Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Ok so I've watched a bunch of reviews and stuff like that but I'm wondering what people are thinking of this game, specifically how is it compared to the other two?

Is it just more Borderlands 2 like it seems a lot of people are saying or is that an assumption based on the UI being the same? Loved the 1st game, couldn't be bothered with the 2nd. Hoping this brings something to hook me back in.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm wondering this myself, but mostly just want to see the quick look with a bored Jeff. It's too bad its on the old consoles, as I don't ever want to plug those things in again.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I forgot this existed until I went to pick up The Evil Within and realized out of a long line of people I was only one of three people not there to pick up BL: The Pre-Sequel. I mean I hope it's good but I felt like BL2 was enough BL for me for awhile.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm interested to know as well. When the Borderlands 2 reviews were all basically "It's more Borderlands" none of them mentioned how the level design and mission structure made it a worse Borderlands. So all these reviews that are saying "Yep, more Borderlands" make me want to know if it's more Borderlands or more Borderlands 2.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying it so far (on PC). The different gravity changes the feel more than I was expecting... buzzwords like "oldschool!" and "verticality!" Laser weapons are dope, dialogue is better imo (your character actually seems like a character!?), double jumps/butt slams... I'm into it.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By splodge

Having a lot of fun with it so far (PC). I am a couple of hours in, gonna play some more later. Jump pads are fantastic, and the jetpack kind of boosts you around the place. I spend most of my time jumping and boosting everywhere, which has unfortunately led to some pretty funny suicides when I got a bit too crazy with it. Have a new laser type weapon that is pretty cool. All in all I think its gonna be fun from what I have played so far.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PimblyCharles

I'm interested to know as well. When the Borderlands 2 reviews were all basically "It's more Borderlands" none of them mentioned how the level design and mission structure made it a worse Borderlands. So all these reviews that are saying "Yep, more Borderlands" make me want to know if it's more Borderlands or more Borderlands 2.

It's more Borderlands 2 so far. It feels incredibly familiar. Only a few hours in so far, but am finding myself bored already. Then again, this is coming from someone who put in well over 100 hours into Borderlands 2, so it's not surprising I'm bored already. The story and new mechanics are the only thing keeping me going. Hopefully the worlds open up a bit more soon, and the enemy types variate more.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm only about an hour and half in, but I'm enjoying it. Everything definitely feels very familiar, but it feels like a faster start than BL2 - the first skill point comes at level 2 (maybe 3?) instead of level 5, and the new mechanics (low gravity, oxygen) are introduced fairly early on. As mentioned above, the jump pads and "verticality" are a pretty cool addition. I also like how they're doing the story-telling (minor spoilers, I guess?): Instead of Marcus telling a story about the vault hunters, the story is told by one of the characters as they're being interrogated by Lilith and the gang. Similar to the Tiny Tina DLC from BL2, Brick and Mordecai chime in from time to time with their reaction to the story that's being told, e.g., "Jack did that? Maybe he wasn't as much of an asshole as I thought."

And so far (again, only 90 minutes in) I haven't noticed a ton of BL2 style humor. Then again, the BL2 stuff never really bothered me. I probably put 200+ hours into that game, and I loved every second of it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mosespippy said:

It's more Borderlands 2 so far. It feels incredibly familiar. Only a few hours in so far, but am finding myself bored already. Then again, this is coming from someone who put in well over 100 hours into Borderlands 2, so it's not surprising I'm bored already. The story and new mechanics are the only thing keeping me going. Hopefully the worlds open up a bit more soon, and the enemy types variate more.

I definitely played over 100 hours of Borderlands 2 as well. I ended up with two level 50 Sirens. Some of my problems with it was that your backpack could hold half as much as in Borderlands, and same for the bank, so you needed even more mules, and the opening was just so incredibly long and boring. This game not being by Gearbox is what gave me hope that it would be good. It's nice to hear that the dialogue is better. Maybe I'll just go play the DLC for the original, since I have it but never played half of it. I bet I'll end up playing it eventually, but probably not now.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, there's no Siren-like class in Pre-Sequel. I was a Siren duder too. I'd personally go back and play the Borderlands 2 DLC you haven't played yet with your leveled up SIrens. The worst part of Pre-Sequel so far is that you start from scratch and have to put in a lot of time and work into getting decent weapons and skills. I know that's part of the fun for new comers, but for Borderlands Veterans, it's tedious. Hope this helps.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VannaDwight

I am going to be streaming it at 6:00pm EST on my Twitch page if any duders want to come watch. I'll answer chat questions if people ask.

