#1 Posted by Hailinel (24293 posts) -

This is more of a feature request than a bug, but when selecting an image as a game page's background, it's difficult to tell what part of the image will actually be visible in the background window. This makes it hard to determine a good background image without trial and error. Is there a way you can implement a preview system that can alleviate this problem?

#2 Edited by Marino (4647 posts) -

@hailinel: It's kind of a moot point since what is visible is different depending on the user's screen resolution.

Staff
#3 Posted by Hailinel (24293 posts) -

@marino: Well, that certainly makes things difficult. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

#4 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

I want to know if I can do this to the concept pages that I have put the most work into, and if so, how?

#5 Posted by eccentrix (1540 posts) -

@big_jon: Last I heard, you had to have 1000 points on that page.

#6 Edited by big_jon (5723 posts) -
#7 Posted by mrcraggle (1895 posts) -

@marino: So far from what I can tell, only the mobile site properly displays the whole image. Looking at the site on my monitor which is 1080p, you can barely see anything.

#8 Edited by alexisg (379 posts) -

Yeah I hear ya on the pain of it. Honeslty the image is supposed to be there as an atmospheric thing. Having it show too much was taking away from the real content but I think the pages do look way better with a bg image. I forget what the pt amount for having access to that feature. I am sure someone can chime in about that.

In general the image part that you are going to be cropping is the middle sliver. I like iamges with a ton of junk going on or atmosphere such as on the Halo 4, Crysis 3, and Dead Space pages which I set last night.

Staff
#9 Posted by Tearhead (2159 posts) -

Also, what about pages where no one has got 1000 points (or whatever the requirement is)? Having a request thread for background images could be annoying to all involved when trying to find the right image.

#10 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@alexisg: I would like to set the image for the Elites page, how do I do that?

#11 Posted by Marino (4647 posts) -

@big_jon: It's in the edit menu attached to each image in the gallery for that page.

Staff
#12 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -
@marino said:

@big_jon: It's in the edit menu attached to each image in the gallery for that page.

Thanks!

#13 Posted by DrWhat (280 posts) -

@tearhead I think the idea is that if you like a page enough to put a background image on it, you have to write enough wiki words that you get 1000 points, though that's an awful lot of points.

I think it would be cool if we hit, like, 3000 points or something, if we could have sitewide bg image privileges. I forget what the tiers are, you get something at 3000 right? I should edit more...

#14 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

What if none of the images look good when you try them out? Is there any way to reset it to no background?

#15 Edited by Brackynews (4059 posts) -
@tearhead said:

Also, what about pages where no one has got 1000 points (or whatever the requirement is)? Having a request thread for background images could be annoying to all involved when trying to find the right image.

This sounds like a job for... the Image Moderation tool!

R.I.P.... ;___;