• 96 results
#1 Posted by indieslaw (378 posts) -

i mean, right?

#2 Posted by JoshC (19 posts) -

It's definitely up there with the Kingdom Hearts games in terms of awful names.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12307 posts) -

It's pretty awful; the name Divine Divinity always makes me laugh though.

#4 Posted by Demmetje (203 posts) -

Volition could learn something from these people!

#5 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Yeah it's terrible but the game looks pretty good.

#6 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

It's gotta be a bad translation right?

#7 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1596 posts) -

It's kind of so bad, it's good? I think? Maybe?

#8 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

It's tied with Dream Drop Distance.

#9 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

I sorta like it. Has a charm to it.

#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

It's pretty awful; the name Divine Divinity always makes me laugh though.

That name makes sense because Divine and Divinity can be two wholly disparate words in terms of meaning and inference.

#11 Posted by Ksaw (349 posts) -

And at the same time, the best name ever.

#12 Posted by AssInAss (2717 posts) -

Infinite Undiscovery

#13 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#14 Posted by Jolt92 (1569 posts) -

It's original at least.

#15 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

There have been far, far worse. Heck, "Final Fantasy"? The name's only beloved because the games have been freakin brilliant and fun. If Bravely Default is quite fun, people will learn to like the name simply by association.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (8165 posts) -

It's no F.3.A.R. or Thi4f

#17 Edited by Sogeman (875 posts) -

You obviously never heard of

Let's Try Bass Fishing: FISH ON NEXT

#18 Posted by Fudge91 (200 posts) -
#19 Posted by EXTomar (4922 posts) -

I highly doubt it is any good but I also doubt it is the worst.

#20 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -
#21 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

No, there are way worse names than this, I even kinda like this name.

#22 Edited by EXTomar (4922 posts) -

It should be noted that part of the reason for the name is that it is combat modes: You can order characters to take a "Brave" stance (go offensive) or "Default" stance (go defense). Characters generate offensive power in Default and spend that power in Brave. In general, the mechanic of a "tug-of-war" can work but it sounds like the flaw in the game is that battles are way to slow and boring where having a silly name isn't that bad compared to spending multiple rounds make a few attacks while the CPU does the same.

I'm not sure why where the "Flying Fairy" comes from though...

#23 Posted by shinboy630 (1174 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

There have been far, far worse. Heck, "Final Fantasy"? The name's only beloved because the games have been freakin brilliant and fun.

The first game was called Final Fantasy because if it did not sell well, Hironobu Sakaguchi would have quit making games, thus making it his "final fantasy".

#24 Posted by Cubidog1 (232 posts) -

There are so many stupid game titles. I even saw a Top 10 lists of worst game titles. I can't remember what website I read it on.

#25 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

It's kind of so bad, it's good? I think? Maybe?

No, it's just straight up good.

#26 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1499 posts) -

Engrish.

...I'm sorry. ._.

#27 Posted by Cogzwell (257 posts) -

eXceed Jade Penetrate Black.....

I still think this one wins but I wanted to bring that up.

#28 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1540 posts) -

Worst name ever, definitely not. Most Japanese name ever... maybe

#29 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

You do remember Um Jammer Lammy right? someone thought that was a great name..

I think taking away the comma and it immediately sounds better

#30 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Not really, it makes total sense in context to the game itself, which can't really be said about a lot of games, RPGs especially.

#31 Posted by stalefishies (344 posts) -
#32 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It's so bad that it's actually kind of awesome.

#33 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@shinboy630: not true (the name part not them going under)

It is just close to how the Japanese name is spelt. That is just a rumour everyone everyone jump on as it sounded good

#34 Posted by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

Infinite Undiscovery

This. Thisthisthisthisthisthis.

This

#35 Posted by moffattron9000 (357 posts) -
#36 Posted by HansKaosu (757 posts) -

Bravely and Default are 2 action moves.. 1 spend battle points and 1 save battle points for extra attacks

the name makes sense, though not the best

#37 Edited by crithon (3441 posts) -

well..... yes, it'd terrible, but then how many shitty Japanese titles are out there? We are lucky that final fantasy 13 sequel is "lighting returns" doesn't have a sub tittle "Fabula Nova Crystallis". I mean I WANT THIS GAME MORE THEN AIR! But yes it's crap title, and I understand the title is how it plays and still pronouncing it just puts this needle along my neck and pins down my mouth so I slur it a bit.

But hey, it's Japan

#38 Posted by HansKaosu (757 posts) -

I kind of like weird Japanese names.... at least its not using generic names we are so used to.

#39 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2200 posts) -

Square Enix is kind of the worst(best?) when it comes to completely nonsensical, half translated titles.

#40 Posted by DeF (4958 posts) -

At least they're rolling with it ...the sequel is called Bravely Second (which is also a game mechanic). lol

#41 Posted by Christoffer (1899 posts) -

I kind of like weird Japanese names.... at least its not using generic names we are so used to.

What? Are you implying that the name Stormrise wasn't remembered by everyone forever?

Generic titles are the shittiest on a whole different level.

#42 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@def said:

At least they're rolling with it ...the sequel is called Bravely Second (which is also a game mechanic). lol

then it shoulda been called Bravely First or something.

#43 Posted by HansKaosu (757 posts) -

@hanskaosu said:

What? Are you implying that the name Stormrise wasn't remembered by everyone forever?

Generic titles are the shittiest on a whole different level.

Thanks for remembering me of that shitstorm.

#44 Edited by fuzzypumpkin (388 posts) -

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was kind of a tribute to the "Final Fantasy" series. Flying Fairy = FF. I dunno though. Maybe I'm crazy. Can't think of what the Bravely Default part could be referring to.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was kind of a tribute to the "Final Fantasy" series. Flying Fairy = FF. I dunno though. Maybe I'm crazy. Can't think of what the Bravely Default part could be referring to.

Well, Bravely Default was originally meant to be a sequel to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Then they just sort of got so far away from the concepts of Final Fantasy in its design that they elected to make it into something else.

#46 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

If by worst you mean inventive and fun then sure, I adore S-E's weird naming conventions.

#47 Posted by The_Nubster (2324 posts) -

No, it's a good name for a game. What did you want? RPG Storm: Origins: Heroes of Battle?

There's nothing wrong with a game having a fun, silly name and it's good marketing, because you'll remember either the wacky name or the game that it belongs to.

#48 Posted by Superkenon (1487 posts) -

"Bravely Default" is the catchiest game name I've heard in a long time.

#49 Edited by Hajitorus (27 posts) -

The name has nothing at all on the intro cinematics. I just picked up my copy and it's so full of cheese, including one cutscene where the 3DS camera is active, and you can take 3D photos of a woman in distress. It's so dumb. I'm also raising an eyebrow at some of the translation already, so this promises to be an amazing JRPG experience.

#50 Posted by Demoskinos (15115 posts) -

I don't know about the name but that picture looks like the girl is nude at first glance.