#1 Posted by Behonkiss (68 posts) -

I fell in love with the Bombcast and subscribed and listened to every episode starting back in its inception in 2007, but as of two months ago, the show's become so insufferable that I had to stop listening completely. It seems really obvious to me that the guys just don't enjoy games any more, which makes for a depressing and unenjoyable listen. Even the little things that annoyed me a bit, like Jeff's constant "Ugh"s and mouth fart noises, seem to pop up more and more.

When I posted stuff about this before, the main response I got was that they were just bored with the current generation of games, and that the new generation of consoles would be what they need. Guess what? If the comments for each podcast (Which I still read) are any indication, they're already taking a big shit on consoles that aren't out yet. I can deal with guys who are jaded to a point, but by now, I'm convinced these guys should maybe consider getting jobs outside of games if they can't find anything to enjoy about them any more.

#2 Edited by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

How about you leave their life decisions to them? If you don't want to listen, then don't listen. I don't really understand why you felt you needed to tell us any of this.

#3 Posted by pyrodactyl (1856 posts) -

Maybe overreacting/projecting a tiny bit are we? I honestly aven't noticed any bad trends from the bombcast lately and I personally think it's as good as ever.

#4 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

N...No?

#5 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Wait, didn't we just have this thread?

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (7918 posts) -

What?

You don't like the Bombcast ergo the entire staff hates video games?

I must have hallucinated all that BioShock Infinite content.

#7 Posted by Strife777 (1490 posts) -

Not me! Eff that! Best podcast there is.

#8 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

I'm sorry you feel that way man. Good luck, hope you find another site that'll hold your interests.

#9 Edited by Tearhead (2147 posts) -

Since when has the Bombcast been about games?

#10 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -

Dunno what your talking about here. They seem to enjoy plenty of current games and seem to be pretty excited for the new generation. It almost makes me want ask for actual quotes to show their jaded.

#11 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

no one is forcing you to listen to it.... if you dont like it anymore then dont listen to it.

#13 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

so, did you expect this to go better than it did? maybe next time you'll sway us...

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Sorry to hear that. I don't think the podcast feels as fresh and new as when it started four years and a half years ago, but I think it's over-the-top to suggest that these guys don't like video games. I don't want to do the standard knee-jerk biased thing and wave off any possible criticism of the staff, but seriously, you don't put this many hours of hard work and dedication into something you don't have a passion for, and I think their enthusiasm for games shows through in their work. I do think we still have a bit of an issue with this generation winding down, but I wouldn't say they're just taking a shit over the next lot of consoles, did you see how those guys went against the crowd and praised the PS3 event? And just look at the enthusiasm for recent games like Bioshock Infinite or Patrick's curiosity with indie developers. The guys are laid-back, maybe a bit tired of current gen, but I don't think they're jaded.

#15 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (412 posts) -

The guys have always been a little jaded about games. It's nothing new.

If you listened to the Gamespot years you could hear Jeff being pretty critical of Gears of War before it hit. Or more recently Vinny being negative about any motion controlled games, or anything related to Flower.

Patrick is probably the most optimistic and open minded of the bunch and I'd say that age and time spent in the industry have to do with it.

If you want non stop enthusiasm then maybe check out IGN? Not a dig against those guys but they tend to be more upbeat about games.

Maybe the problem isn't with them, maybe you just have different tastes now and are looking for something different. Because far as I can tell the Giant Bomb guys haven changed much since they started in terms of their approach to games.

If anything they've become a little more open minded especially when it comes to something like mobile games.

#16 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

You talk like they've just now become jaded and bitter.

Are you sure you aren't new?

#17 Posted by Doomed (192 posts) -

They are down on games now because the cycle has been going on for so long. Jeff has said he saw some game that he really liked (that he can't talk about yet) a few weeks ago. There is hope.

#18 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@doomed said:

They are down on games now because the cycle has been going on for so long. Jeff has said he saw some game that he really liked (that he can't talk about yet) a few weeks ago. There is hope.

It was Transistor.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -

Without bombcast there is no point to life man.

#20 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

You want jaded and ultra-critical? Try the Besties. I love those guys but CHRIST, do they shit on games constantly. Even games they supposedly love like Bioshock Infinite.

EDIT: Man, that was my 5000th post? I wish it was something more cheerful.

#21 Posted by Slag (3919 posts) -

The Bombcast is the one thing that has arguably never really dipped in quality.

They made be jaded, they may be burnt out on games, but dang it if they still aren't entertaining as a group.

#22 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

I still listen and have been loving it. I don't care that you don't listen and I don't expect you to care that I do listen. It's really a bit weird that you even made a topic about it really.

#23 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

fuck no.

#24 Edited by Hunkulese (2628 posts) -

@behonkiss said:

I fell in love with the Bombcast and subscribed and listened to every episode starting back in its inception in 2007, but as of two months ago, the show's become so insufferable that I had to stop listening completely. It seems really obvious to me that the guys just don't enjoy games any more, which makes for a depressing and unenjoyable listen. Even the little things that annoyed me a bit, like Jeff's constant "Ugh"s and mouth fart noises, seem to pop up more and more.

