This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Yodasdarkside (343 posts) -

This seems super-weird to me, and I'm hoping and assuming I'm not alone in this. Towards the end of last year, the Bombcast took a definite upswing, with incredibly philosophical and in-depth discussions on the state of games, and the GOTY stuff in 2012 was the best since the Minerva's Den/Shadow Broker and Skyrim/SR3 stuff. The humor was also spot-on for weeks in a row, with such highlights as Dave's white car etc.

But in the last few weeks, the quality of conversation has dropped significantly, leading to aimless shows which drift for the first hour or so, drunkenly veering from topic to topic. Even the tangential comedy is forced and strained. They pull it together for the games part, usually, but this week, Ryan flat out called it the worst podcast ever, and apologised. Unfortunately, he echoed exactly what I was thinking at the time.

Are the guys in danger of falling too much in love with their own style, and just assuming each podcast will be quality just because it's them? For the first time in years, I'm feeling like the show could do with a bit of reigning in and possibly be (heresy alert) shorter then the usual 3 hours, give or take.

What are the community's thoughts on the Bombcast? I look forward to it every week, but this was the first week where I had the thought of 'Why am I listening to this?'

#2 Posted by jdh5153 (1097 posts) -

The show is fine. If you don't like listen to it, stop listening. No reason to whine about it.

#3 Edited by Bocam (3973 posts) -

I don't like it when Video Game podcasts talk about Video Games. It's boring.

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14791 posts) -
  1. The show was less than three hours this week.
  2. For the love of god, enough of these.
#5 Posted by DrFlapjack (267 posts) -

There's a similar discussion in this thread. I still enjoy it an am usually doing other things with the podcast in the background so slow parts aren't as noticeable.

#6 Edited by mikey87144 (1983 posts) -

There isn't much to talk about with video games. Nothing is coming out.

#7 Posted by BigJeffrey (4950 posts) -

This is just no games to talk about

#8 Posted by SavePoint (103 posts) -

The Bombcast is great and I love their off topic banter. Go listen to a different podcast if you want to only listen about video games... the first hour of the Bombcast has always been off topic and it gives it much more personality because of it.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (10467 posts) -

Yeah I mean I like the talk-about-nothing element as much as anyone else... But what was it, an hour before they started talking about this week's new release? I can't even remember whatever it was they were discussing and I heard it less than 2 hours ago. I remembered it started real funny and then after about 10 minutes it was like white noise until a short bit about Tomb Raider and Cryostasis.

As much as I like talking about Brad's allergies and Vinny moving house and everyone's feelings about cable Internet... Like why not have that be a 12 minute section and give an hour to news of the world? I don't mind an esports conversation or speculation on Black Box, that's games related.

It's weird though because I felt like at the start of the year they had really got back into the swing of good Bombcasts. Last few weeks, who's been doing the booking?

#10 Edited by Vinny_Says (5907 posts) -

uhh...did you start listening since the bombcast's inception in 2007? Because you're only allowed to make these threads if you've been listening since 2007.

#11 Edited by SeanFoster (898 posts) -

They record 52 of these things a year. There's gonna be some lulls.

#12 Edited by CaLe (4202 posts) -

I'm usually doing other things while listening and when it's not engaging me I'll just let my attention go to the other thing I'm doing, then re-focus on the podcast when something sounds interesting again. It works well for me.

#13 Posted by Barrock (3752 posts) -

This week's was pretty weak. But there's also not been a lot of game news/releases.

#14 Edited by Kidavenger (3854 posts) -

I think Ryan is a good general host for the podcast but I get the impression that he hardly plays any videogames and hasn't in a long time; over time this has lead the podcast to being less and less about games; I still think it's a good podcast and one of my favorites but I can see how people coming to it expecting games would be disappointed. Luckily for those people there are many great videogame centric podcasts out there.

#15 Posted by JYoung (171 posts) -

This bombcast had some hilarious parts, I thought it was great how out of control it got. But to each his own, I don't think they need to attempt to change it in any way.

#16 Posted by Winternet (8236 posts) -

I don't think this issue warrants a 2nd thread in as many days.

#17 Edited by NickL (2260 posts) -

Ryan flat out called it the worst podcast ever, and apologised.

There's your problem. If you don't understand how sarcasm works in the slightest, you are going to have a bad time.

#18 Posted by Yodasdarkside (343 posts) -

I did wonder if the quality of show can be directly related to the quality/volume of recent game releases. Don't get me wrong, there have been more times than I can remember where I have almost crashed the car or freaked people out in supermarkets because I'm laughing so hard at the show, and I still think these guys are the best there is, but I think the gentleman a few posts up has it right; the last few weeks, there have been spots where it's just white noise and I have to rewind it because it has failed to hold my attention, which I have not experienced before.

