• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

Going back and listening to the last few podcasts, something hasnt been sitting right with me. I figured it out what it was though. There are too many full seats all the time now. 4 was just about perfect. But adding in Patrick as a nigh-perma 5th almost causes chaos. Most recently this past week, everyone was trying to talk to everyone else a couple of times. Made for a poor experience. And Im sad to say its because they have 5 chairs now instead of the usual (with the occasional guest spot). And for the 5th to be taken by Kleppek is disheartening. I really dont care for the man. Dont get me wrong, he is a hell of a news person and his reviews are pretty good. I totally dig that work that he does. But as a person/personality in the Bombcast and/or videos, cant stand him. He comes across as very fake to me. Take the Madden QL. He knows that Jeff and the rest dont care for football and pitches in with the "yeah football is kinda goofy, I only like it cause my girlfriend likes it so much." But yet every Sunday you check the GB front page's Twitter feed and there he is fretting over every Bears game. That right there tells me that hes not a very genuine person. Have him on the cast ever so often, but please get back to the 4 way conversation. With some people that are actual people and not someone trying to play up to what he thinks his peers want to hear.

#1 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

Going back and listening to the last few podcasts, something hasnt been sitting right with me. I figured it out what it was though. There are too many full seats all the time now. 4 was just about perfect. But adding in Patrick as a nigh-perma 5th almost causes chaos. Most recently this past week, everyone was trying to talk to everyone else a couple of times. Made for a poor experience. And Im sad to say its because they have 5 chairs now instead of the usual (with the occasional guest spot). And for the 5th to be taken by Kleppek is disheartening. I really dont care for the man. Dont get me wrong, he is a hell of a news person and his reviews are pretty good. I totally dig that work that he does. But as a person/personality in the Bombcast and/or videos, cant stand him. He comes across as very fake to me. Take the Madden QL. He knows that Jeff and the rest dont care for football and pitches in with the "yeah football is kinda goofy, I only like it cause my girlfriend likes it so much." But yet every Sunday you check the GB front page's Twitter feed and there he is fretting over every Bears game. That right there tells me that hes not a very genuine person. Have him on the cast ever so often, but please get back to the 4 way conversation. With some people that are actual people and not someone trying to play up to what he thinks his peers want to hear.

#2 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

No, he was trying to get into football because of his girlfriend. He succeeded. 

#3 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Yeah, it's the crowded cast now. Not sure why they need five permanent seats.

And Patrick has always been dull as hell on podcasts. Didn't like him on 1UP Yours years ago or G4's Feedback either.

#4 Posted by smallmanoncampus (115 posts) -

Oh I'm sorry. Is this FREE service not good enough for you? Go find somewhere else then.

#5 Posted by SpaceRunaway (845 posts) -

I like Patrick on the bombcasts because he always seems struck with wonder about everything. I like to imagine that his wide-eyed earnestness is directly related to his youthful looks. It is also a good balance with Jeff, who hates everything.

#6 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

creeper much? Cross referencing tweets with quicklook anecdotes what are you some kind of psychic detective

#7 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Man I think the Bombcast has only gotten better since adding Patrick. He really knows his shit as well I think he is a perfect addition

#8 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Whatever the football situation is I dont really care. I will say however, that I agree. He seems to try way too hard to be funny in live events, and his personality just comes off as annoying. There have been periods where I have disliked all the GB crew (except for Vinny of course, that dude is always awesome), but adding Patrick as the 5th person doesnt really bring much too the podcast. I wouldnt mind him on when there is like crazy news going down that they want to talk about, but other than that I dont really feel he has much to bring to the table.

#9 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

another i hate patrick thread can these stop now

#10 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

I like Patrick a lot. He's funny and he's from my hometown. Go fuck yourself.

#11 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

They should remove Vinny and make Will Smith a permanent bomcaster.

And Patrick stays !

#12 Edited by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

@Liber: What heresy are you spouting???? Fuck Patrick , Vinny stays .... as for Vernon ok he is cool he can stay >:3

#13 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I like Patrick, except for the fact that he is a Bears fan.

