#1 Posted by Satori (4 posts) -

Related to the new chat that was put into public test earlier today.

The current character limit for chat text input is 255 chars. If I were to input 0-255 ASCII characters, the message appears correctly in the message listing, and connection remains stable.

If I input 254 ASCII characters, but input one non-alphanumeric unicode character, i.e. 'ӆ', I experience the following: -

- The chat portion of the client page seems to halt updating, and a connection issue error message is displayed.
- The chat portion of the client page renders blank, then reappears after a second or so, and the chat reloads.
- Any messages after this are duplicated, presumably because of the websocket bug I heard @alexisg describe during the dev chat stream.

I've also been able to replicate this issue by inputting 43 non-alphanumeric unicode characters, but any less than this works fine.

No idea if you're using typed arrays, but some form of cumulative value for characters is causing client side crashes, as there seems to be different numbers of ASCII/Unicode alphanumeric characters that play nice with some number of non-alphanumeric Unicode characters, but certain amounts cause the above symptoms.

Thanks,
Satori

#2 Edited by MB (12072 posts) -

I sort of like that this type of input is causing chat clients to crash. No one inputting 254 ASCII characters + a unicode character or 43 non-alphanumeric unicode characters could possibly be up to anything good. Damn hackers!

#3 Posted by ChrisHarris (275 posts) -

@mb said:

I sort of like that this type of input is causing chat clients to crash. No one inputting 254 ASCII characters + a unicode character or 43 non-alphanumeric unicode characters could possibly be up to anything good. Damn hackers!

I h̶a̡v҉e ͘ņo҉ ̶i̵d̡e̡a what̶ y̛oų're ͟ţal̀ki̡ng͡ ̡a̛b҉out.