Yo pup proflowers.com

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sparklehorse

What a joke. I recently ordered the giantbombcast special (19.99 for 100 something flowers and a glass vase) and everything went swimmingly...until I got the confirmation email that included my actual total (not the one that displayed on the website during checkout) and it was another 13 dollars more for shipping which left my bank account in the negative.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...You had less than $33 in the bank and you're buying flowers?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Why would you buy a 100 flowers if you only have $30 in the bank?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

@tobbrobb said:

Why would you buy a 100 flowers if you only have $30 in the bank?

That's not really an issue to discuss, their money, their finances, their choice.

To the OP, that sounds like crap. If you checked out and were told it would only be $19.99 and then got charged more, you should go to the company and ask for your money back. At no point in the process did it indicate that you would be charged extra for shipping?

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you ever assume that shipping was included in the $19.99 price? If it truly did not show you the shipping cost until your confirmation email, I'd be pissed too - but I doubt a big company like that is going to just blindly charge you $13 without ever once informing you of the charge. They probably outlined the charge before you submitted your order.

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sparklehorse

@Brewmaster_Andy: I'm usually pretty good about checking out total prices and stuff when I'm checking out of an online store. I'll try to look into contacting their support for some sort of reimbursement. To all the other posters, I've been living abroad for the last 5 years and my American bank account doesn't have that much cash in it. Stupid, I know. Just letting others here know that this might happen to them if they want to use their services.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

We take great care to ensure long-lasting freshness with each shipped order. Each step of the delivery process is carefully examined to make sure we’re delivering the highest quality flowers at a great value.

We calculate the appropriate shipping charges based on a number of factors, including time of year, delivery location, desired delivery date, product selection and other factors.

The amounts below can be used as a general guide for delivery charges. Once we have all of the delivery information, we’ll calculate the actual charges and display them on the final page of the checkout process, so that you can fully review them before submitting your order.

Shipping Charges

Standard Delivery:From $12.99 to $39.99
Care & Handling:$2.99
Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I FUCKED UP.

Temg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hear that happened to you. It really sucks. If possible, see if you can find some way through their purchase process (Maybe initiate another order, but not complete it?) and see if they never mention that added charge. If so then you got something to complain to the BBB or whatever equivalent to where you are shipping.

The proflowers ad on the bombcast just makes me shake my head. I strongly recommend avoiding them and other online flower sites. You are paying for convenience over quality [Some great examples: http://consumerist.com/tag/proflowers/]. They don't use any special flowers in their arrangements. They normally contract with a local flower shop and then negotiate for the flowers.

More from consumerist:

... the problems that wire services cause for customers and florists alike.

What problems are those? An advertised deal for a dozen roses for $50 from a wire service, say, will only earn the local florist about $27. Sometimes florists end up losing money on orders. “The site will tack on a $10 or $15 ‘service fee,’ which you would think goes for delivery,” Semock explained. “That goes right in [the wire service’s] pocket. The florist doesn’t see any of that… You’re paying $20 or more just to place your order online.”

In general I'd recommend find a picture of an arrangement you love, then email that or take it to your local flower shop. They likely will be able to put it together cheaper than what the online flower services can provide. It has worked whenever I have wanted to buy a really nice bouquet (when I am not lazy and get one pre-made form the local supermarket that is honestly just as good)

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Yo pup?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Sorry to hear this happened to you, that is some real bullshit right there. But seriously, why would you spend nearly all of your money on something as transient as flowers?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@hollitz said:

Yo pup?

We edit thread titles that contain expletives. Check the rules ;)

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I mean I had problems with them too, but it was the fact that they lost my relatively costly flower shipment, so they weren't there the day I (very carefully) planned for them to be. Additionally, the recipient ended up getting two of the same thing, except one of them was completely dead. At least they refunded the shipping for all of that, but I don't think I'll be using them again.

@hollitz said:

Yo pup?

Ha, I think a mod cleaned up the language in the thread title.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just as an aside, my mom complained to me for getting her proflowers since it was a bit expensive with handling and actually turned out to bloom not as beautifully as getting them from a local florist. While 100 roses does seem nice, keep in mind that the quality may not be fantastic since the flowers were not in bloom at the time they ship it to you.

In other words, if you can afford it and the person lives local to you, just go to a florist, they'll probably have a nice arrangement available for you.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

As a dude with 5 dollars in his bank account currently I feel for you, your fault or not.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yeah, they do tend to charge quite a bit for shipping & handling.

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: Honestly, it was a drunken mistake that I could have avoided.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I agree that supporting local businesses is good, my local florist is exorbitantly expensive.

Flowers are nice and all, but I can get good flowers from Kroger (that are still alive a week later) and a nice dinner date for less than the local florist.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravelle

Only a crazy person orders a hundred flowers.

As for the issue, you probably didn't look close enough or oversaw something when clicking "next" or something. It happens, also stop ordering and visit a local florist, you can have a chat with the folks, save some money on shipping and browse for the flowers you want.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@dudeglove: That's blocked in my country?! But... I'm in England?!?!

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

Only a crazy person orders a hundred flowers.

As for the issue, you probably didn't look close enough or oversaw something when clicking "next" or something. It happens, also stop ordering and visit a local florist, you can have a chat with the folks, save some money on shipping and browse for the flowers you want.

I'm a crazy person because I ordered them too! Figured screw it, let's do something stupid this month.

I also figured it was a given that the $19.99 price would be just the retail price of the flowers and the free vahhhz. Flower websites tend to charge you a shitload for shipping.

They clearly showed the shipping price when you're reviewing your order right before placing it. It's important to actually review your order before placing it, you know!

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So basically, be aware that there are shipping charges when ordering stuff, and don't be broke when you do so.

Words to live by.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers