Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

Confession time.

I have never utilized the opinion of a Giant Bomb staffer to help me decide whether or not to buy a game.

Sorry, guys. I understand that the mission they have for this site is to provide expert opinions on video games that will help guide the purchasing decisions of gaming enthusiasts like me. But the honest truth is that I'm going to buy what I'm going to buy. And like your average American consumer, my predisposition to purchase one game or another is very difficult to shake. I HAVE PLAYED EVERY RESIDENT EVIL GAME EVER RELEASED AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF I'M NOT GOING TO PLAY RE6.

Honestly, I would be very surprised if the average reader of video game enthusiast press websites and magazines relied on those publications to guide their purchasing decisions from month to month. Your average reader more likely gravitates toward outlets that can support his own preconceived notions about a game, focuses on the kinds of games that he likes to play, and also provides a like-minded community where he feels welcomed.

But honestly, none of these are reasons that I frequent Giant Bomb. The real reason that I visit the website, watch the videos, obsess over when the Bombcast gets posted each week, and skim through the GB phone app during meetings is because Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny and Patrick are Jeff, Ryan Brad, Vinny and Patrick. In short, I am part of the Giant Bomb community because of its personalities.

Thinking about it, the majority of the content that I consume associated with this website has nothing to do with games that I play or ever plan on playing. Shit, I watched a Quick Look of Intel: Discovered the other day! And I watched it because I wanted to see the goofy shit that those guys would get up to. (And, secretly, I was hoping to see Jeff break a Kinect out of sheer frustration.)

The Bombcast is my #1 preferred method of consuming Giant Bomb information. And the "Whatcha Been Playin'?" segment is my least favorite. I'm much more interested in what license Vinny is working on this week, whether Jeff is going to kill his roommate, and what tier/ranking/class/medal/level/recognition/status/segment Brad has achieved in Starcraft 2 over the weekend. I want horror movie reviews from Patrick and character actor trivia from Ryan. To be honest, these guys could be reviewing flavors of canned soup, and I would still listen to the show. Because they are funny, entertaining, and they work well together.

The same goes for the entire website. And so, yeah, occasionally I may read a review of a game. But more often than not I am not looking for buying advice. I'm looking for entertainment.

I don't know why other users come to the site, but I suspect I'm not alone. And I really don't mean to burst anyone's bubble about the value or usefulness of the reviews on the site. In the end, I'm an avid video game player. And so I value being part of a video game-focused community. And I'm glad that games have brought together this collection of talent that I get to watch and listen to and--occasionally--interact with. But if suddenly there were no more games and I ran out of money and I would never again ever buy another video game-related product ever again, I would still visit this website every day. Because it's run by interesting and entertaining people. And I hope they don't have plans on stopping anytime soon.

I would love to see more content on Giant Bomb that occasionally diverts from gaming. Sure, I realize that most of it has to have that video game hook. But would I watch an hour-long video of these idiots cruising around Germany in Porsches at breakneck speeds? Shit, yes! Would I listen to a podcast of Vinny from his ham radio for a couple of hours each week? You bet! Would I watch a video of Jeff washing his car in a white undershirt that's just one size too small set to Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again?" What a ridiculous question!

Anyhow, the point is that Giant Bomb, for me, is a source of entertainment first, community second, and video game purchasing guidance third. Or maybe fourth... Third would be a source of the baddest summer jams... BUT I DIGRESS!

Keep it up, guys. You're a lot of fun to watch, listen to and read. And don't sweat the "trust" thing. I don't believe a goddamn word that comes out of your mouths.

#1 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

Confession time.

I have never utilized the opinion of a Giant Bomb staffer to help me decide whether or not to buy a game.

Sorry, guys. I understand that the mission they have for this site is to provide expert opinions on video games that will help guide the purchasing decisions of gaming enthusiasts like me. But the honest truth is that I'm going to buy what I'm going to buy. And like your average American consumer, my predisposition to purchase one game or another is very difficult to shake. I HAVE PLAYED EVERY RESIDENT EVIL GAME EVER RELEASED AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF I'M NOT GOING TO PLAY RE6.

