The "Say Nice Things About the Staff" Thread!

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGremp

I've seen a few threads that are like "Who's your favorite Staff member?" and the recent Personality Breakdown thread, and decided that we should make a thread without the negatives, because most of those threads wound up being "This one is my least favorite because..."

I'll start it off.

Jeff is freaking hilarious.  He's been one of my favorite writers ever since I discovered Gamespot way back.  He's also probably started more than half of the Giant Bomb inside jokes and repeated phrases like "Dude, YES." and many of the Persona 4 related jokes.  I think of Jeff when I think of Giant Bomb.

Ryan is an idea man.  Who else would've thought to review game-based movies?  As AZ123 said in his thread, he also has a great screen presence.  He never seems awkward or dull, as the TANGs are often the most energetic videos on the site.  He also does a great job hosting the Bombcast and keeping things interesting.

Vinny is an all around cool guy.  He cracks some great jokes on the bombcasts, and did an amazing job pressing "X" to continue for the first few episodes of the ER.  He's become a bigger and more up-front presence over the history of Giant Bomb.  In the beginning of GB, it was rare to see Vinny, and people loved it whenever he was involved.

Brad has amazing knowledge and understanding for the gaming business.  (Once again stealing from AZ123...) He's a brilliant writer, and always has an interesting point on each subject in the Bombcast.  And I simply couldn't make this description without mentioning the voice.  The voice is awesome. 'Nuff said.

Drew and Dave are the personalities behind the scenes.  You don't see them much, but when they do show up, it's like going to see a distant relative that you don't get to talk to very often.  It's always exciting news when they visit the bombcast.

It's pretty easy to sum up Jeff, Ryan, and Vinny's traits by watching this video:

Come and help me totally overwhelm them with compliments until it makes them sick! lol.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Am I the only one that is deeply disturbed by these sorts of threads?

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGremp
MB said:
Well, the line of gross love towards the staff was kinda crossed when the Giant Bomb song came out, so most people have gotten past the disgusting-ness of it. xD
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By buzz_clik

Now, THIS is a thread I can get behind. I'm not going to single each of the guys out, but the reason I love 'em is because they're witty, well-informed and cram a kazillion pop culture references into everything. Plus when life was going against 'em, they made this immensely impressive corner of the internet. Their genuine camaraderie really shines through in everything they do.

Oh, and a minor thing: they've all got such great and distinct voices on the podcast. There are too many podcasts out there with dudes who all sound similar, and I can't tell them apart when they're speaking to each other.

P.S. They gave us the Noby Noby Boy QL video. If that's not the cherry placed upon a mile-high sundae, I don't know what is.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
buzz_clik said:
Now, THIS is a thread I can get behind. I'm not going to single each of the guys out, but ... [more]
Couldn't have said it better myself.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60
MB said:
No you are not, I am as well.

But that you're in the movies video is hilarious anyway. I love the way it tells jeff to walk side ways and he just stands there but it still works.
sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sjosz

I don't have anything in particular to say about the individual staff members, but the entire vibe giant bomb and bombcasts send out feels good.... very good. This is probably one of my most enjoyable things to listen to while I'm at work and I often end up chuckling or laughing out loud at some of the craziness. The opening 5 minutes of the latest bombcast (only drink this after pouring it on my wrestling jersey?) had me close to tears of laughter.
Keep the awesomeness coming!

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

I thoroughly enjoy all the GB staff's input and respective talents for different reasons.
The nicest thing I can actually say about any of them though is that Dave actually recommended one of my reviews.  First of all, rarely anyone besides my friends actually read the goddamn things, and even fewer people actually recommend them.  I thought that was nice of him.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

It's pretty hard to say anything bad about the staffers

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Puppy

Vinny is one of the funniest people that I have heard of.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Osaladin
MB said:

I guess nerds and geeks need celebrities as well. I think the guys are awesome, and what they have accomplished is amazing, but I don't go to sleep dreaming about them or anything.
LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

Jeff is cool

Ryan is cool

Vinny is cool

Brad is cool

there, thats how i think about the GB staff : )

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By JackiJinx
@MB: Nope.

The staff is cool. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14  Edited By DrRandle

I love them because I feel like they're honest individuals. I don't always agree with their views, but I never get the feeling that they have bad opinions. I love the way they feel about not just video games, but the industry as a whole. Their views feel very grounded. Not only that, but I appreciate that they're honestly funny, they don't just think their funny and continue with it. That can't be said about most other video game podcasts and videos out there. (I'm looking at you, Game Scoop!.)

These guys just are great, and there's no doubt about it. It's nice to have people in the media I can actually respect and look up to, as a prospective media employee.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Alexander
MB said:
It has the potential to become disturbing provided people don't get disturbed. Stop being disturbed you're being disturbing.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Whisperkill

I recall on the lat podcast Brad was eating a salad from Quiznos.....

who the hell gets a SALAD from Quiznos?!...
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By lemon360
@TheGremp: i agree the staff is awesome!! i wonder what a fifth personality would be like? Anyway i love ryan and jeff's silly antics in video games and on the mic.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By mike
JackiJinx said:
@MB: Nope.The staff is cool. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise.
Of course they're cool...but there is a certain level of worship by some members that is the disturbing part.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
MB said:
JackiJinx said: @MB: Nope.The staff is cool. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise. Of course they're cool...but there ... [more]
My heart belongs to Giant Bomb?
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#21  Edited By JackiJinx
@MB: Terribly sorry. The nope was the only part that was meant for your reply. The cool comment was just to stay on topic. I think it's rather disturbing that people make threads like this about anyone. Hell, if there was a thread praising some random celebrity or some--for lack of a better word--common folk, it'd be the same amount of creepiness to me.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By delta_ass

Dave and Brad seem to still be interested in PC gaming, so they get mad love from me.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Nick

These Giantbomb guys are some cool cats.