• 123 results
#1 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

What makes Brad so.. Brad? As one of my favorite members of the Giant Bomb crew (which I'd say about all of them) Brad seems to be the most mysterious. So I guess I need to dig deeper into what I like about Brad.

Brad is vulgar which could be a bad thing. But something about Brad makes it cute. His recent "suck a **** monsters" comment during Crawl is a good example of this. Would have been a bit mean for someone else to do it but, It's just such a Brad thing to do. He also seems to be the most competitive of the crew. Though Jeff is a very close second. Whenever they play multiplayer games Brad lights up. Always fun to watch Brad vs Jeff which is what things usually boil down to. Sometimes I wish they had a feature where Jeff and Brad just go at each other in multiplayer games. That Joust game would probably be fun to watch them play.

Brad seems to be the one everyone bullies though. Why do people not like Brad? What are some more things that make Brad so cool. Let's discuss some hot Brad on Brad action tonight!

#2 Posted by Encephalon (1312 posts) -

I was expecting something way nastier when I entered this thread, so good job defying my expectations. But I'm sure someone will meet them with aplomb soon enough.

Anyway, I remember that Jeff theorized on a podcast once that Brad used to be way more energetic, but then he ate a truly gigantic holiday dinner which transformed him into present-day Sleepy Brad. That's my canon.

#3 Posted by slyspider (1340 posts) -

People don't like Brad or Patrick for some reason, but hey people get to have opinions I guess. I love 'em both! Brad is from the deep south like me and down here, there ain't much to do besides be sleepy. A ride horses. And eat terrible food, terrible for you at least.

#4 Edited by Alyssia (340 posts) -

I just found Sleepy Brad tumblr. That needs to be updated! Also can someone explain what this picture is from?

]http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/8/88760/2530819-bradface.png

#5 Edited by MEATBALL (3402 posts) -

Brad is awesome. Always fun to listen to him yell random syllables or expletives at tough games (games that, contrary to the meme, he is actually pretty good at :D ). ^_^ He also seems to have eased off a bit on that DotA obsession of late, which I'm personally glad to see. :P

Also, Brad fought hard for Skyrim as 2011's Game of the Year which I was happy to see. Skyrim was awesome. :D

#6 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

Brad = Hesitance at every step

Vinny = Reckless abandon

Together, they are two ends of a spectrum.

#7 Edited by wemibelec90 (1806 posts) -

He's a terrific writer and is pretty good at saying what he wants to say about various games. I like Brad a lot, except when he's playing games. At that point, he becomes intolerable. I have never seen a person be so unwilling to experiment, so flinching in the face of conflict, so indecisive when it comes to playing games. When you compare it to Vinny's "Well, let's just try this and see what happens" style, I absolutely can't stand it.

#8 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

I missed Brad on UPF this week :( Mostly why I wanted to talk about him. But I guess when you gotta pierce your genitals even UPF can wait.

#9 Posted by BigJeffrey (5147 posts) -

#10 Posted by Phili151 (190 posts) -

Probably DOTA. It messes with people and is probably best avoided. It's too late for Brad though.

#11 Edited by MEATBALL (3402 posts) -

Man, that was so fantastic. Poor sick brad.

#12 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

The only problem I have with his Dota playing is that I think he should be playing League of Legends instead. I wish he'd do a weekly or monthly Dota podcast since everyone else seems to have their own podcast lately.

#13 Edited by Milkman (17201 posts) -

#14 Edited by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

Brad's a pretty boy. That's my answer to all of the above questions (why is he so likable/why do people hate him).

P.S. I also love brad.

#15 Posted by Phili151 (190 posts) -

@jennibelle: I've never played either. Ii'm too scared to, people get obsessive about those games.

#16 Edited by Marokai (3115 posts) -

I think what makes Brad endearing is just that he's the total, unabashed nerd of the group, and all that that entails. He's not great at public speaking, he's not the best at really arguing any kind of point, and he's seemingly unaware of how the words coming out of his mouth are taken much of the time. Unfortunately this occasionally doubles as the reason why he can be occasionally frustrating. He is, at least, not as bad at games as people make him out to be.

#17 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@marokai: What started the Brad is bad at games thing? Like at what point was he playing something badly that made everyone think this?

#18 Posted by JJWeatherman (14564 posts) -

#19 Edited by stryker1121 (1569 posts) -

I understand why people get frustrated with Brad..when playing Demon's Souls he balked at seemingly every step. He barely seemed to be enjoying himself. Vinny's too much in the other direction for my tastes. He's all 'Blargh what duz this button do' as he rolls off a cliff. Brad and Vinny together on streams are great, though..excellent chemistry and Vinny's outre personality gets reigned in.

#20 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6347 posts) -

@jennibelle: Moved this to the Bradley Zanzibar Shoemaker forum. Please try to keep new topics in an area appropriate to its subject matter.

Rumor has it Brad once beat Battletoads using only his left big toe. Fact or not, it inspires a great deal of jealous rage amongst the Giant Bomb dedicated.

#21 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@phili151: The only problem is they are super competitive games. So if your the type of person that can't handle losing, you probably shouldn't be playing them. There's also a lot of little kids on the internet that think saying mean things is cool. Combine that with the highly skilled based competitive gameplay and you have a very toxic soup. However both games have a mute button. Don't react to idiots and you'll have a great time. Though I must admit... Losing hurts sometimes.