#14 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -
@slightconfuse

another i hate patrick thread can these stop now

#15 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Another I hate Patrick thread. Very novel. I can't wait to see what happens when you find out him AND Alex are on the Bombcast tomorrow.

#16 Posted by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

He's not leaving, so we might as well stop bitching. I think if we give him time we will at least get use to him.

#17 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I like Patrick. I dislike you.

#18 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Truth, Bears fans suck. Patrick is cool though (y'know for a Bears fan)

#19 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

You cant stand listening to five people for a couple hour podcast. Try listening to the voices of the people you have killed, they're screams echoing inside your skull driving you mad, day in and day out.... I mean, I dont mind Patrick.

#20 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -
@david3cm

You cant stand listening to five people for a couple hour podcast. Try listening to the voices of the people you have killed, they're screams echoing inside your skull driving you mad, day in and day out.... I mean, I dont mind Patrick.

Followed.
#21 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

They are breaking him in for when Brad leaves to edit IGN in the new year, then you'll have your precious 4 man cast again.

#22 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

I'm fine with Patrick being on there, but I totally agree with the point of five voices being too many. If they want to give somebody a break and mix it up, fine, but five just reminds me of the E3 podcasts which are cool but often incredibly confusing because there's like seven or eight people all piping in at random on like three microphones. It's really hard to pay attention to what's going on.

That's the valid point. Also, whenever Vinny or Jeff is gone I'm sad.

#23 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Patrick is amazing. At his age, 25 he uncovered the Infinity Ward fiasco (when he was at g4). For being on his mid twenties this dude is terrific.

#24 Posted by buttle826 (121 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

They are breaking him in for when Brad leaves to edit IGN in the new year, then you'll have your precious 4 man cast again.

It's really gonna be rough without Brad around anymore. He will be missed

#25 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair
Is he really leaving for IGN? IGN??!! Aww man, I have mad respect for Brad, but IGN is fucking terrible! He deserves better!
#26 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -

@Liber said:

And Patrick stays !

blasphemer!!

Hope you get genital herpes!

#27 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

I like Patrik and the way he deliver news in and outside the podcast. I don't mind them being five during the podcast, it's not like they're talking at the same time anyway. 

#28 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway said:

I like Patrick on the bombcasts because he always seems struck with wonder about everything. I like to imagine that his wide-eyed earnestness is directly related to his youthful looks. It is also a good balance with Jeff, who hates everything.

I feel the same. Patrick has about 75% of Vinny's "childlike wonder" quotient. I'm actually slightly bummed out when he doesn't show up on the Bombcast at this point

#29 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

@PulledaBrad said:

Jeff does the exact same thing with wrestling. All these Patrick hate threads are getting on my nerves.

#30 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

@Liber said:

And Patrick stays !

Will Smith, stop trying to promote yourself on a thinly-veiled second account.

Nobody likes you, and you already have a podcast, you attention-whore.

#31 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Too many? I say not enough. Add Will Smith, Dave, and Drew as permanent additions. 

#32 Edited by ColinWright (741 posts) -
@david3cm: Thank you for that.  
Also, I really enjoy Patrick so I  like the bombcasts he's been on. Certainly a nice addition.
#33 Posted by buzz_clik (6921 posts) -

@VisariLoyalist said:

what are you some kind of psychic detective

Run this software to find out.

#34 Posted by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

WIIIIIIZZZZOOOOOORRRBBBB!!!!

Patrick is pretty cool bro :P

#35 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I completely disagree. Patrick has fit in well into the podcast. At first he seemed over-excited and it made him talk over others too much, but now he has mellowed out and fit right in.

#36 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Another I hate Patrick thread. Very novel. I can't wait to see what happens when you find out him AND Alex are on the Bombcast tomorrow.

Is that true? That should be a fun podcast. :)

If not, I'll just toss this joke in there: It's gonna be Patrick, Alex, Kessler, and Ryan. Let's just drive all the haters crazy. Merry Christmas!

