US PSN: Borderlands on PS4 was $15 for Plus members [deal has now expired]

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

NOTE: This thread was originally made almost a year ago. As of today--April 5th, 2016--the game is on sale again. It was $30 when I first made this thread, and now it's down to $15. If you enjoy co-op multiplayer, I can think of no better value than this game. The Handsome Collection on PS4 has also been updated to included a much smoother framerate, fully customizable controls, and even a FOV slider.

This is probably my favorite video game of the previous console generation, and I suggest that you buy it. Original thread follows:

----

So Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is part of the PSN sci-fi flash sale that's going on now. With well over 100 hours of gameplay across two games and many expansions, it's a pretty nice deal. And if you didn't know, the frame rate issues with the pre-sequel were thankfully patched a while ago.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/17/flash-sale-now-live-sci-fi-deals/

For anyone just getting started with the game and its add-ons, I'd recommend using this guide to exploring the DLC:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/31o97v/how_do_i_play_the_dlc_on_the_handsome_collection/

In Borderlands 2, there are 4 main campaign DLC's. These all contain new areas with a few story missions and some sidequests:

Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty: Starting area 'Oasis'. Seperate campaign from the main game, no real spoilers for the main game story.

Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage: Starting area 'Badass crater of badassitude'. Again, seperate campaign from the main game, no real spoilers for the main game story.

Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt: Starting area 'Hunter's Grotto'. Fairly small campaign, but with a decent amount of sidequests. Contains some spoilers for the main game so you should definately complete the main game before starting this one.

Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep: Starting area 'Unassuming docks'. Pretty big campaign (personal favorite) with BIG spoilers for the main game.

Next for Borderlands 2 are the Headhunter packs. These are all fairly short but feature a boss at the end that can be farmed over and over again for some decent loot:

T.K. Baha's Bloody Harvest: Starting area 'Hallowed Hallow'. Halloween HH pack.

The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler: Starting area 'Gluttony Gulch'. Thanksgiving HH pack.

How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day: Starting area 'Marcus's Mercenary shop'. Christmas HH pack.

Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre: Starting area 'Rotgut Distillery'. Valentine's HH pack.

Sir Hammerlock vs. the Son of Crawmerax: Starting area 'Wam Bam Island'. This HH pack contains a lot of references to BL1 that you probably won't understand if you haven't played BL1, but it's fun to play nonetheless and features a cool boss at the end.

Other DLC:

Creature Slaughter Dome: You've probably ran into this without knowing it was DLC, but it's the arena found in the Wildlife exploitation preserve. It was DLC for the original BL2 so I thought I'd mention it.

Digistruct Peak Challenge: Starting area 'Digistruct Peak'. An area with a 'challenge' to beat the peak without dying. This area is mostly used to increase your level after you reach level 72. When you complete the course at level 72, you get to overpower level 1. You then restart the game at overpower level 1, complete the course (which gets slightly harder), and unlock overpower level 2. This keeps going untill overpower level 8, which essentially gives you level 80 equipment, although your character (skill points, etc.) will still be as if you were level 72.

As for TPS, the list of DLC is (still) fairly short. As far as I know there's only 2 DLC area's, which are:

The Holodome (similar to Creature Slaughter Dome)

Deck 13½: Starting location for the new Claptrap campaign DLC. Haven't played it yet so I can't tell you much about this one but I'm assuming it contains spoilers for the main game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

It's embarrassing that even post-patch the Pre-Sequel still has some areas where the framerate dips pretty haphazardly, primarily cordoned to the later environments like the Hub of Heroism. Which is only made out to be all the more down to incompetence when you consider that BL2 is a solid 60 throughout. I know that they were each ported by a separate company (Iron Galaxy doing BL2; Amature doing Pre-Sequel), which speaks to how they don't share a parity between each other.

Still, that's a real good price all the same if anyone hasn't played either game, let alone both. That Claptastic Voyage DLC is without a doubt some of the best (and funniest) content across all of Borderlands.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hopefully the UK store gets a similar price drop soon. I may bite at £30.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own 1&2 on PC, but I'm still tempted.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

If I can get my friend to buy this then I'm totally gonna jump on this deal. $30 seems like a steal for that much game.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is only 15 dollars this week. If you haven't played the DLC or the pre-sequel, you should absolutely buy this. If you've never played Borderlands, we're talking Skyrim levels of content and value, here.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

What if you are of the thought that the first borderlands is the best borderlands and the one whom you would want to play

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This game is only 15 dollars this week. If you haven't played the DLC or the pre-sequel, you should absolutely buy this. If you've never played Borderlands, we're talking Skyrim levels of content and value, here.