Honestly, I would be very surprised if the average reader of video game enthusiast press websites and magazines relied on those publications to guide their purchasing decisions from month to month. Your average reader more likely gravitates toward outlets that can support his own preconceived notions about a game, focuses on the kinds of games that he likes to play, and also provides a like-minded community where he feels welcomed.

But honestly, none of these are reasons that I frequent Giant Bomb. The real reason that I visit the website, watch the videos, obsess over when the Bombcast gets posted each week, and skim through the GB phone app during meetings is because Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny and Patrick are Jeff, Ryan Brad, Vinny and Patrick. In short, I am part of the Giant Bomb community because of its personalities.

Thinking about it, the majority of the content that I consume associated with this website has nothing to do with games that I play or ever plan on playing. Shit, I watched a Quick Look of Intel: Discovered the other day! And I watched it because I wanted to see the goofy shit that those guys would get up to. (And, secretly, I was hoping to see Jeff break a Kinect out of sheer frustration.)

The Bombcast is my #1 preferred method of consuming Giant Bomb information. And the "Whatcha Been Playin'?" segment is my least favorite. I'm much more interested in what license Vinny is working on this week, whether Jeff is going to kill his roommate, and what tier/ranking/class/medal/level/recognition/status/segment Brad has achieved in Starcraft 2 over the weekend. I want horror movie reviews from Patrick and character actor trivia from Ryan. To be honest, these guys could be reviewing flavors of canned soup, and I would still listen to the show. Because they are funny, entertaining, and they work well together.

The same goes for the entire website. And so, yeah, occasionally I may read a review of a game. But more often than not I am not looking for buying advice. I'm looking for entertainment.

I don't know why other users come to the site, but I suspect I'm not alone. And I really don't mean to burst anyone's bubble about the value or usefulness of the reviews on the site. In the end, I'm an avid video game player. And so I value being part of a video game-focused community. And I'm glad that games have brought together this collection of talent that I get to watch and listen to and--occasionally--interact with. But if suddenly there were no more games and I ran out of money and I would never again ever buy another video game-related product ever again, I would still visit this website every day. Because it's run by interesting and entertaining people. And I hope they don't have plans on stopping anytime soon.

I would love to see more content on Giant Bomb that occasionally diverts from gaming. Sure, I realize that most of it has to have that video game hook. But would I watch an hour-long video of these idiots cruising around Germany in Porsches at breakneck speeds? Shit, yes! Would I listen to a podcast of Vinny from his ham radio for a couple of hours each week? You bet! Would I watch a video of Jeff washing his car in a white undershirt that's just one size too small set to Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again?" What a ridiculous question!

Anyhow, the point is that Giant Bomb, for me, is a source of entertainment first, community second, and video game purchasing guidance third. Or maybe fourth... Third would be a source of the baddest summer jams... BUT I DIGRESS!

Keep it up, guys. You're a lot of fun to watch, listen to and read. And don't sweat the "trust" thing. I don't believe a goddamn word that comes out of your mouths.

#2 Posted by Bocam (3669 posts) -

@TheBookNerd said:

And don't sweat the "trust" thing. I don't believe a goddamn word that comes out of our mouth.

What?

#3 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

I agree totally. The best Giant Bomb content is when the guys go off tangent or when games glitch out on them, not them fawning over games (Starcraft will never not be boring to me).

As someone who has written for video game sites in the past, I can definitely say nothing is like what the guys do here. My old site actually shit all over me for adding too much personality into editorials, something I've come to expect from Giant Bomb.

#4 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Are you OK?

#5 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1917 posts) -

Giant Bomb is a perfect amalgam of entertainment and 'srs' games coverage. I respect all of the guys' opinions, especially Jeff and Ryan, and more often than not I find I can align my views on video games relative to them, even if I don't like the game they're praising (or vice versa). It's awesome to have that sort of connection to a reviewer where if I read a review by Jeff, by the end of it I'll be able to easily apply that to spending my gaming budget. I've tried staying with sites that have relatively consistent editorial staff before, but I can always trust the GB staff's opinions.

Always.

