#1 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

#2 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

B. Mexico was beautiful.

#3 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

@zombiebigfoot said:

B. Mexico was beautiful.

Mexico had that awesome acoustic guitar interlude when you entered it. The most action going on in the country side, most interesting side missions, the best section of the story and it was beautiful.

There are some people, not naming names *cough* *cough* on the wrong side of history about Mexico.

#4 Posted by GunstarRed (5186 posts) -

My favourite section of the game was after John returned home to his wife and kid. I loved that section, kinda ballsy for a game that had up to that point been mostly about shooting loads of dudes in the face.

I really enjoyed the whole game, even Mexico. Some of my best memories of the game are in that section.

#5 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I enjoyed all of it ... but my favorite part was probably the time you spent on new Austin in the McFarlane ranch helping Bonnie and learning things from her.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -

I thought Mexico was fucking boring, and its story was largely self-contained and didn't service the main plot in any meaningful way. The atmosphere and landscape was enjoyable to travel across, though. In any case New Austin was my favourite section; primarily because that's the first area you're introduced to, where everything about RDR is so fresh and wondrous. I can remember completely skipping the story at first in favour of just exploring around, completing challenges, capturing bounties ect.

West Elizabeth is also fantastic. I love the soundtrack when you're in Blackwater, and Tall Trees could become surprisingly haunting at night time when-OMGABEARSOMEBODYHELPME!

#7 Posted by Shaka999 (480 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

My favourite section of the game was after John returned home to his wife and kid. I loved that section, kinda ballsy for a game that had up to that point been mostly about shooting loads of dudes in the face.

I really enjoyed the whole game, even Mexico. Some of my best memories of the game are in that section.

Completely agree with this. Those last few missions where it seemed like John finally had a regular life were excellent. Boring, but I think that was the point & it tied into the ending of the game perfectly.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The whole game should have mostly been set in Mexico and around a revolution. Once the game left there it just started draaaaagging.

#9 Posted by BigDaddy81 (328 posts) -

Any part that didn't have cougars. That game proved to me Jurassic Park was wrong. Velociraptors didn't evolve into birds, they evolved into those goddamn motherfucking murder cats from Red Dead.

I still have nightmares....

#10 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

@GunstarRed said:

Completely agree with this. Those last few missions where it seemed like John finally had a regular life were excellent. Boring, but I think that was the point & it tied into the ending of the game perfectly.

Yeah, I know it caught a lot of flak around the time of its release for that, but I thought it worked perfectly. Agree that it was really ballsy for a game to suddenly slow it all down like that.

Still don't understand why people disliked the ending for that game.

I honestly don't know which section I would say is my favorite: I just really love that game. It's the only one I've ever 100%.

#11 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I thought Mexico was sub-par compared to the other two, but I still really liked it. Very hard to decide between the other two, but when I think Red Dead Redemption I think about all the stuff up to Mexico and then the very last couple hours of the game. So, I guess New Austin.

#12 Posted by Deadmanforking (577 posts) -

Mexico.

#13 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

New Austin and West Elizabeth were the best. I didn't really care for the Mexico section.

#14 Posted by Unlogik (163 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I thought Mexico was fucking boring, and its story was largely self-contained and didn't service the main plot in any meaningful way. The atmosphere and landscape was enjoyable to travel across, though. In any case New Austin was my favourite section; primarily because that's the first area you're introduced to, where everything about RDR is so fresh and wondrous. I can remember completely skipping the story at first in favour of just exploring around, completing challenges, capturing bounties ect.

West Elizabeth is also fantastic. I love the soundtrack when you're in Blackwater, and Tall Trees could become surprisingly haunting at night time when-OMGABEARSOMEBODYHELPME!

Totally with Yummy. West Elizabeth was such an amazing section — also fuck those bears and cougars.

#15 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I would go with Mexico for reasons already explained here. Man RDR was such an amazing game. God damn.

#16 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I agree with Patrick in theory, Mexico is a huge step into a side war story that has not that much to do with Marsten, but I think they handle it well, and the characters ae awesome, so Mexico's probably my favourite section in the game.

#17 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

I never forget when your first enter mexico and when you leave mexico but song queues rocked.

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5479 posts) -

Tall Trees, though AC3 is actually better looking and fleshed out in that regard, not to mention 5-10 times the size. How's your boy John?

#19 Posted by Ghostiet (5274 posts) -

Kinda hard to decide. Atmosphere-wise, New Austin. Mexico was the most fun, while West Elizabeth was brilliant thematically.

I'm completely biased when it comes to RDR - it's one of my favorite games ever - so I don't know.

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Probably C. I liked that after Marston accomplished his goal the game continued. The ending was alright too.

#21 Posted by Shaka999 (480 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic: Wait, people disliked the ending? The ending was easily the best part!

