Too much talk about death?

• 67 results
development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you guys think? I think the current setup with Brad as host is fantastic. I think Jeff is better as the witty and knowledgeable dude. I enjoy Brad's love of poop emails. I don't, however, come to the Bombcast to be bummed the fuck out; I wanna laugh. A mention of a recent passing is fine, but to literally go into our own doomed fate and eventual descent into oblivion is too much for me.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If it's relevant gaming news, I think it should be included.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

What do you guys think? I think the current setup with Brad as host is fantastic. I think Jeff is better as the witty and knowledgeable dude. I enjoy Brad's love of poop emails. I don't, however, come to the Bombcast to be bummed the fuck out; I wanna laugh. A mention of a recent passing is fine, but to literally go into our own doomed fate and eventual descent into oblivion is too much for me.

I spend way too much time thinking about how eventually everyone is gonna die. It's actually comforting and reassuring to me that humanity as a whole is so small and insignificant in the scope of the universe; that a single solar flare in the right direction or a cloud of gas or a floating rock could at any time just sweep the entirety of us off the board once and for all. It's comforting because then I can remember that all the arguments that people have, all the crap people do to each other that makes me shake my head, all the violence and warfare... it doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things.*

*Note: This is all invalidated if we survive long enough to become a rad cyberpunk society. I will download my brain into a computer and take a robot body in a heartbeat.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I agree with what you're saying, but like @therealnelsk said it was a relevant topic...just maybe not to the extent it was taken.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you come to terms with your own mortality, you will be able to lead a fuller life.

I know I'm going to die. I think about it often, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

I agree with what you're saying, but like @therealnelsk said it was a relevant topic...just maybe not to the extent it was taken.

Yeah I agree as well. I just want Brad to be a little less of a bummer. Unlike @make_me_mad, I've reached a point where those thoughts have been perfectly attuned into the most horrible fear imaginable at my current age, more horrible than the previously-horrible fear it used to be that I thought couldn't get worse. I doubt I'm alone, too. The solution is of course "dude, don't think about it, then." Well, yeah, I was trying! Until Brad mentioned it.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@sammo21 said:

Yeah I agree as well. I just want Brad to be a little less of a bummer. Unlike @make_me_mad, I've reached a point where those thoughts have been perfectly attuned into the most horrible fear imaginable at my current age, more horrible than the previously-horrible fear it used to be that I thought couldn't get worse. I doubt I'm alone, too. The solution is of course "dude, don't think about it, then." Well, yeah, I was trying! Until Brad mentioned it.

To clarify, I'm still totally terrified of dying on a personal level, but knowing that all of humanity is gonna die off anyways takes some of the sting out. Like, if I happen to die and someone finds some embarrassing page open on a web browser or my hidden, dark history of writing romance fanfiction comes to light post-mortem, I don't have to worry about my tarnished reputation because something will inevitably scourge the planet clean.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@make_me_mad: Well my (eventual) career is centered on making sure that doesn't happen, so I'm sorry but you'll have to change your name and get a new face when that news breaks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@development: Well eventually (in a billion years) the sun will explode and there's not anything we can do about it.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Nah. If we throw enough ice cubes at it it'll be fine. I don't know about you, but I'd rather live a billion years than 60-90.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@corruptedevil: yeah, nothing lasts forever. Something will kill you at some point. I'm not even certain the human brain and psyche could actually handle living "forever", at least not how we think of it.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baillie

We're all gonna die!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By pr1mus
development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@core1065: Is that what life's about? Damn, man. People will wanna hear this. You should write a book.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could someone clarify what conversation this was? I listened to the bombcast, but all I remember was a light-hearted conversation about Mars...

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysterysheep: Don't have a timestamp, but it was probably at the very end of the "news" segment. Brad goes, "and... (takes on a somber tone) the creator of Lode Runner passed away." Then he says something about oblivion or infinite nothingness or something to that effect. Maybe I should stop listening to the Bombcast at night when I'm most depressed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By csl316

Death is a thing that people talk about. Especially when, you know, someone dies.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd take death talk over food talk any day of the week.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno, I feel like if anyone, it's Jeff that alludes to death (namely his own) constantly. I have frequent anxiety attacks late at night when I start thinking about death and can't shake it. That said, the talk about it on the Bombcast has never bothered me because it's the Bombcast. Whatever they're saying is usually too funny, even if it's an incredibly dark wit at the time, for me to worry about much of anything.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By mrfluke

i believe they strayed to this topic because of the lode runner guy's death?

i see what your saying, but its not going to be a frequent topic, and Brad always strays to having a more intellectual talk about X subject , they are not going to have "DEATH TALK OF THE WEEK" or anything,

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Oh yeah... Wasn't he just commenting on how old the industry's gotten and that older developers are starting to pass away more frequently, though? I mean, sure, slightly morbid but it's an interesting thing to bring up. Video games have been around for a while now and it's an easy thing to forget.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I didn't think that talk was that bad? I'm not sure what's to be bummed out about. They only mentioned it because someone who was significant died and some people may not have heard.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Not sure it's nearly as bad as you're giving it credit for.

johnsublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By johnsublime

At least dan isn't advertising for fucking taco bell for an hour again.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't finished the podcast, but are you just referring to the passing of Douglas E. Smith? That didn't seem bad to me? He mentioned that someone in the gaming industry died and that this will not be the last time this happens.

