• 141 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I love the Bombcast. It is probably close to, if not my favorite podcast. I have had one problem with it lately though. First they had a Mass Effect 2 podcast, which was not a problem I understand completely. But then, they had two podcasts in which almost the entire video game section was devoted to Mass Effect 2. I know there are going to be a lot of comments telling me "If you don't like it, don't listen" but that isn't the point. The point is, it's a podcast about video games, not about one video game. It isn't that big of a deal but it has been a little frustrating. What do you guys think? Too much ME 2? 

michaelhaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By michaelhaar

Nope. Just right.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

It's a huge game that just came out, and there is a lot to discuss about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax:
I understand that, but the Bombcast is dedicated to games, not just one game. They didn't do this for a game like Dragon Age, which is a larger game than ME:2. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@ProlificShadow said:

" @natetodamax:I understand that, but the Bombcast is dedicated to games, not just one game. They didn't do this for a game like Dragon Age, which is a larger game than ME:2.  "

That could be because Dave was really the only one putting a lot of time into Dragon Age, whereas almost all of the staffers are interested in ME2.
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By blair

No.

These recent complaint threads are so ridiculous.

AstralDisaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AstralDisaster

i agree with the op. i don't doubt it's a good game. but there's only so much a man can take. after hearing so much about it i don't really feel like like playing it anymore. same can be said for star trek online. and that's a most played games these days. 

however, it must mean that there are no other interesting games to talk about, which might be true. i don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is that Mass Effect 2 is such a defining, world-altering video game, much in the way Bioshock was two years ago or Grand Theft Auto was before that.

Also, compounding the situation is the fact that there just isn't anything else out on the market right now

So, for the meantime, you're going to have to deal, kid. Should probably expect more Mass Effect 2 next week, once the crew's finished the game entirely. Because the conversation really hasn't even begun yet.

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lyniz

YES TOO MUCH MASS EFFECT. 

I'm sure if they did this with a PS3 exclusive, all of you would be complaining

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By felixlighter

It doesn't seem excessive.   What have been the big releases in the last few weeks?  Mass Effect 2, Star Trek Online and MAG?  All those games have been covered extensively on the Bombcast recently. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By delta_ass

No. Mass Effect 2 needs a lot of discussin'.

And there are no other interesting games to talk about.

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lyniz

and every fucking podcast out there is doing this.   it is slowly killing me inside.   

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no doubt that ME:2 is a fantastic game, and I cannot wait to play it. But one podcast about a game is enough, they have now had three and will most likely have another. 

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Hyuzen

i think they talked too much about arcade machines and star trek online. not that i'm complaining

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

too much for me sure, but that's just cause I haven't played it yet.

Shit, imagine if Brad was there.
...and on that note, imagine what next week's is gonna be like.

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lyniz

i guess i'll be skipping next weeks podcast .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hyuzen said:
" i think they talked too much about arcade machines and star trek online. not that i'm complaining "
Lol.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ignor
@Blair: No they aren't.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By get2sammyb

Good news is. Mass Effect 2 launch has gone now. Bring on other games.

Seriously though, it was a big launch so it makes sense.

From a personal perspective, if this podcast is about Star Trek and Mass Effect 2 then it's going to be tedious. But, yo, if that's what games are being talked about I guess it's either skip it or listen to it. Either way, they won't be talking about those games next week.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gabriel
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The thing is that Mass Effect 2 is such a defining, world-altering video game, much in the way Bioshock was two years ago or Grand Theft Auto was before that.

