#1 Edited by ashkev (39 posts) -

I know a few people have posted this before but its starting to become a real problem. Ever since the site change over, videos are a mixed bag, mostly for the worst. I thought moving to the new video host was supposed to fix this stuff?

- Videos often don't load when you hit play using HTML5, Progressive, or Streaming. If they do load, they constantly freeze or stop all together. This happens on all quality levels or "Auto"

- Videos using Youtube fare slightly better but still suffer from Youtubes infamous buffering issues. Youtube is usually the most reliable setting, though not all videos on the site support it.

I was just watching the SimCity Quicklook using "Streaming" and it never played, so I switched to Youtube. The video played but about 2 minutes in the screen just went black and started over.

Using latest Chrome, Win7 64 bit. Speedtest is below:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2500620473.png

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's a site about video games.

#3 Posted by ashkev (39 posts) -
#4 Edited by kortex (444 posts) -

Yeah, this site relaunch is starting to become an issue. i mean it's ok if there are problem the first few days but considering how long it has been since the launch and how many things are still broken... videos problems, buggy chat, random errors left and right. i don't know...

#5 Edited by LucidDreams117 (392 posts) -

I'm going to agree 100%. This is a site that heavily focuses on videos. Yes, it's about video games, but when you have several weekly features that are video based, like TNT, Unprofessional Fridays, I Love Mondays, plus throw in some quickly looks, usually at least one a day, I feel very confident in saying this is primarily a video site. And it's the number one reason why I love it. It's awesome. Suffice it to say, the new site hasn't gone the smoothest. And videos I believe have taken the worst of the beatings. The old video player worked fantastic, across multiple platforms and browsers. The old site all together worked great. It's sad that it hasn't come together yet with this new site.

It's also making me a little angry now. But I'm patient. The best thing about Giant Bomb and its crew is that they are vocal and they communicate with us. Looking at the Video FAQ's, I know they're working on windows RT and windows phone issues along with many other ones. Those two are the ones that are affecting me. They're trying to make it work and not just ignoring it. I appreciate it. I know it hasn't been easy. I can also sympathize with them. Developing a new site from the ground up with a new video player can't be easy at all. Especially with all the new devices that people use to watch content.

I guess what makes this all really hard for us to deal with is that the old site and video player worked fantastic across many browsers and platforms. We were so used to being able to play a video and just have it work. Whether it was with an iPhone, or an iPad. An Android phone, tablet. A Windows Phone, or tablet. Whether you were using IE, Firefox, Chrome or Safari. Obviously there were exceptions, but for the most part, when you pressed play, things worked out for you like you expected them to. Now it's all over the place. Makes me wonder if there's a way the tech guys can put the old player back until the bugs are worked out on this one. Obviously harder than it sounds I'm sure.

For now I'll just continue to wait out the storm and have faith in the tech crew. Though I'll be honest, I am getting a little peeved. I know we don't deserve the world on a silver platter and that we shouldn't whine but sometimes you just can't help it. Anyway, I know our words/complaints don't go unheard. I know that the guys are working hard and not just ignoring us or being slow on the video player because they want to. It's not easy. I do appreciate when you guys reply to these forums and give us updates. It's a good sense of reassurance. Here's hoping we're not still talking about this in a few weeks.

#6 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I want YouTube back so badly, the default player doesn't work properly. When using streaming, it doesn't give me HD quality on the auto function, even though my connection is blazing fast, and lately when on progressive, selecting HD sometimes doesn't maintain HD quality throughout, it becomes blocky as hell.

#7 Edited by Snail (8593 posts) -

This site is about more than just videos! Don't be racist.

Also what "infamous buffering issues"? If you are unhappy with the current state of the proprietary player use the YouTube one, it works fine.

Though that bug you mentioned about resetting the video 2 minutes in does sound weird. I don't remember something like that ever happening, at least recently. Maybe it's got to do with your internet connection? I don't know.

#9 Edited by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

Weirdly enough I've found that hitting the download button and watching videos in the browser itself (i'm on Chrome) makes them load a lot faster. Like, a LOT faster.

#10 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@jams said:
Baby want a bottle?

Yeah, fuck this guy for having a legitimate problem that should've been solved by now. How dare he report a bug in the correct way to the correct people.

Give me a fucking break, man.

#11 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@azteck said:

@jams said:
Baby want a bottle?

Yeah, fuck this guy for having a legitimate problem that should've been solved by now. How dare he report a bug in the correct way to the correct people.

Give me a fucking break, man.

#12 Posted by ashkev (39 posts) -

@snail said:

This site is about more than just videos! Don't be racist.

Also what "infamous buffering issues"? If you are unhappy with the current state of the proprietary player use the YouTube one, it works fine.

Though that bug you mentioned about resetting the video 2 minutes in does sound weird. I don't remember something like that ever happening, at least recently. Maybe it's got to do with your internet connection? I don't know.

I mean the infamous buffering issues with straight youtube videos.