Audio in all content from GbEast is always low volume

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tommytoad

So i've been noticing this for a long time with content coming from the east office. In every video, podcast, etc, that comes from gbeast the volume is much lower then in the sites other content (and other content on internet). This makes me crank up the volume hard on my speakers/headphones and then when i play something else it always kills my ears.

Have anyone else noticed the same thing?

For example, listen to this (latest beastcast) http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/the-giant-beastcast-episode-65/1600-1698/ and then compare it to http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bombcast-443-hideo-kojima-jr/1600-1695/ (latest bombcast).

It's the same with stuff being put on youtube. Also the same with the live content. Ping @vinny@drewbert

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Vinny dont like those in your face mixes.

I usually listen to beast and bombcast in sucession and i never have to adjust the volume.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've never noticed anything about the volume being lower on GBE content.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe... the volume is higher on the GBWest content. Think about it.

Seriously though - I don't notice a big difference.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

I think all Giant Bomb content has way too low volume. I don't notice a big difference between West and East though. Kinda wish they would just run Audacity's normalizer on the podcast file before posting it. At least when it comes to video content, I watch it at home and run it through my TV's compressor, but I usually listen to the podcasts while walking, and there have been times where I've struggled to hear anything over the sounds of passing cars at the maximum volume my ipod can handle.

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tommytoad

@fisk0: Yeah, i agree that west is also on the low-side of things volume wise, but i think east is even worse in some cases.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds fine to me. With the volume all the way up on the player and my system it is too loud even so there should be no problems finding a volume you like, unless you have bad hearing.

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: Bring it up to a normal/high volume and then go watch something on gamespot, youtube or other video site, without changing your system volume.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

As someone who happens to edit East/West videos, I can confirm that West's audio is slightly too loud and East's audio is usually about half as loud as West's.

Makes for a fun little challenge for me.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I've noticed it too over the past few years. I solved some of it by reconfiguring my speakers. I have no rear speakers in my 5.1 set up, so I had set windows to mix in the rear channel audio to the front speakers. When I removed this the audio went up on some content but in general they are very quiet.

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: I've even noticed it in some of your older best of-videos, it's really apparent to me, i don't get how more people has not noticed.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed that as well. I've also noticed that on some QL's done in the East the game audio is lower as well.

But on the overall volume, I think there's a problem with both sides. East is low and West is too loud (or at least it feels like it has more clipping).

tokit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By tokit

Oh yeah I've noticed this too but it hasn't bothered me that much, the beastcast is quieter by about 4db but that's enough to hear a difference and it can be a big difference when you're listening on stuff such as mobile devices that can't push as much volume. On the plus side though, the beastcast audio is less compressed and I like how it sounds, much less fatiguing on the ears when you're listening for 2+ hours straight. I took two screenshots of the wave forms so you guys can see the difference, the giantbomb west podcast is definitely louder and compressed.

Giant Beastcast (east) on the top and Giant Bombcast (west) on the bottom.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Also I noticed the east podcast is 48KHz while the west one is at 44.1KHz

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The place where it an issue is on a phone or tablet that has small speakers. You can never quite get teh volume of GBest up loud enough to hear comfortable unless you head in right next to that device.