Edited 6 months, 25 days ago

Poll: When Jeff's booming voice says "Hey there small business owner" I think... (673 votes)

...Jeff is addressing a person of normal height who runs a small venture 52%
...Jeff is addressing a business owner who is vertically challenged 27%
...you should get off the Internet and just show me the results 22%

Earlier today I was listening to the latest bombcast with the ads (screw that premium crap, Vinny and Jeff riffin' off each other is great), and I suddenly had the vision in my mind that Jeff is actually talking down to, like, a miniature Vinny and I can't really get the vision out of my head anymore. Admittedly, this time around he said "Vinny, as a small businessman..." Does anyone visualize it like this or is it just me?

#1 Edited by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

Only if Vinny's voice was pitched up for effect, would that make any sense.

Wait, that a great idea!

#2 Edited by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

Person of normal height is who he is talking about, I guess he is assuming large business owners don't need to (or don't have time to) use luminosity?

#3 Edited by 49th (2763 posts) -

I always imagine them wearing silly hats. You know like a brightly coloured one with a flower and one of them has a top hat with a flap on top and a thing on a spring comes out. Am I alone in this?

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4825 posts) -

Whenever Jeff does that shtick I can't help but think of Margo the Trader from Fable 2.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

...he's been snorting a mountain of coke.

#6 Posted by spraynardtatum (3016 posts) -

Little tiny business owners make me laugh.

#7 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2810 posts) -

I always wonder what he will be pitching next...

Hey there small un-wanted hair owner...when you lather up with a real bristle shaving brush, shaving becomes pleasurable, even meditative. Shaving brushes whip up extravagantly rich, moisturizing lather from any shaving cream or soap. So why not try a Badger Shaving Brushes made by the fine folks at Bass Brushes? The people at Bass make a stiff bristles brush that will make a lifetime convert of any shaver. Their deluxe badger shaving brush is densely packed with especially soft, fine badger hairs. So when you think "Hella soon, I need a new shaving brush" think of a Bass Brush and their fine line of Badger Shaving Brushes!

Hey there listener...is your head ever cold? Well, the fine folks at headcovers.com have the solution for you. You see the fine folks there have hundred of head covering options from cozy wool to the most fashionable and soft silks. They have hats, turbans, nigh caps, and even hats that come with hair if you don't have your own hair. And, headcovers.com has the largest selection of square head scarfs, hijabs, and keffiyehs for all occasions. In this work-a-day world doesn't you head deserve the very best? Go to headcovers.com and treat your head right!

Hey there pie lovers...I have a story to tell you. It all started with dessert - The legacy of Marie Callender began in the early 1940s in Orange County, California, when Marie, an accomplished baker, first launched her legendary pie business, delivering freshly baked pies to area restaurants. [sings jingle] "One little thing can revive a guy, and that is a piece of Marie's pie / She serve it up, nice and hot / Maybe things aren't as bad as you thought.[/ends jingle] Folks you know Marie is the only name in pies because 'When Marie offers her pie...the boys come-a-runnin' Wouldn't this be a great time to bring more pie into your life? Yes, nothing gets the taste out of your mouth of shame and humiliation because of your lousy job quite like Marie Callender's Pies...now available in YOUR super market's frozen food section!

#8 Edited by NorseDudeTR (425 posts) -
#9 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

Jeff's radio commercial voice is fantastic, but I think Vinny's clueless persona is what really... sells me on the ads.

#10 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2810 posts) -

Jeff's radio commercial voice is fantastic, but I think Vinny's clueless persona is what really... sells me on the ads.

In the history of comedy duos there are Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, Burn and Allen and...Bert and Ernie. But, now we have Gerstmann and Caravella.

#11 Edited by freakin9 (1130 posts) -

I'm a average height business owner... just to be clear... I don't want people making assumptions about my height.

#12 Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) -

I guess if Vinny was described as a "short" business owner, I'd buy the second poll option. Small doesn't really refer to height when we're talking about a person.

#13 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5551 posts) -

Does Jeff have a "booming" voice? I mean it's definitely a good voice for communicating and bullshitting, but it doesn't quite have the RTD flavor of boom.

