#1 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1291 posts) -

Did anyone else notice this...the whole LABAAAATT instead of simply Labatt (la-batt). Was this a joke I missed out on or are they just pulling a Will?

#2 Posted by TheHT (11362 posts) -

It sounds like they're saying "La-blaat". Weird but, meh.

#3 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5019 posts) -

I have no idea what are you talkiing about.

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

#5 Posted by Dom (436 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

Labatt is a Canadian Brewing company

#6 Posted by mushyhands (38 posts) -

I hear it too, but it sounds like they are saying LA-BOT.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -

Those phonetics are terrible.

It's Le-BAT. Not LA-bat. Or Lah-BAHT.

#8 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Oh no.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -

Molson's are better anyway.

Actually wait a minute, fuck beer just drink vodka.

#10 Posted by VelourMustache (54 posts) -

Ok thanks.

#11 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I remember that Ryan said "bon mots" once on the podcast and absolutely butchered it. I know he likes to say certain words weirdly (robots comes to mind) but this was just painful.

Also, I would like to use this opportunity to point out that Americans say Toronto and Montreal incorrectly

#12 Posted by Baillie (4190 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

I remember that Ryan said "bon mots" once on the podcast and absolutely butchered it. I know he likes to say certain words weirdly (robots comes to mind) but this was just painful.

Also, I would like to use this opportunity to point out that Americans say Toronto and Montreal incorrectly

Go on?

#13 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

Right, so Montreal is said as MUN-Tree-All not MON-tree-all

And Toronto is said as T'Ron-Toe not TOR-On-Toe

Essentially its our fault for not saying them in a different way from how they are spelled, so it's really just nitpicking

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4205 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

What does being American have to do with it? I bet people from Montreal say Montreal different than people in the rest of Canada. I know nobody on mainland Canada can say Newfoundland or Topsail properly.

I didn't notice the Labatt pronunciation. Maybe it's because I don't watch TV or listen to radio so I never hear the ads and no one I know drinks Labatt. We're mostly Kieth's or Candian drinkers.

#15 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

@mosespippy: My GPS can't say Topsail or Stavanger. I almost went off the road laughing first time it messed it up.

Also, I'd put money down that no one can pronounce Newfoundland right until they've been there for more than a week.

#16 Posted by fox01313 (5074 posts) -

Also Ryan is rather well known on the site to butcher the pronunciation of words voluntarily (because it's funny) or involuntarily (when nobody knows or is willing to correct him).

#17 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1291 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Molson is still kinda of pukey...drinkable, but still vomit like in taste

#18 Posted by Shimmy (184 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Those phonetics are terrible. It's Le-BAT. Not LA-bat. Or Lah-BAHT.

There you go. Though really, mispronouncing proper nouns is not a bid deal.

But executable?

No forgiveness.

#19 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1291 posts) -

@ckeats said:

@mosespippy: My GPS can't say Topsail or Stavanger. I almost went off the road laughing first time it messed it up.

Also, I'd put money down that no one can pronounce Newfoundland right until they've been there for more than a week.

the worst and i mean absolute worst is when people say NEW-FOUND-LAND

#20 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1291 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I would say that the ability is to hear the difference between le-bat and la-bat is non-existent

#21 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1677 posts) -

@ckeats said:

You talkin' about New-fnd-lnd?

#22 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1291 posts) -

In Newfoundland there is a place called Bay Vert and when a true Newf says that it sounds like Beruit

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

@Brodehouse said:

I would say that the ability is to hear the difference between le-bat and la-bat is non-existent

The importance is the stressing of the BAT rather than the La.

#24 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1291 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I need to work on my phonetics

#25 Posted by White_Silhouette (473 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

Right, so Montreal is said as MUN-Tree-All not MON-tree-all

And Toronto is said as T'Ron-Toe not TOR-On-Toe

Essentially its our fault for not saying them in a different way from how they are spelled, so it's really just nitpicking

Or if you live in the west and want to piss someone from Toronto off you say it T'Ran-Ah

#26 Posted by Getz (3028 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

The bon mots thing was purposeful; I'm sure he knows how to actually pronounce it.

#27 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

I don't always drink beer... but when I do I prefer Moosehead. Here in Canada it's not only an affront to nature... it's a beer as well.