Anyone from the community can join me as well. Starting fresh at 6:00

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, there's no Siren-like class in Pre-Sequel. I was a Siren duder too. I'd personally go back and play the Borderlands 2 DLC you haven't played yet with your leveled up SIrens. The worst part of Pre-Sequel so far is that you start from scratch and have to put in a lot of time and work into getting decent weapons and skills. I know that's part of the fun for new comers, but for Borderlands Veterans, it's tedious. Hope this helps.

Athena has a tree that is probably as close to a siren as we're gonna get. It's about elemental stuff.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ares42

It's exactly what's on the package, Borderlands 2 made by a less experienced developer. That's not to say they don't get close, but it's very clear that it's not an attempt to innovate, it's an attempt to recreate.

Personally I've found the story and writing of the characters to be a bit more bland. The character mechanics are also lacking some "edge". I'd been mulling about it for a little while but it became very clear to me when watching a stream of some people new to Borderlands yesterday. None of the characters actually have any roles anymore. They've taken it a bit too far where the only defining thing about them is their action skill and whatever other gimmicky semi-skills they've put in the skilltrees.

Still, I've been enjoying it so far, but I also really love Borderlands. I'd say it's really only for people that enjoyed Borderlands 2, played all it's DLC and is looking for even more.

Edit: One thing I will add, I've played the game for 10+ hours and I have no idea who or what the main villain is or why I should care. It's sorta like the first Borderlands all over again. I'm doing the tasks handed to me as they come, but the overall story is completely non-existant so far.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly after playing for about 7 hours i would say its really good and because of the changes they have made its probably going to be my fave borderlands game.the game feels alot faster,the added element and laser weapons are great additions,i think the world and the levels in this game are the best in the series,there is alot more chests to open(which was one of the things i hated about bl2)and the grinder adds alot to the loot system.i think the story in this game so far is the best and most interesting of the 3 games.the biggest problem i had with borderlands 2 was the balance of the game being bad once you got to the higher difficultys,so the biggest thing to me is that this is the best balanced borderlands so far.its the perfect balance between borderlands 1 and borderlands 2,the loot you get lasts longer than bl2 but doesnt last forever like some loot in bl1 did,the enemys dont take buttloads of damage like bl2 but they also dont die in 3 seconds like in bl1.if the dlc for this game is just as amazing as the previous two games dlc,this will easily be the best game in the series and will more than likely be my goty unless dragon age 3 is amazing.which it very well could be.TLDR probably the best game in the series.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think low grav makes all of the gunplay way more fun, and the oxygen mechanic isn't nearly as annoying in practice as something like that sounded. I love that my character reacts to the dialogue now, even if they're still not really much of a presence. Only thing that's really been driving me nuts is that melee feels like I'm swinging through sludge.

Way into it, all in all.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's more Borderlands. There are a few tweaks, but nothing major. The oxygen stuff is interesting, but I'm not fighting dudes hard enough yet for it to matter. Your oxygen pack has stats attached to it, such as bonus damage when you're jumping, bonus stats when you're in a vacuum, etc. The ground slam is useful (and can be upgraded with new O2 tanks), and double jump is nice. You're never really starving for O2 unless you're doing a lot of double jumps or ground slams. Unless I'm really not paying attention, it never dips below 50%.

You can shoot the space helmet off dudes and watch them suffocate (you get badass rank for it).