#37 Posted by Flappy (2131 posts) -

@Rave said:

Man I think the Bombcast has only gotten better since adding Patrick. He really knows his shit as well I think he is a perfect addition

It's almost like the Kessler situation all over again.

#38 Posted by nachokicks (59 posts) -

more people more bombcast more happy

#39 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@MormonWarrior said:

I'm fine with Patrick being on there, but I totally agree with the point of five voices being too many. If they want to give somebody a break and mix it up, fine, but five just reminds me of the E3 podcasts which are cool but often incredibly confusing because there's like seven or eight people all piping in at random on like three microphones. It's really hard to pay attention to what's going on.

That's the valid point. Also, whenever Vinny or Jeff is gone I'm sad.

Yeah. Patrick's mediocrity on podcasts aside, a five person lineup is simply overkill. It's pretty much just a lot of shouting at this point with everyone stepping over each other's sentences.

But like someone else said, shit probably ain't going to change for the better, so I guess I should get used to it.

#40 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

When Brad leaves for IGN they will probably add someone else to the podcast, right? Or else there will only be 4.

#41 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I like Patrick, but I think he should not be on the bombcast when Vinny, Jeff, Ryan and Brad are already on it. It makes it so there are to many people in the room and hard to hear the voices.

#42 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

I like Patrick, he is an amazing addition and he and Vinny seem to be the only ones on the bombcast who talk about the ps3 without shitting on it each time its mentioned like Jeff, Brad and Ryan. He brings a good balance to the show.

@PulledaBrad: So is your problem that there are too many voices or that you don't like Patrick?

#43 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@SpaceRunaway said:

I like to imagine that his wide-eyed earnestness is directly related to his youthful looks. It is also a good balance with Jeff, who hates everything.

Every time I try to make a mental picture of Patrick all I see is a giant ball of hair. 

Anyway, I like him since his taste in games seems different enough to bring something unique to the show. It's nice.
#44 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

You hate Patrick, but you follow him on Twitter? What?

#45 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I will say that I wish Patrick had a deeper and less squeaky voice. The soothing sound of the Bombcast that I loved so much is now gone. :(

And I could do without the forced laughter ... he sounds like a mean, childish brat on those occasions.

#46 Edited by Dogma (943 posts) -

@Flappy said:

@Rave said:

It's almost like the Kessler situation all over again.

I thought exactly this. People thought that Kessler were a fake, not funny and yeah... a lot of stuff. I personally like Patrick. Have always done since the 1Up days. I appriciate people that knows their shit and Patrick knows a lot of stuff. I have no problem with a fifth voice. I can't sense this chaos others a talking about. Do you know when I get confused when listening to podcasts? When everyone sounds about the same. I have had really big problems knowing who is who in podcasts like Talkradar, gamers with Jobs and even Weekend Confirmed sometimes. The Bombcast and...hmm.. the old formula Joystiq podcast does not have this problem. Every voice is easy to recognize and therefore I have no problem even if they start to talk over eachother sometimes.

#47 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

I also very much like Patrick. But I have to agree, 5 people is pushing it, it's still good, not just as. at least when it's a radio show.

#48 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@buttle826 said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's really gonna be rough without Brad around anymore. He will be missed

SIGH

That fucking joke is so old and not even remotely fun anymore.

#49 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Whoa, some pretty harsh assumptions you're making there...and oddly specific as well. But yes, I share in your dislike of Patrick in media other than written words, and five people on a podcast is one too many.

#50 Posted by Scotto (1171 posts) -

I agree that five people is a bit too chaotic on the Bombcast. I disagree with all of the rest of the nonsense in the OP.

The only things I don't like about Patrick being on, are his penchant for loudly talking over people a lot, and the frequent bouts of unnecessary forced laughter. Aside from that, he's fine.

They all have their positive and negative qualities. With the exception of Vinny, who is perfect in every way.

- Scott