Anyone who disagrees, I'd love to hear your reasoning...

#22 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

I'm glad the majority of this thread is on the right side of history, good work guys.

#23 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -

A. Mexico was beautiful and had that fantastic musical intro but the story was overall pretty meh and due to an early bug which would crash my game whenever i fast traveled forcing me to restart the whole game midway through West Elizabth, it was kind of tainted for me. But that ending.......on man that ending.....so good.....

#24 Posted by Aegon (5637 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

@GunstarRed said:

If I had to choose, it would be the last option, for the reasons given above and more. I enjoyed all of it though. One of my fave games this gen and definitely my favourite Rockstar game.

#25 Posted by SSully (4186 posts) -

I thought Mexico dragged on, if it didn't have such a fantastic atmosphere I would have hated it. I still thing the first part was the best though.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Mexico had a lot more cliffs to accidentally ride off of. So, Mexico.

#27 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -

Highlight for me was just riding across the absolutely gorgeous open-world for the sake of it. I didn't think the story was all that.

#28 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2008 posts) -

Well, the first time I tried RDR I made it to Mexico and, although the Jose Gonzalez tune was perfect and killer, stopped almost immediately at that point. It was a confluence of burning out on that game, the area being fucking terribly boring, and losing interest in the story.

I eventually beat it, but goddamn that Mexico part was dull. The New Austin section was my favorite, easily.

#29 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I very strongly preferred the Red Dead Revolver section over the Red Dead Redemption section

#30 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

New Austin overall, but Tall Trees in West Elizabeth was my absolute favorite place. That first bear.

#31 Posted by lilfurrybuddha (3 posts) -

C, I'm way in the minority.

#32 Posted by song316 (2 posts) -

Mexico, more connected story

#33 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -

The opening when talking to bonny was great and my favorite part. The end was also great and falling in a last would have to be Mexico. It had a great start and introduction as while as feeling the most western out of the three parts. The problem i had with it was i felt like the GTA formula started to bleed into the game at that point when i felt like a useless henchman doing oddjobs for dirt bags i will end up killing in the end.

which until that point they did a great job of staying away from that GTA trend and move to a different beat. Even with that it was still a run ride and i did not have such a big problem with it like others did.

#34 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -
#35 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

The last part, followed closely by the first. Was not a fan of the Mexico portion at all, and was so happy when I finally drudged through it.

#36 Posted by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

West Elisabeth. That section had no fat, just a full sprint to the finish line.

#37 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

Hm! Hard to pick just one. Mexico looked amazing, but I also loved all the wintery parts of New Austin. Damn this game is so good.

#38 Posted by UitDeToekomst (714 posts) -

i've tried to get into this game 3 times and have never made it through more than an hour before giving up and moving on to something else. a lot of people seem to be saying that the beginning is 'the boring part', so maybe one of these days when i trim down my backlog I will finally reach a point at which i will try this game a 4th time.

#39 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

B. Mexico was beautiful.

Mexico had that awesome acoustic guitar interlude when you entered it.

This is still my favorite moment in any game this generation. So amazing.

#40 Posted by StayPuftGiant (14 posts) -

Mexico was gorgeous, although I actually loved helping around the Mcfarlane (?) homestead.

#41 Posted by project343 (2825 posts) -

The post-Mexico section was my favourite. It was tonally just something so unexpected to move back in with your family and slow back down. The typical video game arc just ratchets up to an eventual chaos and closing. This was completely refreshing and came full circle in such a magical way.

#42 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

I enjoyed all of the game but Mexico did drag on a couple hours too long. If I have to pick I think the beginning up until Mexico was where I had the most fun with the game. The ending not so great because herding cattle is the fucking worst

#43 Posted by BBQBram (2236 posts) -

West-Elizabeth, because I love the aesthetic to death. The snowy mountains, the woods, great plains and waterways...gorgeous. It was also a brilliant thematic contrast, being divided right in two by relentless force of nature in the west and man's blind corruption encroaching from the east. And as mentioned above, the way John's arc is actually an arc and not a straight line up; stopping the bank robbery and other intense missions, culminating in the assault on Cochinay and Dutch's Nietzschean end would have been a satisfying yet predictable (in terms of resolve) ending, but nah, they stepped it up a notch with the false sense of security and the end, and then the switch, and the end end.

Though I think all three regions (and the counties within them) work because they are all part of a palette of art direction and are made to complement and contrast each other brilliantly. People like to be cynical about Rockstar games sometimes but no one can even touch their art design save for maybe Irrational Games. There is so much more nuance to it then just "it's a cactus!" it's not even funny.

/fanboyrant

#44 Posted by Mackinder (74 posts) -

It was all insanely awesome! But probably Mexico...

#45 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

Glad to see this thread still going on strong.