Can't post replies to posts on my PC.

ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ChiXiStigma

I'm hoping this will work. Submitting as a test before typing it all out on my phone.

Edit: Clearly that worked, but I'm puzzled.

On my PC I get the following validation error when posting in the forums:

body: ERROR: This value should not be blank.

The body isn't blank, as verified by the text I just typed text in it. Additionally, none of the buttons on the reply menu work.

These problems are persistent across Chrome v54.0.2840.71 and Edge v38.14393.0.0.

I know this point to a local issue with my PC, but the most I'm finding online related to this are on Stack Overflow, and if your forms had faulty validation in the code then very few people would be able to post. I found a few people complaining about not being able to post on most/all forums, but I'm only having a problem on your site. I'd really appreciate help even though the root cause is most likely a local issue on my box.

Thank you in advance!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any extentions? Also have you tried clearing your cache/cookies?

ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ChiXiStigma
@oursin_360:
ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the post above was allowed, but the text I wrote wasn't committed. I tried PMing you, OurSin, it looks like it did the same thing as the above post.

Thank you for responding and sharing advice! I had already stripped both browsers down to a vanilla install before I made my first post. Thank you so much for responding nevertheless!

ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ChiXiStigma

It's back to just giving me the validation error. Looking at the elements in Chrome I can see that the error that is being presented is not what is in the code. From what I see, im supposed to be presented with the following text when failing the body validation:

"Dude, you can't just leave this empty!"

So that leads me to believe that something else is failing validation before that <div> element can be checked against the reply body, or that something is failing to initially load on the site which prohibits that field from actually ever being checked at all.

So I started loading up this page in I.E., Edge, and Chrome with the dev console running. There were several errors (a few of them were parts of the page that were trying to handle .swf, but your links are as dead as shockwave), and one of them stood out as a common link.

I'm getting a failed to load error (ERR_CONNECTION_REST) on your wysiwyg script.

I'm going to try and work out what could be blocking this js on my rig. I'll report back if I figure it out. Please assume that I'm lost if I haven't made an update. =)

ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ChiXiStigma

OK, so I pulled giantbomb.com's whois and in Windows firewall I allowed ALL traffic from every IP/range listed. Then I disabled Windows Defender in as much is possible without stripping it from this monstrosity of an OS. I then disabled ANYTHING that seemed like it might be preventing scripts to run in Internet Options. Then I went into Chrome's config pages and enabled/disabled anything that made it less likely to prevent scripting or JS specifically.

The problem persists. I'm as wide open for your site's diseases as I can be without getting in gimp leathers and strapping myself to a table. I don't know what else to do. I really hope someone sees this and has a few more ideas.

ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ChiXiStigma

Update:

I remembered that i hadn't tried this out on my Mac, so I pulled out and made some test posts. I get the same fucking error on Chrome and Safari on MacOS. For a quick summary:

The error doesn't occur on IOS 10.1.1 when tested on Chrome and Safari.

The error constantly occurs on Windows 10 build 14393.351 on Chrome, Edge, and IE.

The error occurs the same as on Win10 when testing on MacOS 10.12.1 with Chrome and Safari.

It's also not my router because I tested both my laptop and my desktop while plugged directly into the modem and had the same error. Maybe there is something screwed up with my account on your end? Any DBAs feel like digging through my info on your tables?

Seriously, I would really appreciate some help or even another response from someone. Thank you in advance.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@chixistigma: If you're getting an err_connection_reset on the wysiwyg script that is likely your problem. Are you absolutely sure you don't have any: adblock extensions, host file rules, network firewalls, etc? if you copy the url from the network tab in chrome can you go to that file directly? Is this the url it's trying to hit? http://static.giantbomb.com/js/compiled/wysiwyg_t3_5_10.js

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ChiXiStigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: I finally found the root cause. It was actually an issue with my ISP and the modem that I own. There was a bugged firmware revision which Arris had pushed to my ISP which caused specific traffic to be blocked erroneously by my ISP. Arris quickly pushed a revision with the bug fixed, but I couldn't get my ISP to push it to my modem (or allow it on their network when I loaded it myself) due to them being in the middle of a buyout/merger. I can send you all of my ISP and router details if you care for a more detailed post-mortem, though I doubt the issue is actively effecting anyone else anymore.

I'm assuming that the reason I could post with no issues on my phone is due to how iOS handles js natively.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@wcarle: I finally found the root cause. It was actually an issue with my ISP and the modem that I own. There was a bugged firmware revision which Arris had pushed to my ISP which caused specific traffic to be blocked erroneously by my ISP. Arris quickly pushed a revision with the bug fixed, but I couldn't get my ISP to push it to my modem (or allow it on their network when I loaded it myself) due to them being in the middle of a buyout/merger. I can send you all of my ISP and router details if you care for a more detailed post-mortem, though I doubt the issue is actively effecting anyone else anymore.

I'm assuming that the reason I could post with no issues on my phone is due to how iOS handles js natively.

That is a really specific cause of your trouble! Wow! Glad you got it sorted, though.