#6 Posted by jaycrockett (425 posts) -

I get what you are saying about the entertainment factor, but I definitely use the guys opinions (among other things) to inform my purchasing decisions. Maybe it's because I buy so few games (maybe one every three months or so) but I spend a lot of time deciding what my next game will be, and quick looks, podcast discussion, reviews, demos, etc. all factor into it.

For example I really thought Most Wanted was going to be my automatic game of the fall, but after the quick look and everything else I've heard of it, I'm really put off of it.

#7 Posted by 71Ranchero (2673 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

Are you OK?

BUSTER WOLF!

#8 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

@Bocam: Fixed.

#9 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@TheBookNerd: I have never utilized the opinion of a Giant Bomb staffer to help me decide whether or not to buy a game.

This sounds a lot like when people say, "Advertising doesn't work on me." If you visit this site with any regularity, they have almost certainly shaped your interest or chance of purchase toward certain games in ways you just may not have realized. Not that that is a bad thing.. they're smart guys who know what they're talking about.

#10 Posted by Live2bRighteous (313 posts) -

Agreed to the fullest. In conclusion, I love RE6, but I also love Giantbomb!

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1498 posts) -

This is why I visit this site regularly for the QL, Bombcasts, and overall craziness but rely on other sites for my news. They do a great job with it when they do cover something but I feel a need to know as much as I can. Which is why I have probably a dozen gaming sites in my RSS feed for news.

#12 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

These guys are entertaining and usually their crazy likes are something that make me smile. The stupid way Jeff spends money, how Brad sucks at games besides Starcraft. Vinny being racist. But their opinions are always pretty nicely backed up and the quicklooks and reviews do showcase the little things and nuances of a game that can make the difference between it being terrible or great.

Also, I know people call into question integrity when you see cross promotion like what they were talking about with Geoff Keighley, but man, this is the place I would come to for a Mountain Dew Game Fuel review.

#13 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I think you've just seen the RE6 quick look on YouTube and got all butt hurt about how Giant Bomb basically doesn't care for RE6. So you come on here, create an account and try to pretend not to be a snivilling youtube commentator with a bone to pick. Why else would you switch between pretending to enjoy Giant Bomb but at the same time say you don't trust them and that their opinions are worthless.

How I know this is the case?

I understand that the mission they have for this site is to provide expert opinions on video games that will help guide the purchasing decisions of gaming enthusiasts like me.

You don't know Giant Bomb at all do you?

#14 Posted by believer258 (11565 posts) -

So this is a long blog of you saying "I'm going to play RE6 whether you tell me to or not! Oh, yeah, and your site's still all right."

Nobody has said that you can't play RE6, but the Giantbomb guys didn't like it at all. They said they thought it was a bad game and gave reasons for why. Doesn't mean you can't think of it as a good game.

#15 Edited by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

BUSTED!

nailed it. I actually signed up and wrote my first blog post in 2010 anticipating that RE6 would be a monumental failure and that the guys would hate it, specifically so I could feign credibility with the site's fanbase when I made a veiled attack on Giant Bomb's expertise.

I am that smart.

ORRRRR... I simply meant exactly what I wrote.

Either one is possible, really.

Also, time travel.

#16 Posted by TheHumanDove (2504 posts) -

Are you under the influence, my good man?

#17 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@TheBookNerd said:

BUSTED!

nailed it. I actually signed up and wrote my first blog post in 2010 anticipating that RE6 would be a monumental failure and that the guys would hate it, specifically so I could feign credibility with the site's fanbase when I made a veiled attack on Giant Bomb's expertise.

I am that smart.

Also, time travel.

lol don't mind the trolls, you make a decent point in your OP

#18 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I use the site mostly because the game pages are a good hub for finding quick info. I think the content has been waning in quality with Quick Looks at times being uninformed with shockingly bad gameplay (for people who play games for a living) and the whole premium membership thing seems more worthless than ever.

#19 Posted by Mirado (983 posts) -

@TheBookNerd said:

Sorry, guys. I understand that the mission they have for this site is to provide expert opinions on video games that will help guide the purchasing decisions of gaming enthusiasts like me.

