• 64 results
#1 Edited by Jedted (2322 posts) -

Like a lot of people i like listening the Bombcast before i go to bed, problem is sometimes i fall asleep while listening to it and when i wake up i have a hard time rewinding to see what was the last part i remember.

Edit: They should at least put time stamps in the description for each podcast. I don't think this is demanding a lot.

#2 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

Because then you won't get 30 minutes of discussion about HAM radio.

#3 Edited by MB (11977 posts) -

@Jedted said:

I'd think this would make it easier on Ryan since the shorter the file the less time it would take to upload each week.

Only to spend more time splitting it into two or more podcasts and then naming them, creating pages on the site for them, and all of that? That's way more work, not less....and it's still the same amount of data being uploaded, it would just be across more steps than it is now.

#4 Posted by The_Nubster (2047 posts) -

Don't fall asleep, sucka.

#5 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

Not a bad idea. Then premium members could get the whole thing and free members could get the second half the next week.
...wait a minute...

#6 Posted by Jedted (2322 posts) -

If not this then how bout they at least include a time stamp for when the News segment starts in the description? Surely that wouldn't be too hard to include.

I wasn't suggesting anything like that.

#7 Edited by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Maybe they could timestamp stuff, but I don't see how the same podcast with more editing and multiple uploads needing to be done means less work for Ryan. Personally, I don't think it would go together as smoothly if it was put out in this format and having to handle more than one file to listen to one Bombcast sounds a bit fiddly.

#8 Posted by M_Shini (550 posts) -

Putting in the bumper tracks in the podcasts is already too much work spent editing!

I have had this issue in the past sleeping in bed while listening, so i know your pain but @The_Nubster said:

Don't fall asleep, sucka.

is awesome advice for al of us with this issue.

#9 Posted by buttle826 (121 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Not a bad idea. Then premium members could get the whole thing and free members could get the second half the next week. ...wait a minute...

Literally the exact same thought I had when I read this

#10 Posted by Eaxis (899 posts) -

I would recommend an app or the function on a mp3 player to set a time for the music/podcast to stop. I set it up to stop the podcast within a certain time and then I can easily find out where I left off.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -
@TheSouthernDandy said:
Not a bad idea. Then premium members could get the whole thing and free members could get the second half the next week. ...wait a minute...
I lol'd 

I have the issue of falling asleep while listening as well, but at the worst I end up having to listen to 5-10 minutes of the podcast over again. It's slightly annoying but not that big of a deal, and I'd rather the format stay the same.
#12 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

I don't think they should change how the podcast works just because you fall asleep while listening to it. Listen to it the next day if you can't stay awake.

#13 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

What a stupid fucking idea. I'm sorry but that is ridiculous.

Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.

#14 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I hate it when podcasts split their shows up by the hour. A lot of radio shows do this. It's a pain in the ass because if you want to listen to a three or four hour radio show all the way through, the videos are posted first to last, and when you go to play them on your ipod the shows are listed in reverse order.

#15 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

I have that issue too, then I end up not listening to the rest of the podcast because I don't know where I last listened to.

#16 Posted by CaLe (3911 posts) -

It takes at most 30 seconds to find where you were and at worst you listen to something you've already heard.. This is unnecessary.

#17 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1524 posts) -

It would take the same amount of time to upload (maybe a couple of minutes?), but more work. It would also be a pain in the ass for the vast majority of us that don't fall asleep while listening.

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

Put time stamps in the description, don't cut it up.

#19 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

I always listen to podcasts as a thing to help me fall asleep, so I feel your pain. Usually it's not that hard though to just skip until you find the approximate spot you dozed off.

#20 Posted by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

That was the largest community backlash GB has ever seen.

#21 Posted by Kidavenger (3510 posts) -

People don't listen to the Bombcast over and over until the next one comes out?

For shame, for shame...

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Doesn't seem likely, considering how the community fought successfully against splitting up the podcast back in '010.

#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

This was suggested in the "Premium Member Subscription" thread a few days ago and, again, I must link to this thread to demonstrate why that's a horrible idea.

#24 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

I don't think you understand how editing and uploading a podcast works, since you suggest segmenting the Bombcast would mean less work for Ryan (which is editing and adds more work), and the uploading process doesn't really require much (if any) attention at all.

Also this is fairly unnecessary, just jump around the Bombcast until you find some of the last you remember hearing (or just listen to the entire thing again - I dunno...)

#25 Posted by FLStyle (4577 posts) -

No.

#26 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@Jedted: do what I do, set your playback device to automatically shut off after 10-20 minutes, depending on how quickly you fall asleep.

when you wake up, you know you probably just have to rewind a few minutes.

#27 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

It's fine how it is.

#28 Posted by Jedted (2322 posts) -

Okay, i admit the breaking Bombcast into segments is a bad idea. But the least we could get is some time stamps in the description, that's definitely not that hard to do.

#29 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

Doesn't seem likely, considering how the community fought successfully against splitting up the podcast back in '010.

Well, technically we paid to keep it from getting split up, but it sounds much more attractive when you put it that way. Not trying to throw GB under the bus, but it was definitely a low point for the site.

