#1 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

Am I doing something wrong? Almost every post I submit seems to make another one, I don't click on "submit post" more than once, sometimes it takes a short while to load and usually that is when my post ends up becoming double.

Is this common issue or just me doing something wrong?

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4789 posts) -

Yes it's been more prominent lately.

#4 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -
#5 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

What double posts?

#6 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@verendus said:

I don't click on "submit post" more than once, sometimes it takes a short while to load and usually that is when my post ends up becoming double.

After you hit submit, the loading logo loops for about 20 seconds then you're told the submission failed, and the text box where you type drops you where you left off.

Even though that happens, your post was posted. That's what I think people don't realize, they think it actually failed. So they try again. It tells you it failed, but it actually submitted.

I don't even wait for the loading logo to finish, the moment I see it I close the thread, the post is already on there even though it looks like it's loading to get there.

#7 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

What double posts?

#8 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -
#9 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

@jouseldelka: I don't think it's just that anymore. I used to be able to avoid it just by copying my post and reloading the thread to see if it actually posted, but even doing that I've somehow double posted a couple times this week.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3811 posts) -

I got used to post and then immediately refresh. The post goes through instantly and refreshing quickly enough prevents double posts and it's faster then waiting around.

#11 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

@jouseldelka: But I don't even get submission failed text or similar. Usually the GB logo takes it's time and that's when I seem to double post, without clicking anything again. Guess I have to post and exit thread when the bomb appears. Thank you for replies everyone.

#12 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

I got used to post and then immediately refresh. The post goes through instantly and refreshing quickly enough prevents double posts and it's faster then waiting around.

That's exactly what I've done for a while now, and haven't had a double post yet.

#13 Posted by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

It just keeps happening! Agghh!

Giantbomb's forums need a postbuster, stat!

#14 Edited by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

It just keeps happening! Agghh!

Giantbomb's forums need a postbuster, stat!

Edit: Sigh.

#15 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

It was okay a couple of hours after the site returned from being "Fixed" now its broken again dave!

#16 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

if($newPost.message == $previousPost.message && (timeDifference($newPost, $previousPost) < 120s) ) { DoNotPost() }

#17 Posted by Veektarius (4601 posts) -

These forums are so broken right now.

#18 Edited by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

It was okay a couple of hours after the site returned from being "Fixed" now its broken again dave!

#19 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

These forums are so broken right now.

#20 Edited by ShaggE (6333 posts) -

I click post and then hit refresh, that at least keeps doubleposting from happening.

#21 Edited by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

I make an extra tab of the topic I'm posting on, trying to catch it before it double posts. (It hasn't worked yet Edit: It worked!).

There's no way I'm refreshing while it's sending the post because it would be a massive bummer to lose a post to the void.

#22 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

All I do, when it goes on too long, is refresh; it still posts but you usually don't get the second one.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Hit Post Reply, wait five seconds, hit refresh. No double post.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

@nictel said:

if($newPost.message == $previousPost.message && (timeDifference($newPost, $previousPost) < 120s) ) { DoNotPost() }

I'm not sure that would work, since I can imagine some circumstances where quick double posts might be substantially different. Any way to code for detecting the content of the message itself?

#25 Posted by wjb (1638 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

That's exactly what I've done for a while now, and haven't had a double post yet.

I've done that for a while. I wish it solved the double post problem for me, but it hasn't lately. Earlier today it posted three times and there was a notice on the bottom telling me I've posted too many times in a row.

Felt sorry for the person I quoted. Probably got a ton of notifications for one post.

#26 Posted by Zacagawea (1582 posts) -

They're too busy working on Gamespot to care about us anymore guys :(

#27 Posted by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

I really don't think they should have ever relaunched the site, as far as I'm concerned, the old site was perfect.

#28 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@kidavenger said:

I really don't think they should have ever relaunched the site, as far as I'm concerned, the old site was perfect.

It's been a while, so I guess we can address this again.

For legal reasons related to the acquisition of Whiskey Media by BermanBraun, Giant Bomb had to be redesigned.

#29 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (999 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

@kidavenger said:

For legal reasons related to the acquisition of Whiskey Media by BermanBraun, Giant Bomb had to be redesigned.

Really? I thought it was the reverse. I thought CBS ended up owning the site design. Isn't that why Tested had to build a new site in like a week and a half? Seems weird that both sites would need to redesign, surely one company or the other owns that code?

#30 Edited by ajamafalous (11850 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@nictel said:

I'm not sure that would work, since I can imagine some circumstances where quick double posts might be substantially different. Any way to code for detecting the content of the message itself?

Bolded the part that already does that for you.

Also, yeah, this is becoming a pretty ridiculous problem. I figured if I gave it a few weeks it would get better, not worse. I've been trying to combat it by refreshing if it hangs for more than about 20 seconds, in which case the post has usually posted (but not yet doubleposted) by then.

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@kevin_cogneto said:

@chaser324 said:

@kidavenger said:

Really? I thought it was the reverse. I thought CBS ended up owning the site design. Isn't that why Tested had to build a new site in like a week and a half? Seems weird that both sites would need to redesign, surely one company or the other owns that code?

Nope. Tested got a new coat of paint at some point, but if you go back to Screened and Anime Vice you can see they both retain the old Whiskey Media design, while Giant Bomb and Comic Vine use the same new design.

#32 Edited by Rorie (2697 posts) -

Sorry about the double-posts. Should be happening a lot less frequently now...I hope.

Staff
#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

Still been getting these the last few days again both desktop and mobile.