Unprofessional journalism on GB

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
BoG said:
"GB isn't the gaming news source you are looking for."

That only works if you
jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By jakeroc

Have you ever.... listened to a podcast? I've listened to people talk about Yoda breast milk for fifteen minutes.

I don't take podcasts as journalism, but as lulz in audio form.

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By JamesM
xxNBxx said:

Then Capcom did something that no one did before,  they took two fighting games series that they made and combined them.  Being the first to do this is a big difference.  Your originating not copying.

Being the first to try a marketing initiative doesn't make it any less of a marketing initiative. Not that I want to criticize the X-Men vs. Street Fighter / Marvel vs. Capcom / whatever series. Those games were pretty cool. But it's naïve to think there was no marketing component to the decision. If nothing else, the two corporations involved would each have to think there was something in it for them in order to allow so many character into or out of their intellectual property. Besides, the idea of a crossover, whilst possibly new to fighters, was by no means unheard of in general. It takes a certain imaginative leap to apply it to that particular genre, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and I don't really think you can accuse the cross-over games that followed of "copying" in any significant way. You might as well accuse the games of copying each other for having similar controls or something.

The difference with Soulcalibur 2, as I understand it, is that the Star Wars characters seem much more tacked-on. It's not something the whole game was built around; they're just in there, and it almost seems like they may have been added quite late in the game's development, perhaps as an act of desperation. I personally doubt it was quite like that, considering the series' history of crossovers, and am not personally too bothered about it (I don't yet have the game, but I may eventually buy it), but I can see where the concerns come from. It seems a little cheap. At least with MK vs. DC half the characters are guests, so you can't exactly accuse the developers about being half-arsed about it. They're definitely going for it, and embracing the concept fully. The difference isn't so big for me, but I'm not really into fighters anyway.

Anyway, I like the podcast how it is. There are others I can listen to for drier news coverage, and I'm sure people who actually play WoW know exactly what's true and what isn't, anyway. Not that I'd want to excuse seriously misleading stuff, but it doesn't sound like this was a particularly major thing.
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By niall077

Unprofessional??? i like to call it "Fun".

but if its too Unprofessional for you I hear the hotspot is really hitting a new high level of bland you might be into

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By KillaMaStA

About MK vs DC. MK openly says that this game is about 2 different worlds but in Soulcalibur its just a stupid and desperate marketing gimmick.

roscone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By roscone
Demilich said:
"I think you have the idea of a Podcast all wrong. It's not an article. It's 4 guys talking."
Exactly.  This is actually exactly what a podcast should be.  Some information, some random talk, lots of fun.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
SG_Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SG_Mahonay

Hmm, not sure why we should care that it bothers you.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Its their site they are free to have fun.

JoshA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By JoshA

First of all, it's video games dude, you gotta have fun and not take it TOO seriously. The day that people would rather have a super serious news show about video games like you would have on the evening news over GBs style is a sad say for the gaming buisness.  

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61  Edited By Vaxadrin

I love how this thread gets bumped once a week as people are checking the Bombcast forum while getting antsy waiting for it.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By harrisonave

I'm not sure how that's unprofessional...

These guys are more than just video game journalists so ... I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its just 4 guys who talk about video games and say something funny every 10 minutes or so. who cares

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By StaticFalconar

This ain't no podcast, its a bombcast. Plus the word podcast doesn't have its roots in journalism, but rather the digital distribution. Podcast as I understand it is essentially an audio blog. Blogs, never has to have any specific structure, making it more free flowing, than typical journalism rules for writing.

Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

Uh, I suppose they can sound a little uninformed at times, but generally they seem to know what's going on. There have been some moments where I've wanted them to stop talking, but none of those moments were presented in the main post.

and for the record Jeff is right about WoW, Blizzard has pretty much decimated the older content. Vertical expansions blow.

Seanakin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By Seanakin66

Dude, there are myriad gaming-related podcasts out there which are produced in the scripted and pedantic NPR-style you so ardently prefer.  You're free to walk away from this place in favor of allowing any one of the others to bore you out of your skull.

Personally, after the shit happened at Gamespot late last year, I feared that there would never again be a source of gaming news that wasn't just another corporate Triumph of the Shill.  Catching up on the Bombcast reminds me of how much I enjoyed these guys back in the proverbial day.  Also, the idea that these guys are once again free to inject their own personal impressions of games and publishers and developers and whatnot is refreshing enough to put up with such things as Ryan's occasional bitching about Star Wars games.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By xxNBxx
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#68  Edited By OGCartman

-30, dam man u lose

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By elbow

Jeff is soo tanked! Starts talking about his old Chevy Nova, or TV stations, simply fucking hilarious.

The best moment of this bombcast was Ryan screaming "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?!?!?!".

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

wow i think that there is the most negatives on one post i have ever seen TC :P 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

elbow said:
"

Jeff is soo tanked! Starts talking about his old Chevy Nova, or TV stations, simply fucking hilarious.

The best moment of this bombcast was Ryan screaming "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?!?!?!".

"
I cannot, with any collection of words, express my love for the Bombcast.
sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By sionweeks

A Podcast doesn't have to be a raw news program, it's all about creating discussions on some news, while not taking it seriously. This isn't the BBC, ABC or NBC, this is a Podcast where the listeners have a FUN time while they participate in listening, and/or send in emails.

I think that the GB staff have got it totally right. You don't see Diggnation being all serious and conformist about everything they talk about, and their Podcast is solely based on the purpose of giving you news from a source. They have fun while they drink beer, which is the reason I got into listening to Podcasts in the first place. 

I have a great time listening to anything the guys at GB talk about, whether it's some official breaking news story, or whether it's Jeff talking about some incident, or his love for Burritos.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Patchinko
Demilich said:
"I think you have the idea of a Podcast all wrong. It's not an article. It's 4 guys talking."
Thread was over right here.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By Hamz

This topic while controversial should never have had the OP get a -30 rating. I love the GiantBomb as much as everyone else but people do have a right to express their opinions over how they feel about the content, providing they do it in a constructive manner. That being said i think this topic has run its course and its time to be locked.

In future i hope everyone will realise that the community rating tool is NOT to be abused and should never be used as a way to hide posts or topics you disagree with.