Also, compounding the situation is the fact that there just isn't anything else out on the market right now

So, for the meantime, you're going to have to deal, kid. Should probably expect more Mass Effect 2 next week, once the crew's finished the game entirely. Because the conversation really hasn't even begun yet. "
I'm going to stop you right there Mass Effect 2's fucking excellent but in probably no way as important or Genre Defining as GTA 3 or Bioshock for that matter, come on.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Lyniz said:
" i guess i'll be skipping next weeks podcast . "
I may as well.
(but probably won't :P)
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turbomonkey138
@michaelhaar said:
" Nope. Just right. "

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sir_Ragnarok:
That may be true, but 90% of their talk is about pointless things like animals in space, or stairs in a space ship. And calling me "kid" was entirely unnecessary and pretentious. 
ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ToxicFruit

no I would actually like if they made a spoiler story podcast.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli
@ProlificShadow said:
" I love the Bombcast. It is probably close to, if not my favorite podcast. I have had one problem with it lately though. First they had a Mass Effect 2 podcast, which was not a problem I understand completely. But then, they had two podcasts in which almost the entire video game section was devoted to Mass Effect 2. I know there are going to be a lot of comments telling me "If you don't like it, don't listen" but that isn't the point. The point is, it's a podcast about video games, not about one video game. It isn't that big of a deal but it has been a little frustrating. What do you guys think? Too much ME 2?  "

Go play it. You will understand the devotion.

btw. I'm calling it... Mass Effect is the Star Wars Phenomenon for videogames. Biggest franchise ever!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gabriel said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The thing is that Mass Effect 2 is such a defining, world-altering video game, much in the way Bioshock was two years ago or Grand Theft Auto was before that.

So, for the meantime, you're going to have to deal, kid. Should probably expect more Mass Effect 2 next week, once the crew's finished the game entirely. Because the conversation really hasn't even begun yet. "
I'm going to stop you right there Mass Effect 2's fucking excellent but in probably no way as important or Genre Defining as GTA 3 or Bioshock for that matter, come on. "
GTA showed that open-world games can work. Bioshock showed us the benefit of philosophy and atmosphere and art direction. 

Mass Effect's narrative is probably the most mature video game narrative yet seen. I don't mean mature in terms of gore or "edgyness". It's just a beautifully written, honest story. If any game can showcase the strength of video game narratology, it is Mass Effect 2.
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By felixlighter
@ProlificShadow: I guess my question is, what games are they neglecting that you feel they should be talking about?
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ignor
@Sir_Ragnarok: 
What about Half-Life 2?
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By delta_ass
@ProlificShadow said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok:That may be true, but 90% of their talk is about pointless things like animals in space, or stairs in a space ship. "

Uh... you want a Bombcast where they don't talk about pointless things? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProlificShadow said:
And calling me "kid" was entirely unnecessary and pretentious.
And being so defensive about it isn't? 

'Sup Pot. This here's Kettle.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By trophyhunter
@michaelhaar said:
" Nope. Just right. "
Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lyniz

nothing is being neglected.  it's the combination of this with all of the other podcasts.   and they already did an exclusive mass effect podcast already.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gabriel
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @Gabriel said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:

I'm going to stop you right there Mass Effect 2's fucking excellent but in probably no way as important or Genre Defining as GTA 3 or Bioshock for that matter, come on. "
GTA showed that open-world games can work. Bioshock showed us the benefit of philosophy and atmosphere and art direction.   Mass Effect's narrative is probably the most mature video game narrative yet seen. I don't mean mature in terms of gore or "edgyness". It's just a beautifully written, honest story. If any game can showcase the strength of video game narratology, it is Mass Effect 2. "
Granted it's a good narrative game, the stories excellent, but I think it's a little too early to compare it to greats like Bioshock or GTA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ignor said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok:  What about Half-Life 2? "
Half-Life 2 is definitely the progenitor. Mass Effect 2 has furthered the cycle.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

They didn't discuss Uncharted 2 or Assassin's Creed II as much as they did Mass Effect 2, which perplexes me since both games had just as much hype as ME2. I wanted them to discuss the two former games in depth outside of the GotY podcast, but that never came to fruition. In fact, Brad kept asking week after week when they were finally going to talk about Uncharted 2 and the entire thing got dismissed after Jeff said it was a pretty good game. Personally, I hate all this Mass Effect 2 talk because they take up a lot of time but have to make it lack substance for those sensitive to spoilers. To me, listening the ME2 section of this week's Bombcast wasn't informative or entertaining. It was just a waste.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FelixLighter:
It isn't a neglect of other games, it is a favoritism of one game. Even if Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game of all time, I wouldn't want to hear three bombcasts about it. 
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes there was waaaaay too much in this most recent one. By skipping it, there was only like 20 minutes of content left, and it was all phoned in and half-assed by that time.