So it's the same cave over and over again?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

What if you are of the thought that the first borderlands is the best borderlands and the one whom you would want to play

Then I would say that you're objectively wrong. Subjectively speaking, of course. You're completely factually incorrect, according to my personal opinion. I hope you can learn to accept that. But yeah, the first Borderlands was pretty good.

@humanity said:
@spaceinsomniac said:

So it's the same cave over and over again?

For anyone who might take your jab at Skyrim seriously, no. Borderlands is not limited in its variety. It actually has a wide variety of variety.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend and I bought it about a year ago to play some online coop together, and it is easily one of the best experiences I've had on the PS4. Great fun, and indeed a boatload of content. We only recently beat the main game and have just started the first of four dlcs. And then we still have the Pre-Sequel left.

If you are in the market for a lot of coop fun, look no further.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsw said:

A friend and I bought it about a year ago to play some online coop together, and it is easily one of the best experiences I've had on the PS4. Great fun, and indeed a boatload of content. We only recently beat the main game and have just started the first of four dlcs. And then we still have the Pre-Sequel left.

If you are in the market for a lot of coop fun, look no further.

Cool. Be sure to use the DLC progression guide I posted in the first post. That way, you can play them in the proper order of their release. The first three average about five hours each, the forth is about eight hours, and the five headhunter DLC packs are about an hour each. Then you have the DLC for the pre-sequel, which is about six hours.

That's around 30 hours in DLC alone. Just look at the crazy completion times on this thing.

So much content, and all of it co-op. It's crazy that no one ever tried to make a true Borderlands competitor just yet.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Get on it duders!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gah, I've gone so over-budget on games recently... but I've wanted this collection for a good while now...

What do!?

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Thanks, that's indeed what we're doing. I didn't know there were headhunter packs as well. So much content. $15 for the entire collection is even worse than a steal. It's like kicking the devs in the nuts before stealing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: In all seriousness I thought Borderlands 2 was an excellent game with a ton of variety. The first game failed to hold my attention somehow. I think the sequels more vibrant setting helped keep me playing - I never tried anything past BL2 though.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just don't think I'm ready to buy those games again. I actually barely played tps.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

Gah, I've gone so over-budget on games recently... but I've wanted this collection for a good while now...

What do!?

BUY IT NOW!

...If you think you should and all. Seriously, if you know you won't get around to playing it for a while because of a massive backlog or whatever, then I'd skip it. If you'll play it, it's definitely worth buying for that price, especially if there's a lot of content that you haven't played, and even more so if you have a friend to play the game with.

Then again--if you're pressed for cash right now--Amazon is selling the disc version for only five dollars more, so it's not like you'll never find a good price for it again. I think the question should really come down to if you want to own it digitally or on disc, because the digital price might be much higher for a while after this sale ends.

@humanity said:

@spaceinsomniac: In all seriousness I thought Borderlands 2 was an excellent game with a ton of variety. The first game failed to hold my attention somehow. I think the sequels more vibrant setting helped keep me playing - I never tried anything past BL2 though.

If you never played the BL2 DLC, you should buy this right now. That 4th DLC is some of my favorite add-on content for any game. Borderlands mixed with a pretend D&D type game was a great idea, and the campaign for that one DLC is longer than many full games. Close to nine hours, including sub-quests, according to How Long to Beat.

The pre-sequel is pretty good as well, even if it's not quite up to a BL2 level of quality. The jetpacks are really fun, though, to the point that you will miss using them in the few areas of the game that don't have moon gravity. You also can play as Claptrap or Handsome Jack, so what's not to like?

I still haven't played the pre-sequel DLC yet, so I can't comment on that one personally, but I've heard good things.

@bsw said:

@spaceinsomniac: Thanks, that's indeed what we're doing. I didn't know there were headhunter packs as well. So much content. $15 for the entire collection is even worse than a steal. It's like kicking the devs in the nuts before stealing.

