'Coming up on Giant Bomb' time is always incorrect

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

The topic title pretty much says it all. For some reason the the coming up on giant bomb times for me are showing up as two hours before what they should actually be. Today for instance, Metal Gear Scanlon is posted as coming out at 3pm but it's meant to show 5pm.

I was under the impression that it just figured out time zones from my ip address and worked out the right time from that but for some reason instead of thinking I'm in Canberra it thinks I'm in Western Australia or the same longitude time zone. I'm not behind any sort of proxy or VPN and WhereisIP shows that I'm in Canberra so I'm not really sure what's going on. I'm using Chrome at the moment and I've tried going incognito as well as Firefox all with the same results.

It's really only a small thing, and it's not that hard to figure out the right time in my head but it is bugging me a little!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm in Western Australia and Metal Gear Scanlon shows up at 4:30pm.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I'm in Western Australia and it shows as

Metal Gear Scanlon - Part 10

VIDEO ON SEP 25, 2014 03:00 PM

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea my schedule says:
Metal Gear Scanlon - Part 10

VIDEO ON SEP 25, 2014 03:00 PM

where the 3pm should really be 5pm especially considering it's 4:10pm right now as I post this.

Also on a side note, is there any way to see the upcoming stuff on the mobile site? I'm using Chrome on my phone and I haven't seen it anywhere there unless I've missed it, and for some reason requesting the desktop site doesn't work (I know next to nothing about coding websites but I'm guessing that's because it's one of the fancy adaptive type pages where it knows my screen width?)

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave was right all along, Giant Bomb needs to be on internet time.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think MGS is the best judge, it's been a bit wonky a few times. Everything else has been accurate for me but those have been off regularly. Early, late, etc. It's never very consistent for some reason on those videos.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vamino

@caska: Except that he's in WA, so it will be 3pm for him (and me.)

This has come up before, and @rorie gave an explanation, but I cannot for the life of me remember it. Depended on how your ISP was routing your traffic, possibly?

Edit: I wont change my top bit, but after re-reading I will acknowledge that it makes no sense because I misread and thought you were replying to the above poster. Sorry. I'm quite tired.

You could try a tracert to giantbomb and see where your isp is directing your traffic through. It might be that it's pushing it through WA and that is affecting the time showing up for you.

I get the same problem fairly often, with it giving me Adelaide time and, mostly, EST.

Double edit: Just checked out the mobile site in chrome, and though it looks the same when you request desktop site because it's adaptive, the upcoming list is actually there for me. It's just down past all the latest stories, and above the current forum topics.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vamino: Hmmmm the addresses that are listed in the trace route are all in NSW before jumping overseas so I'm thinking that's not it?

Also thanks man! I can't believe I didn't scroll any further down and see the upcoming list right there!

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caska: It could also be down to whatever DNS server you're hitting at the time, maybe.. Not sure.

It's a strange omission that the upcoming isn't on the default mobile site, I think. The positioning of it on the "full" site when viewed on a phone is kind of odd, being all the way down there.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We do look up your time zone based on your IP address. Unfortunately, if it's wrong, it's an issue with the geolocation service that we use and there's nothing we can really do about it. Sorry.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey everyone, we've confirmed there's an actual issue with our geolocation right now. Investigating.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By caska

Ok cool! Thanks for letting us know!

steveeasley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 steveeasley  Staff

@caska sent you a PM regarding this issue.

steveeasley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 steveeasley  Staff

@probablytuna@rowr Were you saying the your displayed time is incorrect as well? For instance today 9/27 "Demo Derby: PlayStation Underground: Volume 4 Issue 4" starts at 7AM UTC. Tomorrow 9/28 "Social Gaming and the Fear of Missing Out" starts at 1PM UTC.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@croy70: Demo Derby: PlayStation Underground: Volume 4 Issue 4 is still on my upcoming list even though it's already on my Latest Premium Content. Social Gaming and the Fear of Missing Out will be out 28/09 10:30 GMT+8 for me.

steveeasley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 steveeasley  Staff

@probablytuna So for "Social Gaming and the Fear of Missing Out", are you saying it displays the correct time for you, or no? If not could you paste exactly what it says, and let me know what timezone you are in (not sure if you are saying GMT+8 is you actual TZ). 10:30 does sound incorrect if you are GMT+8 based on the :30 time.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By probablytuna

@croy70: I wouldn't know if it was the correct time. It just says Sep 28, at 10:30AM (I'm assuming it's set for my timezone which is GMT+8).

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It would be great if there was a way to switch to a 24-hour clock. I don't usually have that many issues with the AM/PM system, but for example right now the MGScanlon Live-show is showing to me as starting at 12 AM on Wednesday and I'm not 100% sure if that's midnight or mid-day (pretty sure it's midnight).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Corevi
chonkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@croy70 Is it possible to always show the time in UTC?

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the Coming Up panel has been buggy lately, with stuff not moving off, stuff being at wrong times, etc.

We never would have had as many issues if we just used beats

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playstation Home video next year WOOO!

steveeasley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 steveeasley  Staff

Thanks for all the detail from everyone. We have confirmed this is an issue with our geo location service and are coming up with a plan to fix it. Stay tuned.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@croy70 can you display the timezone along with the time? (or maybe only on hover if you don't want to change the looks).

Just from seeing the time it's never clear to me if it is supposed to be my local time or GB West time or something else [1], having a timezone displayed would clarify that.

[1] At work I deal with customers from many timezones, whenever they mention a time I have to figure out which timezone they meant. Perhaps that makes me distrust times-without-timezones a bit more than most ;)