#1 Posted by OptimalPower (112 posts) -

No matter which option I select, the video is very choppy. Only started doing this on the new player so I am not sure what the problem is.

My pc isn't very good but I used to have no problem running videos fullscreen, but now I can't run any video well in any format, unfortunately.

Any ideas?

#2 Posted by mrpibb (460 posts) -

Can you provide specs on your browser, OS and what resolution / video you're watching? Our HD resolution is a bit higher quality then before and that could be a tipping point.

Staff
#3 Edited by waterlovinguy (20 posts) -

Can you also say what version of Flash your using? And also give a URL to an example video that gave you issues?

Thanks

#4 Edited by SnakeSDR (64 posts) -

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using the following:

Chrome version24.0.1312.57 m (latest)

Windows XP SP3 (all the latest updates)

An older system with a 3.0Ghz dual core, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 512MB Radeon 5450 (not a very good card, but works well enough for hd video)

I had no issues running any of the video options or resolutions before and also the download for the HD version is very slow (90 Kbs when I normally get 1400 - 1800 Kbs).

#5 Edited by XenoByteZero (7 posts) -

I'm getting the same issue, a half second freeze every second or so, in all video methods (streaming, HTML5, Youtube). Used to have no problems playing before, usually using the HTML5 player.

Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m

Windows 8

Intel Atom N550 @1.50Ghz

#6 Posted by villainy (541 posts) -

I'm on the flip side. After probably 4+ months of 100-200Kbps max from Giant Bomb I've been streaming HD video in the HTML5 player with no hiccups since the redesign launch. That is when I can get past the 500s... but that's another story.

#7 Posted by glasswall52 (66 posts) -

I have been having this same problem, and am also using Chrome, so I did a little research. I noticed that it wasn't just the video that was stuttering every second or so, but page scrolling as well, so it's not the video player. I opened up chrome dev tools and did some profiling and noticed that my "After the Deadline" extension was the only thing actually doing anything and it was firing a timer ever second. So, after disabling the After the Deadline extension for GiantBomb, it seems this issue has been resolved for me.

Hope that helps.

#8 Posted by XenoByteZero (7 posts) -

@glasswall52: This is exactly what was happening to me, disabled the extension for GB and it works flawlessly.

Thanks!

#9 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

I have been having this same problem, and am also using Chrome, so I did a little research. I noticed that it wasn't just the video that was stuttering every second or so, but page scrolling as well, so it's not the video player. I opened up chrome dev tools and did some profiling and noticed that my "After the Deadline" extension was the only thing actually doing anything and it was firing a timer ever second. So, after disabling the After the Deadline extension for GiantBomb, it seems this issue has been resolved for me.

Hope that helps.

Unrelated, but I love when these things turn out to be someone elses fault :/

#10 Edited by TheInsider (50 posts) -

I have this same problem but have no extensions in Chrome. Very choppy. Would say like 7 frames a second kind of choppy. It's only like this on the new video player

#11 Edited by hedfone (1750 posts) -

Same problems on firefox. Also the spinning tape podcast animation oddly brings my computer to its knees and makes everything lag :/ And while my computer isn't the most amazing thing out there, that shit makes no sense. It can handle streamig hd video, but a tape player animation.. fugetaboutit

#12 Edited by CrystaljDesign (148 posts) -

I am having this issue in Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m, Win 7 x64, 3.5ghz quad core cpu. Ever since the relaunch the videos are choppy in full screen, no matter the setting. Very sad :-(

#13 Posted by TheInsider (50 posts) -

Tested with Internet Explorer and Firefox as well, none fare any better. The twitchtv embed runs smooth as glass though so it has to be the new player

#14 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Getting the same problem in Firefox 18.0.2 on Windows 8 with Flash 11.6.602.168. This is on the HD progressive setting but I haven't tested any other settings.

I don't think it's my computer but here are my specs: i5 760 2.80 Ghz Quad Core, Radeon 6870, and 4 GB of RAM.

#15 Edited by austinmiller (105 posts) -

My issue is that the videos on Progressive, Streaming and HTML 5 (not YouTube) noticeably drop frames after a time. The beginnings of videos run perfectly, no hitches whatsoever, but the towards the middle is when problems begin occurring. For example, during this week's archived "Unprofessional Fridays," the hitching started around 17 minutes in. I love the look and what not of the new player and hope that these issues will get ironed out. And while I'm here, let me go ahead and share my specs as well:

CPU: i7-3770k

GPU: GTX 680 4gb

RAM: 32Gb

Browser: Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m

The new site looks great. Thanks and GLHB.

Edited: (If needed, I can capture some video of the dropping frames)

#16 Edited by l3illyl3ob (278 posts) -

Hope that helps.

I want to thank you for this. The problem is CPU usage, and the site using way too much of it. I bugged dave over twitter about it while the site was in beta and I was in the process of submitting a bug report about it when I saw this thread. For whatever the reason, After the Deadline uses up a crazy amount of CPU on this site only, and it increases its CPU usage over time as you idle on a page. This makes videos choppy, text editing laggy, etc. Now I can watch videos on the site again!

#17 Posted by austinmiller (105 posts) -

Thank you for telling me about the After the Deadline CPU usage. I've disabled it as well, and things are running great.

#18 Edited by Dogma (943 posts) -

What is "After the Deadline"? Explain to a guy!

I really want my GIantbomb work as usual. I have the same problems with a very choppy video on either option. Nothing is smooth and it has forced me to start download files and watch them natively on my computer. I don't like it that is what I have to do to ger videos to work as they should.

I have a quite old Mac Mini with 1,66 GHz Core Duo and 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR SDRAM. It's using Leopard v. 10.5.8

I use Safari for my browsing but even Firefox has problems. The old site work execelent for me (and no other site has this problem either) and it's a shame that I can't watch video anymore directly on the site.

#19 Posted by ShaolinSpade (158 posts) -

I'm still having this issue only with the Giantbomb video player. The choppy videos are accompanied by a cpu spike into the 90% range. Anybody figured this out yet? It's definitely not an extension thing for me