#22 Edited by Slag (4735 posts) -

# @jennibelle: He seems like a legitimately a nice dude. The few times I've messaged him he has been super friendly when he really didn't have to be.

fwiw I suspect many of us might see something of ourselves in him which makes him relatable (or maybe an uncomfortable mirror if you don't like yourself I guess). I know for me at least, he seems the most similar to me in terms of personality. He is the everyman of Giant Bomb.

besides he went from this

to this

#23 Posted by ch3burashka (5180 posts) -

Brad is... well... hm.

Let me get back to you on that.

#24 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -

@marokai: What started the Brad is bad at games thing? Like at what point was he playing something badly that made everyone think this?

Personally Brad rocks cause he's himself.

#25 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@slag: Where can I watch that entire breaking bad series? That looks amazing and high energy. Also I think I dozed off twice listening to young bearded Brad talk about resident evil outbreak... Awful

#26 Posted by Slag (4735 posts) -

@jennibelle:

That outtake was actually from the big live live show 2012. The annual fundraiser they used to do.

That was easily the best part, but it was a fantastic payoff for the what 3+ hour show?

#27 Posted by NeoAthanasius (78 posts) -

I think Brad is a really nice guy. I only wish he didn't curse quite so much. Pretty much any content with Brad in it can't be watched when my son is awake. It has been fun to watch his gaming obsessions progress over the years. I sometimes miss Starcraft obsessed Brad a bit though.

#28 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@slag: Is that archived? I hope they do a 24 hour stream again this year...

#29 Posted by Milkman (17201 posts) -

@slag said:

@jennibelle:

That was easily the best part, but it was a fantastic payoff for the what 3+ hour show?

Closer to 9 hours, actually.

#30 Posted by Milkman (17201 posts) -

@slag: Is that archived? I hope they do a 24 hour stream again this year...

#31 Edited by LiquidPrince (16119 posts) -

Anyone who doesn't like Brad can suck a giant monster ****. He's an awesome dude.

#32 Posted by Slag (4735 posts) -

@milkman said:

@slag said:

@jennibelle:

Closer to 9 hours, actually.

holy crap you're right, man I forgot how long those things used to be.

#33 Edited by Tajasaurus (938 posts) -

is brad even real?

#34 Posted by EveretteScott (1541 posts) -

He doesn't pay attention to the game itself most of the time and misses key things easily. Even when the game is telling it to him right on the screen. He pays more attention to what he is doing instead which leads to a lot of frustration when watching him play as he will then get miffed at the game for not telling him when in fact it did.

That being said. That is nothing against him as a person, I just get that is why people say "brad sucks at games".

#35 Posted by erhard (436 posts) -

Whenever he rubs his neck it feels like he's rubbing mine, too.

#36 Posted by l3roken (116 posts) -

@slag: Resident Evil Brad seems like someone told him he speaks in monotone and he got pissed and decided to go all out in spite of them....because that monotone is too thick to be accidental. Unless it is the southern drawl cutting in, which I have very little experience with.

#37 Posted by Strife777 (1611 posts) -

It's his angelic voice. It soothes you into a deep sleep. He wants you to be as sleepy as he always is.

Basically, Brad is Morpheus. Yes, that one.

#38 Edited by Itwastuesday (981 posts) -

i remember one time in a comments to a demons souls video someone said (paraphrasing) "vinny is an italian that plays with passion. brad is a mathematical robot that malfunctions sometimes."

#39 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@l3roken: It's quite possibly one of the most awful things I ever watched :( Did someone tranquilized him before hand?

#40 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@milkman: Guess I know what I'll be doing for the next 8 hours instead of sleeping. Why didn't it make it on the site?

#41 Posted by Milkman (17201 posts) -

@jennibelle: It's up on the site, it's just divided into like 5 parts. The second Big Live Live Show is on the site too but it looks like the first one is missing.

#42 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -

@erhard said:

He's rubbing all our necks.

#43 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@erhard said:

He's rubbing all our necks.

He's rubbing one out on our necks.

#44 Posted by Humanity (9869 posts) -
@aegon said:

Brad = Hesitance at every step

Vinny = Reckless abandon

Together, they are two ends of a spectrum.

Like.. ying and yang.. ?

#45 Posted by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

Always #teambrad. Always.

#46 Posted by kidman (472 posts) -

Brad seems to be the one everyone bullies though. Why do people not like Brad? What are some more things that make Brad so cool. Let's discuss some hot Brad on Brad action tonight!

That would be Patrick, especially recently with the whole justice warrior or whatever.

I like Brad, but way less than other dudes - he's simply too... mellow/well thought out for my taste and very rarely funny (to be fair almost anyone is next to Vinny and Jeff). I'm not a huge fan of his playing style when it comes to more action'y games. I do appreciate his expertise on DOTA or Starcraft even though I have not played a single games in either. He's alright.

#47 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

I was just watching the I Love Mondays under the video tab on Brads page and they were talking about Team Brad tshirts. What happened?

#48 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

@kidman: What I meant was, I see Brad get bullied more by other members of the giant bomb crew.

#49 Posted by Christoffer (1898 posts) -

Strangely enough I like Brad a lot when he's guesting other podcasts and shows. But around the GB crew he seems a bit too comfortable. This whole sleepy Brad thing gets on my nerve. As well as the sudden mic clipping shouts. From a content perspective, it's not really my thing.

But he's one of the better writers and, as I said, when he's enthusiastic and has his head in the conversation, he's phenomenal.

#50 Posted by kidman (472 posts) -

@jennibelle: Oh yeah, you're right. I think it's he somehow feels like a way better target for that as he doesn't have good comebacks as far as I can tell.