None of the new stuff is game-changing (at the early parts of the game that I'm in). It's more Borderlands. The shooting feels the same, the writing is still mediocre (but better than the first two), numbers fly off dudes and you get loot. I'm having fun so far.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Luca717

so far its not bad, i wasn't as into it as when i started borderlands 2, i think thats just because the whole look of it was different from the first. The game really feels different with the oz tanks and stuff but its fun, and the lazer guns are cool. i'm only about level 7 so far. The only thing i noticed that has been bugging me is that i have it on a 1440p monitor with everything on the highest and it runs great on my rig, but when you are looking at the skill select screen its all nice and crisp but when looking at specs of something thats just a pick up it looks really bad, like its a straight port from the ps3. Its definitely not as nice of a looking game then i was expecting, it looks console-ish in some respects and the environments and colours bland, where i still remember starting off 2 and when i was at the beginingg and first got to the area with those bat things that can go invisible, the colours and everything was so nice and bright and vidid. idk, just more borderlands i guess but well see how it pans out

lane_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lane_

Anyone know if they fixed some of the core problems of the series?

1. Enemies not scaling if you do side missions. If you do the side missions, you level up but the enemies or the missions don't. Many of the side missions become trivial and sometimes even the main mission. And the loot from these low level enemies have no use at all.

2. Repetitive missions. Usually fetch quests or "go there, kill that and come back".

3. Running through same areas oh-so-very-many-times. You are going to see the same places so many times you get sick of them. This is probably partly due how side missions unlock.

4. Unskippable cut scenes and dialogue. These bring your questing and grinding to a halt which is pretty bad for a loot based game that you are supposed to play through multiple times with multiple characters.

Some of these escalate each other but playing both earlier games, I find that these are what I remember from those games. And my meaning isn't bash the game, I just wish they would fix these for even better gameplay experience.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3's not a problem as you can usually stack objectives and get it done in chunks. And neither is the difficulty scaling. When you give your mission an overall difficulty relative to the character's level, it lets you plan what to tackle next.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lane_: 1, 2 and 3 is still there (not sure about 4). But I would argue at least 1 and 3 are intentional and mostly just a matter of taste.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Alright some awesome ground level feedback, I have now got and played a fair bit of this game and glad I did, if I'd only listened to Jeffs opinions on the bombcast I would of skipped this tbh. Usually I'm kinda 50/50 with Jeff but his opinion of the 1st Borderlands was so on par with mine I was ready to dismiss it, and apart from the fact that I now can't not notice australian accents I kinda disagree with the lack of enthusiasm.

So I like the way it looks, and to echo what's already been said here it's nothing especially new, but the level design, setting and I guess the skyboxes (to be frank) look awesome. It feels tighter than 2, a short awesome looking commute vs a long barren looking commute is, I believe, the reason I like this much more than 2. That may change ofc but the whole luggish moon based movement animation stuff doesn't bother me, Its kinda cool. Anyway I have a bunch of opinions but there are other threads for those.

All in all, cool game so far.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@donchipotle: So, I've seen you playing this on PS3. How's the framerate holding up for you? Have you also been playing on your own or with friends? I ask the second part because the framerate for BL2 would collapse whenever I would play online for some reason... I'll probably wait till they inevitably release its GOTY edition on PS4/XB1, but still... my impatience may get the better of me.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By donchipotle

@yummylee said:

@donchipotle: So, I've seen you playing this on PS3. How's the framerate holding up for you? Have you also been playing on your own or with friends? I ask the second part because the framerate for BL2 would collapse whenever I would play online for some reason... I'll probably wait till they inevitably release its GOTY edition on PS4/XB1, but still... my impatience may get the better of me.

I've been playing mostly on my own (which is real silly since I'm using Athena's support/shield tree) but with my session set to public. I get some random people sometimes which has been nice. As far as framerate goes, it's been fairly stable. I've not had any significant drops even when there are explosions and elemental stuff going off all at once. I haven't had a full four people rolling with me though.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bybeach

I would be interested but I just got near done with Borderlands and suddenly burned out. Hopefully someday after it comes to pc, if it at least holds it's own.....

edit-Is on pc, good.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee said:

I've been playing mostly on my own (which is real silly since I'm using Athena's support/shield tree) but with my session set to public. I get some random people sometimes which has been nice. As far as framerate goes, it's been fairly stable. I've not had any significant drops even when there are explosions and elemental stuff going off all at once. I haven't had a full four people rolling with me though.

Alritey, cheers for the info!