Confirmation Pop-Up When I am Trying To Leave Video Page

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Basically, the issue is that the site is reminding me that if I back away from the videos page (Edit: not a specific video, just the main videos page) I am going to lose all my data, just like if I was leaving an unfinished forum post.

So here are the specs. I am running the latest Firefox, with MSE support enabled (for 720p60fps video), adblock disabled, I am blocking "google-analytics.com" using Request Policy. Uninstalling Request policy or Adblock completely doesn't change the problem.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is a frequently requested thing that still hasn't been done, which Im sure is probably kind of hard to do. (assuming thats why it hasnt been done in the last 4 years.)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah, this happens consistently across just about any desktop browser I can think of.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird to hear that this has been a common bug. I guess I usually end up just downloading vids as they get posted, so I almost never go to the videos page.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sjqpersonal: @monetarydread: Interesting. I've never seen this. Sounds like a chrome extension, or something else is adding data to a form at some point.

Does it happen when you are logged out (incognito window), or only when logged in? Any other details or test cases I can look at?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BisonHero

@jslack said:

@sjqpersonal: @monetarydread: Interesting. I've never seen this. Sounds like a chrome extension, or something else is adding data to a form at some point.

Does it happen when you are logged out (incognito window), or only when logged in? Any other details or test cases I can look at?

I have it happen with Firefox as well. Not when I'm logged out, though.

And yeah, I think it's the same warning message you get when you try to leave a page where you've typed something into the comments/forum post text editor. Is it possibly related to how if I post a comment on a video, then hit refresh on that video page where I've just left a comment, it autofills the comment text editor with the entirety of the comment I just posted instead of resetting the form back to a blank one.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teddie

@jslack: I've been having the same problem, so I just tried it while logged out and there was no popup. Logging back in made the popup come back.

Running latest version of Firefox, same as OP.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Yes, it is quite likely related. Either it's something causing the pointer to be added to the text field (perhaps an auto-focus plugin), or something the browser is doing. I haven't seen it myself, but I would like to solve this issue if it's widespread.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: Just tried out in an ingonito window and I don't see the issue, logged out and no issue again. I logged back in and the pop-up returned. This also only happens in Firefox, I do not see the message when I use Chrome.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: Ah! I think I might know. I think Firefox has a weird spellchecker thing? It might be trying to parse through all of the input fields (which then flags our form that there are changes). I wonder if you can turn off spellchecking (and spellchecking plugins) and whatnot?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disabled spell check in Options-> Advanced on Firefox 37.0.1 and still gives me the popup when i'm logged in.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Hmmm. Good to know. Will continue to look at this.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey guys update on this issue, we have a solution in the works right now. After some testing we should have it out in a few days. Turns out confirm navigate stuff is pretty weird between browsers.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Awesome. It's more of an annoyance than an issue; so take your time and don't get stressed out about it. Your team does an awesome job on this site and your work is very much appreciated.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a recent Firefox update introduced this. I've been using Firefox with Giant Bomb for years and this issue just started happening for me in the last few weeks.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, after a ...umm... brief mix up that that made this problem worse, it looks like everything is good now. Let us know if this popup is still well popping up in strange places