Is it though? I'd be shocked if they derive most of their traffic from the reviews themselves and not some video of them fucking about. Jeff has mentioned that reviews are becoming outmoded, and I agree 100%. This is an entertainment website that happens to have some of the best game reviewers around.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would come to this site if they are just looking for video game reviews. The amount of games (whole genres, even) that they exclude should see to that, and while they do a great job with the text reviews themselves, it's their personalities that keep me coming back. The reviews are a nice bonus, but I want to watch Brad beat his head against a game for six hours, or Patrick play (not-so) scary games in the dark, or Jeff ramble about some obscure game from his bedroom.

Hell, if Jeff made a website (podcast, blog, whatever) called "Shit That Happened to Me In My Old House", I think it'd pull 90% of the traffic this site gets, easy.

No review has ever made me go out and buy a game, or stopped me from getting one. TNTs or Quick Looks, on the other hand? Absolutely.

#20 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@Mirado said:

No review has ever made me go out and buy a game, or stopped me from getting one.

"Oh, shit! They liked it? Maybe I shouldn't get it, then."

#21 Posted by MURDERSMASH (249 posts) -

@TheBookNerd said:

Would I watch a video of Jeff washing his car in a white undershirt that's just one size too small set to Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again?" What a ridiculous question!

Bahahahah!

I've actually found reviews to be most useful when i'm on the fence with a game. I wasn't too sure I'd want to pick up Need for Speed: Most Wanted, but Jeff's review detailed many things that I wanted to see in such a game, and the overall positive review helped me make the decision.

Reviews are certainly helpful in some situations.

#22 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@TheBookNerd said:

BUSTED!

I am that smart.

Also, time travel.

~TIMEEE TRAVEL~ TRAVEL~ travel~ travel~

'sup?

Added by TheBookNerd on Jan. 30, 2010 follow | ignore |

What's up, people?

I'm a new member at GiantBomb. I've been a faithful reader/listener for over a year now but just now got around to actually joining the site. Glad to be here.

I've always loved video games. As a kid, our first system was the Atari 2600. Later on we got a Sega Master System. And eventually I was upgraded to the original GameBoy. But for some reason after that I took a hiatus from gaming, until I bought my first of two PS2s, followed by an original XBox, then another PS2... Most recently my wife bought me an XBox 360 for Christmas last year.

I play everything--shooters, RPGs, sports games, puzzle games, unrated adult novelty suspense titles featuring cosmetically altered bikini models...

I've taken a stab at blogging about games: www.gamerbrood.com. But my family and real job keep me so busy that I can't manage to post every day.

Also, I'm a faithful member of www.2old2play.com. If you are over 25 and looking for non-Timmies to enjoy some games with, I recommend you check it out.

Looking forward to being a member at GiantBomb and contributing to the forums, etc.

-Mark

#23 Edited by yoshisaur (2611 posts) -

I guess I was one of those users they targeted specifically with their layout being that my tastes usually line-up with Brad or Jeff. Sometimes I like to think of Brad as the angel on my shoulder, and Jeff the devil. ( I don't actually do that, just made the scenario up for this discussion >.>) Brad is the kind of guy that likes to give things a fair shot, and if it didn't impress him, hopefully make a bias-neutral opinion and move on. Jeff seems jaded in the industry, but still enjoys what he does. However, often times we find that Jeff is very quick to leap on dismissing a game, and slow to soak in it.

EDIT: I never visit this site to find out the opinion of a game based on one of the crews outlooks, but because they are so good at what they do, it's the best site to gather that sort of information when making the decision to purchase.

#24 Posted by Hunkulese (2628 posts) -

I'm always a little confused about why people make posts like this.

#25 Posted by Slag (3919 posts) -

chill out

#26 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

I'm here mostly for Vinny

#27 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

@Hunkulese: I was mostly organizing my thoughts after this week's podcast. Initially, all of my BS was put in an email to the Bombcast address. But they probably get so many emails to that thing, I figured they'd never see it. So I just dropped it here. No other reason, really.

#28 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

What do you mean you don't believe a word they say? They aren't out there preaching the gospel. They are in the opinion sharing business. You don't believe their opinions on games?

Maybe a poor choice of words on your part.

#29 Posted by Kaineda77 (127 posts) -

Canned soup reviews! Make it happen!