#19 Posted by ShaggE (7066 posts) -

Are Bombcasts art?

#20 Edited by Trilogy (2702 posts) -

uhh...did you start listening since the bombcast's inception in 2007? Because you're only allowed to make these threads if you've been listening since 2007.

Trick question! It started in 2008.

They record 52 of these things a year. There's gonna be some lulls.

But what about some LULS?

I'll see myself out.

#21 Posted by Tortoise (233 posts) -

Yeah I mean I like the talk-about-nothing element as much as anyone else... But what was it, an hour before they started talking about this week's new release? I can't even remember whatever it was they were discussing and I heard it less than 2 hours ago. I remembered it started real funny and then after about 10 minutes it was like white noise until a short bit about Tomb Raider and Cryostasis.

As much as I like talking about Brad's allergies and Vinny moving house and everyone's feelings about cable Internet... Like why not have that be a 12 minute section and give an hour to news of the world? I don't mind an esports conversation or speculation on Black Box, that's games related.

It's weird though because I felt like at the start of the year they had really got back into the swing of good Bombcasts. Last few weeks, who's been doing the booking?

totally agree

#22 Edited by tourgen (4568 posts) -

disagree. this week's show was excellent.

#23 Posted by Master_Funk (747 posts) -

I love their off topic conversation as much as anybody else out there Though I'm not sure that it helps gain new listeners on a consistent basis. But the personalities and 'i dont give a fuck' attitude is what makes the bomb cast the bomb cast.

#24 Edited by Slag (5432 posts) -
#25 Edited by Vinny_Says (5907 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@vinny_says said:

Trick question! It started in 2008.

10 points for you! Good Job!

#26 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5147 posts) -

I'm not gonna say anything about the quality of the Bombcast, but I'll point out that Brad fell asleep at the end. Take that as you will.

#27 Edited by Yodasdarkside (343 posts) -
@nickl said:

@yodasdarkside said:

Ryan flat out called it the worst podcast ever, and apologised.

There's your problem. If you don't understand how sarcasm works in the slightest, you are going to have a bad time.

Each interpretation will be different, I guess; to me, Ryan seemed painfully aware of just how rambling the show was becoming and this was his attempt to get back on track. I think he is generally a great host and, as others have said, some of the best parts of any of the shows usually come from the off-topic discussions, but recently there just seems to be a degree of arrogance around it - 'whatever we say is funny', if you like.

#28 Edited by TheHBK (5658 posts) -

Man everyone is a critic. Seems to me like people forget where this podcast came from. Remember when they had the energy drink taste tests at the beginning of every podcast? Or the Nintendo Download segment which should have never gone away? Seriously, these guys are talking, shit comes up. Crappy games are out. They have a 2 hours show dedicated to talking about Bishock Infinite, one fucking game! I am loving these, they make me laugh, and shit is gonna get serious once E3 rolls around, more details on the consoles will be out, they will have discussion on the spec differences which we know Brad will be all over, pricing, launch games, online strategy, it will be full of what you want. But I still want to hear about Patrick's hair, Jeff and the shit that happens to him when he tries to get food at 3AM, and Vinny's adventures in fatherhood. So chill the fuck out.

#29 Posted by jacksmedulla (294 posts) -

@bocam said:

I don't like it when Video Game podcasts talk about Video Games. It's boring.

@tourgen said:

disagree. this week's show was excellent.

#30 Edited by minorinya (182 posts) -

I don't know, I still enjoy listening to them. I've been listening to backlog simultaneously, and it's hilariously interesting to hear predictions and/or comments about the future that link up to current podcast remarks.

Maybe they should try throwing different categories around? It's always the same what-have-you-been-playing, news-of-the-world, emails, etc... maybe they need to just temporarily throw a different topic in there (I don't know what) to keep themselves interested.

#31 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

Yeah, lets go back to the good ol' days when they did that "philosophical" talk at the beginning of each podcast while they fucking taste tested energy drinks.

HOLY FUCK GTFO with this nonsense.

#32 Edited by Chop (2010 posts) -

I strongly prefer the off topic stuff and thought this weeks podcast was great. Fuck video games!

#33 Edited by mrfluke (5653 posts) -

i think it definitely doesnt have the "enthusiasm" as it did back in 07-09, but its still good though,

brad has become imo a prick lately, while patrick is coming into his own and finding his style.

like just go back to the first GOTY debate where they were RAVING about MGS4 and then compare that to the whining and negativity when they were talking about MGS5 and metal gear in general, its crazy,

#34 Posted by jozzy (2053 posts) -

I still look forward to my bombcast every Tuesday, but this one didn't hold my interest at all. I hope they find their groove again, because in general the last few weeks (months?) were not great. I even unsubbed for a bit to see where they are going with Giant bomb.

#35 Posted by JasonR86 (9998 posts) -

lol.

#36 Posted by cloudymusic (1377 posts) -

"Serious philosophical discussion of the state of games" is the rot.

#37 Edited by Milkman (17803 posts) -

I haven't listened to this week's show but nonetheless, these threads are getting real old.

#38 Posted by SlashDance (1856 posts) -

Coca. Fucking. Cola. MAYBE YOU HEARD OF IT !

I think they still have it.

#39 Edited by FLStyle (5385 posts) -

I very much enjoyed the Injustice/Fighting games/eSports discussion, the rest was good too.

I don't see what the problem is.

#40 Posted by wefwefasdf (6730 posts) -

I honestly don't understand where these complaints are coming from in the last week. The first hour of last weeks podcast was incredibly funny.

#41 Posted by gaminghooligan (1660 posts) -

This is all going to end with Jeff buying a churro machine, I just know it...

#42 Posted by LTSmash (694 posts) -

I got my fill of philosophical video game talk years ago.

The Bombcast is a perfect thing. You are broken.

#43 Posted by Optix12 (637 posts) -

This bombcast was fine, I personally keep up with new releases and quick looks so odds are I tend to know roughly what they may talk about gameswise, so the off-topic sections are mostly what I come for. Their situations that they come up with can be pretty funny and insight into the gaming industry you dont get at the forefront or unless youre really into it will remember (like airblade, i loved that game, completely forgot/made no attempt to link it was criterion who did that).

With a few indie/smaller games or rereleases and a fighting game (which has a limited audience anyway) the bombcast was not going to be chock full of gaming glory (and a partially slow news week) and I expect that unless theres credible microsoft leaks in the coming weeks, it will be more of the same so I guess if you didnt really like this one quit listening to the bombcast til e3?

#44 Posted by Levius (1295 posts) -

I am exactly 1 hour 27 minutes into the podcast (I listen over a week), and I think its one of the best in a while so far. Maybe they are less enthusiastic about games, but I am too. Hell most of the time you can pretty much work out what a game is going to be like in broad strokes months before release, and you can only be exited about the same games so many times. When a real suprise comes along like Saints Row the Third you quickly see the enthusiasm bubbling back.

#45 Posted by Kohe321 (3567 posts) -

I am starting to get pretty sick of threads about something being wrong with either the podcast or video content. "The guys seem tired" "the guys seem un-inspired" and so on and so forth. Am I the only one not seeing this? I've been listening to the bombcast since the beginning, and I think it's quality has remained steady on a high level all this time. I am also listening to old episodes inbetween, and I feel these new ones feel just as good...

Same goes for video content, I can't say I notice and difference in "joy" from them. Apart, of course, from the games they play might be quite dull - this generation is closing up now, just wait until the next one kicks in and new, big games start coming out.

#46 Edited by BisonHero (8200 posts) -

@yodasdarkside said:

...leading to aimless shows which drift for the first hour or so, drunkenly veering from topic to topic.

When has it ever not been this?

#47 Edited by Zaccheus (1823 posts) -

@yodasdarkside: I don't think the podcast has changed much, maybe you have?

#48 Posted by AngriGhandi (822 posts) -

I think they need to come up with Nielsens for podcasts or something. Because while I agree that this week's felt super long and aimless, and I caught myself thinking as much several times throughout, anecdotal evidence is almost always going to end up a perfect 50/50 split between "nuh-uh" and yuh-huh." Which makes it pretty much useless.

Maybe they should just stop aiming for more than two hours. Let it come naturally, if there's a lot to talk about-- but when you get to the point where you're prodding people to return to the same subject multiple times, just to fill as much air as possible before finally getting to the scant few games anyone feels like talking about, well, then maybe that's just a sign that the podcast doesn't need to be two hours long this week.

That, or just throw out the whole damn episode and try to re-record it. That happened one time, and it resulted in one of the best bombcasts ever.

#49 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1190 posts) -

Secret sauce of any good podcast: unrelated stories. Best stuff is in there. It all falls apart when they start seriously talking about video games when all you care about is why did Ryan store his mattress in the garage.

#50 Edited by 49th (3008 posts) -

I definately think the last few conversations have been a bit too weird, like showering in oatmeal and all the poop talk, but the unrelated talk is usually why the podcast is so enjoyable.

I think the real problem is they don't answer enough emails.