When I posted stuff about this before, the main response I got was that they were just bored with the current generation of games, and that the new generation of consoles would be what they need. Guess what? If the comments for each podcast (Which I still read) are any indication, they're already taking a big shit on consoles that aren't out yet. I can deal with guys who are jaded to a point, but by now, I'm convinced these guys should maybe consider getting jobs outside of games if they can't find anything to enjoy about them any more.

Maybe you should look at what's been released this year. There have been a handful of games that they have praised and talked about but there really isn't anything else worth talking about. How many weeks has the release schedule been nothing but ugh? There aren't a lot of games to be excited about right now. Since the start of the year they've had generally positive discussions about DMC, Antichamber, Revengence, Tomb Raider, HotS, Luigi's Mansion, Bioshock and Guacamelee not to mention the niche games that Patrick talks at length about.

If anything their approach to the new consoles is cautiously optimistic and they haven't really said anything negative about them. The only concern they have is that they don't want to be playing shiny versions of what they're playing now and I'm pretty sure most people feel the same way. I don't know if you're new to the internet but it's time you found out that the comments for anything are the worst possible source of information. Why are you even reading them? Bombcast comments aren't even meant to be read.

If you don't like the Bombcast anymore that's fine but just move on. No one else cares what you think especially not when you're telling the hosts to find a new career choice because they're not gushing all over Gears of War Judgement.

#25 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@tearhead said:

Since when has the Bombcast been about games?

LOL

#26 Edited by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

I'm jaded about games too thanks to the length of this generation, and I'm not even a console gamer. Console generations do impact PC games though, so I'm still feeling it. I think people will be revitalized when the new hardware launches and companies start to do new and exciting things.

#27 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

Said no one ever

#28 Edited by Milkman (16484 posts) -

The community is a thousand times more "jaded" than any of the Giant Bomb guys.

#29 Posted by cmblasko (1108 posts) -

Still one of the highlights of my week.

#30 Edited by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

That's the only thing keeping my alive.

#31 Posted by WesleyWyndam (134 posts) -

I like it.

#32 Edited by TopSteer (634 posts) -

I pretty much have stopped but not for the reasons you listed.Their general cynicism and jadedness doesn't bother me that much cause they've always seemed that way to me and I've gotten used to it by now. I've been behind for awhile now and can't really explain why I have little desire to catch up.

#33 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Love the Bombcast...I just hate I have to keep hitting the skip 15 seconds forward button for about 10 minute to get to actual video game conversation (about an hour again). Annoying when I forget to do it before I start driving.

#34 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

I feel like we get some variation of this thread every other week or so. The bombcast is still fine. They've lost some of their fire from the early days, but that's to be expected after 5 years of doing it. Still better than most of the podcasts ostensibly about Video games out there.

#35 Edited by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

@behonkiss:

No one is forcing you or expects you to listen to the show. You don't even have to come to the site. The decision to take in content is entirely your's. So if you don't like what the site is offering then stop consuming the content. That's totally valid. Making a thread announcing to everyone else on the site that you aren't consuming that content and why you aren't consuming it is silly though. It makes you sound like an attention whore for no good reason. Just stop coming to the site and move on with your life. You'll be happier apparently.

#36 Posted by kkotd (289 posts) -

Since when has the Bombcast had structure or been about one topic? Look man, if you don't like the duder society, Gamespot is just down the hall. They like to do this thing called 'being professional', pfft, yeah man, I don't know what that is. While the Bombcast has definitely had its ups and downs, it's always been this weird mix of real life, tangents and sometimes games.

#37 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

The only reason I don't listen to the bombcast is because its too long. I got work to do and having people talking in the background is too distracting, I suppose I could listen to 15 min gaps in between work, but once I start something it's hard to turn it off.

#38 Posted by SharpShotApollo (146 posts) -

I don't feel any of this and I still look forward to Tuesdays more than ever. I've stopped listening to a lot of gaming podcasts over the years. The only one I still listen to is the Bombcast. It has everything I want and need from a gaming podcast. If you don't like it, you really don't need to listen to it. I mean, nobody is forcing you, but I'm not sure why you felt the need to broadcast it to everyone.

#39 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The Bombcast is consistently one of the best parts of my week. It's been that way since it started, and it hasn't changed.

#40 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

I've actually really enjoyed the Bombcast lately. Just yesterday I was laughing at their last one. If you genuinely think they're not excited about games, you're just not paying enough attention.

#41 Posted by ez123 (1944 posts) -

I don't really like it anymore but it's not because of the "they're jaded" thing, it's just not funny.

#43 Posted by ripelivejam (3473 posts) -

Nope.

#44 Edited by myketuna (1644 posts) -

Not me.

#45 Posted by Ben_H (3296 posts) -

Who listens to the Bombcast for the stuff about games?

#46 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

Every tuesday night, mother fucker.

#47 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Wait, werent they talking about how excited they were for the PS4 because it marked the start of a new generation?

#48 Edited by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

Wait, werent they talking about how excited they were for the PS4 because it marked the start of a new generation?

You were obviously hearing things. We all were.

#49 Posted by Noitwont (39 posts) -

I'm mad because I thought the bombcast was about actual bombs.

#50 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Uh, no.