#14 Posted by VoshiNova (1693 posts) -

This is what I would have typed into this field. <3

#15 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (593 posts) -

I love love love listening to the ads. I don't know if they rehearse those or what, but the way they feed off each other so perfectly is pure gold in comedy. I would never want to skip these.

#16 Posted by golguin (3940 posts) -

I always get the podcast with the ads. I think they're pretty funny.

#17 Posted by rickyyo (143 posts) -

When he says this "Hey there small business owner" .... I hear this "Hey there big business owner". Because politicians talk about small businesses when in fact what they really mean big business.

#18 Posted by cooljammer00 (1805 posts) -

I just can't believe there are people who choose to not listen to the ads at the start. I'm a premium member and I still get the regular feed.

#19 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2810 posts) -

I use the regular feed because honestly an ad doesn't bother me. I listen or watch to tons of podcasts/vlogs that have ads and the only ones that bother me are the too-long pre-role vlogs ads or teh sites that repeat the same 'lame ad' over and over and over again.

Paul Scheer, at How Did This Get Made, does what Jeff does. Paul reads his own text about the product, does it slightly off the cuff, and makes it fun. [Don't tell Paul, but I love his wife! June Diane Raphael is a goddess.]

#20 Edited by Sergio (2131 posts) -

I only listened to the first ad-supported podcast without ads, then the beginning of that podcast with ads and decided I'd stick with the version with the ads because I enjoy the way they handle it. And yes, when I listened to that, I wondered if there was a comma there.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

They're not psycho killers, they're just small business owners.

(high-five to anyone who gets that reference)

#22 Edited by TopCat88 (176 posts) -

I'd never thought of this before, but I will do from now on. I'll have to wait and see if that's a good thing.

#23 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

Gotta be honest here: premium people not getting the ads on the Bombcast are MISSING OUT!

#24 Edited by GaspoweR (3064 posts) -

Hey, maybe some time down the the line @vinny becomes a big time business owner from all that ad revenue :P :P :P

#25 Edited by HatKing (5973 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Gotta be honest here: premium people not getting the ads on the Bombcast are MISSING OUT!

Hey, I'm still getting them. As far as I know, or care, the only ones uploaded to iTunes are the ones with ads. I don't much care to download each podcast manually, and I kind of like the ads, so there.

#26 Posted by GaspoweR (3064 posts) -

Hey, maybe some time down the the line @vinny becomes a big time business owner from all that ad revenue :P :P :P

#27 Edited by Andorski (5330 posts) -

Jeff is either addressing a nice elderly couple who owns a local shop in a quaint town...

... or Jeff is addressing his a drug dealer. Either are plausible.

#28 Posted by Andorski (5330 posts) -

@hatking said:

Hey, I'm still getting them. As far as I know, or care, the only ones uploaded to iTunes are the ones with ads. I don't much care to download each podcast manually, and I kind of like the ads, so there.

The non-ads Bombcast are on the Premium Podcast feed. You would need to manually subscribe to it on iTunes though, and it's pretty finicky when it comes to downloading the latest episodes.

#29 Posted by Humanity (9376 posts) -

I think they are funny but I don't think I can even remember what product they advertise. I imagine they actually need people to go sign up for these things to keep getting ad money.

#30 Posted by flippyandnod (391 posts) -

I think it's neither. Small business man is a man of indeterminate size who owns a business (also of indeterminate size) and that business's primary field is the business of small. Maybe he makes small cars, maybe he makes small handbags, maybe he makes model trains, I dunno.

#31 Edited by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

I just recently became aware of this thread. This is a topic that has robbed me of plenty nights of sleep. Glad to see I'm not the only one...

I think the Small Business Man is a very short person who runs a business, BTW. At least, that how I like to think about him.

#32 Edited by Generic_username (612 posts) -

@zombiepenguin9 said:

In the history of comedy duos there are Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, Burn and Allen and...Bert and Ernie. But, now we have Gerstmann and Caravella.

They've always been the best pair on the site, in my opinion.