I'd say they deserve it, after Aliens: Colonial Marines. :)

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By gkhan

@spaceinsomniac: I played Borderlands 1 and 2 (though not the DLC), and if I bought this it would be only for playing the pre-sequel solo (I'd really like to play the Tiny Tina D&D dlc, but I'm probably not gonna). Is it still worth it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: I never tried the D&D focused DLC because I dislike it when video games lean on that old trope of putting retro gaming humor into their modern setting. I don't find it particularly funny or engaging. Maybe it's because I never got into classic D&D myself when I was younger, so for the most part the humor falls completely flat for me and feels corny. I get that most devs are people of that generation but I think we can poke fun at more modern tropes instead of falling back on the good ol' 12 sided dice jokes and whatnot. Also while I don't hate Tiny Tina with the passion of a hundred suns like some people do, I can't say that I particularly like her either. I'm in the third weirdo camp that liked Handsome Jack.

These look like good deals but I think at this point I'm fine with waiting for a next generation Borderlands rather than going back to the Pre-Sequel or older DLC. If they make a really great Borderlands 3 that is just as colorful and varied as Borderlands 2 then I'm on board. Maybe a slight tonal shift would be appreciated but they kind of built those games on the back of that specific type of humor and it would be weird to change that now.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@gkhan said:

@spaceinsomniac: I played Borderlands 1 and 2 (though not the DLC), and if I bought this it would be only for playing the pre-sequel solo (I'd really like to play the Tiny Tina D&D dlc, but I'm probably not gonna). Is it still worth it?

Did you play Borderlands 2 on PS3? If so, you can take your characters into the PS4 version, which would make it easy to play whatever BL2 DLC you wanted. If not, I'd still say it's worth playing through BL2 again, if you haven't played any of that game's DLC. If you didn't see where I said so earlier, there's about 25 hours of Borderlands 2 DLC included here.

As for the pre-sequel, it's basically what old PC gamers used to refer to as a total conversion. It adds new player characters, weapons types, enemies, locations and features, but it doesn't ever feel like a full sequel or anything. It feels like a bunch of new content for an existing game, really. It's definitely worth 15 dollars, but the real question is if it's worth playing solo and worth playing despite your possible backlog. I'd say so, but Borderlands is still undeniably better in co-op. I've certainly played a bunch of both games by myself, though. Still fun, just not ideal.

@humanity said:

@spaceinsomniac: I never tried the D&D focused DLC because I dislike it when video games lean on that old trope of putting retro gaming humor into their modern setting. I don't find it particularly funny or engaging. Maybe it's because I never got into classic D&D myself when I was younger, so for the most part the humor falls completely flat for me and feels corny. I get that most devs are people of that generation but I think we can poke fun at more modern tropes instead of falling back on the good ol' 12 sided dice jokes and whatnot. Also while I don't hate Tiny Tina with the passion of a hundred suns like some people do, I can't say that I particularly like her either. I'm in the third weirdo camp that liked Handsome Jack.

These look like good deals but I think at this point I'm fine with waiting for a next generation Borderlands rather than going back to the Pre-Sequel or older DLC. If they make a really great Borderlands 3 that is just as colorful and varied as Borderlands 2 then I'm on board. Maybe a slight tonal shift would be appreciated but they kind of built those games on the back of that specific type of humor and it would be weird to change that now.

I never played D&D either, but I still felt the humor and setting was well done. Also, if you didn't already know, the entire pre-sequel is centered around Handsome Jack, and how he became the "hero" that he is today. You can even play as his clone. Still, if you don't feel any desire to play more Borderlands, then I wouldn't suggest you go against that feeling.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: @gkhan:

As a reminder:

If you want over 100 hours of sweet first-person shooter co-op looter action for only 15 dollars, you have less than 24 hours to go.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spaceinsomniac: Haha, forgot to tell you that I bought it last night. Burning through the early parts of BL2 right now. (so much more fun when it's not running at 20 FPS on my lappy)

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I purchased it the other day (along with a few other games). Hell of a deal. I look forwards to installing and playing it if I ever play a game that isn't Overwatch again.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

@spaceinsomniac: Haha, forgot to tell you that I bought it last night. Burning through the early parts of BL2 right now. (so much more fun when it's not running at 20 FPS on my lappy)

Yeah, playing this at 60 fps and in 1080p is a night and day difference between this and the previous gen console versions.

Anyhow, last chance people. When the store updates today, this opportunity will be gone.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Just an FYI, if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can also get a physical copy today for about $16, though that deal ends in a few more hours as well (about two hours and 18 minutes as of this writing)

Yokijirou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just loaded the Handsome Collection and the ads for Borderlands 3 are hilarious. It’s just odd to see an old game menu with pre-order now! For the next game in it. This is my first time seeing it but have there been any other games retrofitted with advertisements for the upcoming game?