I don't understand why you would listen to the bombcast before going to bed. Or at least, in my mind, "before going to bed" means lying in bed listening to it. Civ V is my go-to podcast listening game. If I have nothing to do and want to listen to a podcast, but not do nothing while listening to it, I play Civ V. Or put it on when I'm replaying through a game like Dark Souls or something that requires grinding.

#30 Posted by chilibean_3 (1622 posts) -

Splitting it up is a terrible idea. Giving you time stamps seems like a huge pain in the ass for a three hour podcast that is always switching back and forth between a bunch of topics. Not worth it.

#31 Posted by pickassoreborn (521 posts) -

I see no issue here. Bombcast in one chunk is just fine.

#32 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Just look at the time when youre lying down so in the morning you could scroll around there and itll be easy to see where you left off

#33 Posted by Undeadpool (4908 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

HAW!!!

#34 Edited by fuzzybunny566 (448 posts) -

doesn't listening to a podcast and following the conversations kinda keep one from falling asleep?  that's quite the distraction...i just listen to music to fall asleep.  i mean, if the bombcast makes you fall asleep, that kinda makes it seem like the bombcast is too boring to stay awake to...just sayin'

#35 Edited by myketuna (1652 posts) -

My iPod dock has a sleep timer on it. So I just check the time before I dedicate myself to sleep (otherwise, I'd stay awake for 2-3 hours). And when I wake up, I subtract 15-20 min (since the iPod saves my position in the podcast once the sleep timer turns it off).

Why don't you invest in that?

#36 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

Seems like a lot of work for a small subset of people. I suggest getting an audio program and splitting it yourself.

As for time stamps. Ppl have asked for them before and Ryan has shown no interest. Maybe the community could provide them.

#37 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@chilibean_3 said:

Splitting it up is a terrible idea. Giving you time stamps seems like a huge pain in the ass for a three hour podcast that is always switching back and forth between a bunch of topics. Not worth it.

Doesn't seem like a huge pain in the ass to put down that they did "what are you playing", "news", and "emails" at times x,y, and z.

#38 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Doesn't the Rooster Teeth podcast do something similar? They have, or at least had, almost a track list within a podcast.

#39 Posted by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -

I fall alseep to the Bombcast all the time. I just go back to the last spot I was sure that I heard. Not exactly difficult on your end...

#40 Posted by LKPOWER (154 posts) -

@Jedted: I do the exact same thing you do but I just start again from the beginning and deal with it. A lot of times its more fun listening to the crazy beginning stuff a second time. Though I get what you're saying I'm not in favor of splitting up the bombcast

#41 Posted by believer258 (11634 posts) -

@Jedted said:

Okay, i admit the breaking Bombcast into segments is a bad idea. But the least we could get is some time stamps in the description, that's definitely not that hard to do.

Or, you could listen to it in your own segments.

I prefer my Bombcast in one big bite. I usually fire it up and put on some Borderlands or play Gun Game on Counter Strike. There's no reason why it shouldn't come in one big bite - if you prefer it in smaller bites, then you can break it up into your own bites. Listen to twenty minutes of it, write down the time you left off on, and come back later. I have to do that sometimes.

#42 Posted by SuperZamrod (269 posts) -

I would love it if they did this. I have this problem all the time

#43 Posted by Pr1mus (3810 posts) -

Time stamps in the description sure, splitting it up nooooooo.

#44 Posted by yoshisaur (2641 posts) -

I've wanted them to throw some "checkpoints" in there for a while, or at least Apple to do something with their fame and support something like that.

#45 Edited by kmg90 (415 posts) -

bOver the past couple of weeks, listening to old and new bombcasts on my drive to school, I've had crazy ideas of what if.... Including what if the Bombcasts had some sort of episode guide like database, that goes beyond the basic episode description...

My kerbels-inspired mind did formulate some ways to go about doing that...

I think fanscribed is the best middle ground in having timestamps and would be 100% on board to contribute and transcribe if someone with the required resources would launch such a thing!

a fanscribed podcast

#46 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The podcast has been too long for awhile, 2 hours max!

#47 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

never like when podcasts so the split.... kinda annoying with the bill simmons stuff since espn has this weird people don't listen to podcasts over a hour thing (which they probably are right about with the average person)

#48 Posted by PandaBear (1303 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I love the GB guys, but fuck that was a bad idea.

OP: don't fall asleep or get an app with a sleep timer. How the hell do you fall asleep to four dudes nattering on about whatever random shit they can think of anyway?

#49 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@rebgav: Its just crazy long for a podcast about video games. 3 and a half hours lately is just crazy.

#50 Posted by k4el (120 posts) -

@Jedted said:

Like a lot of people i like listening the Bombcast before i go to bed, problem is sometimes i fall asleep while listening to it and when i wake up i have a hard time rewinding to see what was the last part i remember.

Edit: They should at least put time stamps in the description for each podcast. I don't think this is demanding a lot.

I often listen to audio books when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. I ran into a similar problem early one when I developed this habit. Most devices have a sleep timer that you can set for 30m-45min so you won't get to far into what ever you're listening too.

What sort of device do you listen on?