Background image selection pains.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

This is more of a feature request than a bug, but when selecting an image as a game page's background, it's difficult to tell what part of the image will actually be visible in the background window. This makes it hard to determine a good background image without trial and error. Is there a way you can implement a preview system that can alleviate this problem?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#2  Edited By Marino  Staff

@hailinel: It's kind of a moot point since what is visible is different depending on the user's screen resolution.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@marino: Well, that certainly makes things difficult. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I want to know if I can do this to the concept pages that I have put the most work into, and if so, how?

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@big_jon: Last I heard, you had to have 1000 points on that page.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By big_jon
mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@marino: So far from what I can tell, only the mobile site properly displays the whole image. Looking at the site on my monitor which is 1080p, you can barely see anything.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By alexisg

Yeah I hear ya on the pain of it. Honeslty the image is supposed to be there as an atmospheric thing. Having it show too much was taking away from the real content but I think the pages do look way better with a bg image. I forget what the pt amount for having access to that feature. I am sure someone can chime in about that.

In general the image part that you are going to be cropping is the middle sliver. I like iamges with a ton of junk going on or atmosphere such as on the Halo 4, Crysis 3, and Dead Space pages which I set last night.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Also, what about pages where no one has got 1000 points (or whatever the requirement is)? Having a request thread for background images could be annoying to all involved when trying to find the right image.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexisg: I would like to set the image for the Elites page, how do I do that?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#11 Marino  Staff

@big_jon: It's in the edit menu attached to each image in the gallery for that page.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino said:

@big_jon: It's in the edit menu attached to each image in the gallery for that page.

Thanks!

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

@tearhead I think the idea is that if you like a page enough to put a background image on it, you have to write enough wiki words that you get 1000 points, though that's an awful lot of points.

I think it would be cool if we hit, like, 3000 points or something, if we could have sitewide bg image privileges. I forget what the tiers are, you get something at 3000 right? I should edit more...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

What if none of the images look good when you try them out? Is there any way to reset it to no background?

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#15  Edited By Brackynews
@tearhead said:

Also, what about pages where no one has got 1000 points (or whatever the requirement is)? Having a request thread for background images could be annoying to all involved when trying to find the right image.

This sounds like a job for... the Image Moderation tool!

R.I.P.... ;___;