for me. They would have genuinely intriguing and intelligent discussions about various aspects of the games industry, then break off into Shawn Elliott talking about him and his friends dropping dicks from an airplane in Second Life.
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By roofy

1UP FM was when Nick, Phil, Anthony and Tina shined. That podcast was really fun to listen to.

Bombcast is my favourite because it reminds me of the Hotspot in its haydays.
There is hope for RebelFM yet if you listen to the latest podcast; Robert Ashely is an unstopable freak lmao

Osietra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Osietra

The bombcast makes I need to money, and fulfill on my desire. Gaming!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The Bombcast is probably the most consistently good gaming podcast out there right now. 1UP Yours is still decent in its new form as ListenUP, but it just isn't the same without Shane. Gamers With Jobs is one that I don't hear many people mention, but I tend to think it's pretty good. RebelFM has been pretty mediocre, but I agree with what roofy said above, the most recent episode with Robert Ashley is very enetertaining.

Speaking of Robert Ashley, be sure to check out this "A Life Well Wasted" podcast. It's not really a typical video game podcast. Instead of being a grab bag of current news and assorted discussion, it takes a look at one specific issue such as the death of EGM or video game collectors.

luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By luthorcrow
TurboMan said:
"1up yours in it's prime(Garnett, Luke, Shane, John)>anyother podcast ever"
1UP had the best theme song, hands down but the actual podcast, more of a videocast really was not better in my book.  Actually On The Spot when Jeff was on it with the Conan O Bryan look alike was pretty good.  I still catch the videocasts from Game Trailers but the Bombcast is the only one that I really care about.
NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NintenDood

Bombcast is THE BEST gaming, I mean, podcast, there is! :)

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By musdy

The bombcast is the best podcast to not need $11 000 to be good. (*cough*Rebel FM*cough*)