I mean shit. I have SO MUCH anxiety about death. Thinking about it leads to bad feelings (understatement). But I know the answer isn't to just hide from all mention of death so that I won't get the bad feelings. The answer is that I need to accept the fact that death is a part of life so that I can get on with living. It's not going to go away. And you can't hide from it. So why try?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wouldn't worry about it, there is a non-zero chance you don't even exist and sentience is an illusion anyway.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

You can't dodge the reaper.

Man up and get over it so you can live a happier life not crippled and compromised by irrational fear.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering I've almost died two times in my life, it just doesn't bother me anymore.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im dead right now atm tbh

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Sometimes I think maybe we're the dead ones, man

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By development
@demoskinos said:

I didn't think that talk was that bad?

@big_jon said:

@mysterysheep said:

@development: Oh yeah... Wasn't he just commenting on how old the industry's gotten and that older developers are starting to pass away more frequently, though?

Maybe you guys think I'm making a bigger deal than I am. It was a bummer. Admit it. That's all. I'm not over here downing Xanax. Just ruins the mood of the podcast.

More to the point, though: this isn't the first time Brad's taken things down such a morbid track, whether on the podcast or UPF. I just think he sometimes makes things more somber than he should, especially for a site that's supposed to be about games and fun stuff or whatever.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development said:

Maybe you guys think I'm making a bigger deal than I am. It was a bummer. Admit it. That's all. I'm not over here downing Xanax. Just ruins the mood of the podcast.

If you're saying things like it ruins the mood, then yeah, you're making it more of a deal than is necessary. It was gaming related news, got a mention, then the show went on as per usual. WHOOPTY DOOOOO.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Slag

Brad does a great job, but he isn't going to kill it every time.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By splodge
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: did you eat some funky fungus and expect a wonderful silly bombcast and end up in a bad place?

I have found that I am happy to listen to anything that they choose to talk about

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By musubi

@demoskinos said:

@big_jon said:

@mysterysheep said:

@development: Oh yeah... Wasn't he just commenting on how old the industry's gotten and that older developers are starting to pass away more frequently, though?

More to the point, though: this isn't the first time Brad's taken things down such a morbid track, whether on the podcast or UPF. I just think he sometimes makes things more somber than he should, especially for a site that's supposed to be about games and fun stuff or whatever.

Its supposed to be about video games and it is. It was news that mattered and Brad discussed it and sometimes they deep dive into the news article brought up or topics surrounding it. If brad was regularly doing this then sure you'd have a point but he doesn't and most of the time it is poop jokes and Dan making everyone cringe with his insane stories.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Bout to be dead brb

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading a bunch a existential philosophy helped me get over death.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@big_jon said:

@mysterysheep said:

I dunno, dude. I'm not mocking you or anything for thinking it was morbid, just saying it didn't strike me as being especially upsetting or anything. At least, not to the point where I'd say it was too much.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I didn't catch them talking about it- so it must not have been very much.

It doesn't bother me what they talk about, though. They have similar interests and things they like to talk about that I do. Sometimes death happens. Ignoring it is to ignore reality. You don't need to be bummed out by discussion of death, it is the natural end to all of our lives.

You don't want to live forever. Apparently that would be awful for your brain, or so I've heard somewhere.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are the walking dead

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By doctordonkey

Death is pretty alright once you don't have much to live for. Don't get married, don't have children, don't have some crazy ambitions, and outlive your parents. Boom! Your death literally means nothing to anyone! Once you got that down you are truly a free man capable of looking the reaper right in his stupid hood cloaked endless void-looking face and laughing at him!

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was off-put at first by the host change, but only because it was different--and it's really not. I think Brad is just a serviceable a host as Jeff and we get to have fun while he cuts his teeth in the chair. Jeff is a great reactionary, he can do a lot more great work when he can react directly to a story--not announce it, let it go around the table, and come back.

Brad is a natural and Jeff is on fire again. Re-juvenated a lot of my interest in the sites content.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

yeah he can occasionally give a really stiff performance.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

yeah he can occasionally give a really stiff performance.

I disagree, most of the time he is dead on.