and ROFL @ Bioshock being compared to GTA as genre defining. Having not played ME2, I can't say whether that part is true, but Bioshock was a joke.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By august
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @michaelhaar said:
" Nope. Just right. "
"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sleepy_Insomniac:
Exactly. I completely agree. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProlificShadow said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok:Defending myself is not pretentious when someone calls me a demeaning name for no apparent reason. Stop trying to cause a fight while I'm trying to have a discussion.  "
See, here's the thing, you're taking it as a demeaning name. I think it's pretty clear from the tone of the rest of that post that there was nothing there posited as an affront to your person.  Chill.
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blair

@ProlificShadow: The point of the podcast is to talk about what's topical and important to the hosts.

They've been playing Mass Effect 2 for the past week and that happens to be what's relevant.

Think about how long they spent discussing Fallout 3.  In a year from now if they're still discussing ME2 then you can resume discussion.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrKlorox
@Blair said:
" Think about how long they spent discussing Fallout 3. "
God that was awful. I refused to listen to the Bombcast for months on end because of that.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By get2sammyb
@Sleepy_Insomniac: I know people will just say "fanboy", but you're right about Uncharted 2.

I was looking forward to some MAG on this podcast. I'm presuming no mention?
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By felixlighter

I guess I don't understand.  They are just talking about the game they are all currently playing.  Favoritism seems like a strange word for the situation.   I'm sure if your not interested in the game or you've heard enough, you wouldn't want to listen to more but if you don't feel they are neglecting other games, why not just fast forward through the Mass Effect talk?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blair:
I understand your point, but at the same time, the podcast is made for their website viewers, not for themselves. While they should talk about what they want to talk about, I think they also have a responsibility to their listeners to inform them of many things, not just ME:2. If this was something they did for every game, I would understand by now, but aside from the GOTY Podcast, they talked about AC:2 and Uncharted 2 combined less than they have ME:2. Imagine if every story they ran on the site was about ME:2, it would start to get old. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FelixLighter:
If you fast forward through the Mass Effect talk, there is practically nothing left. 
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By jonnyboy

Fine by me, I haven't played ME 1 or 2 and have no real interest in doing so, but I don't mind them chatting about it, It's a slow news week after all so I rather them chat about stuff they like than just nonsense to fill time.

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By felixlighter
@Sleepy_Insomniac: I felt that they talked a lot about Assassin's Creed 2 but the difference between those 2 games and Mass Effect 2 is the timing of their releases.  Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 were both surrounded by other huge games.  They had several huge games to talk about all at the same time, so none of those games got the attention that Mass Effect 2 is currently getting because there is really not much else to talk about.  

Like you mentioned, they went into some pretty deep talk about those games, Uncharted 2 especially, during the game of the year podcasts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProlificShadow said:
 Imagine if every story they ran on the site was about ME:2, it would start to get old.
But . . . every story isn't about Mass Effect. So there's no worry. 

I don't feel like there ought to be a "thesis" for the Bombcast. It is put out for the users, yes, but the reason it is put out in the first place is because users want to hear more conversational, more honest opinions from the staff on the topics they (the staff) feel are paramount. If you want to try and plug a specific topic, that's what the email segment is for. You know what I'm saying? If you want "information" then read the news feed. They're separate entities for a reason. The Bombcast is less academic, more like we're sitting in on a conversation with the guys. A conversation they lead in its entirety.

Mass Effect is a goddamn black hole time sink from Hell. And when I say "from Hell," that is to say it can, and likely will, consume one's lifeforce through their very eyeballs. That's why it got all the attention it did. I understand how people might tire of the topic, but there's really nothing like it on the market.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sir_Ragnarok:

The problem is over-saturation. The Bombcast, 4 Guys 1 Up, and the Gamespy Debriefings (just to name a few) have been dedicated to ME:2 for multiple weeks.