#1 Posted by mjbrune (63 posts) -

Hey All,

I don't want to speak ill of giantbomb but the download rates for videos seem down right terrible. I am downloading load our last saves at 130 KB/s a second! I have a 50mB/s connection which should allow me to at download at least 6 MB/s. I am pretty sure it's not my connection. Is there a reason the download rates are this slow? Has it always been like this, I just got premium a few months or so ago and that is when I started downloading videos from the site but has it always been like this?

#2 Posted by Uberjannie (294 posts) -

Same here. I have a 50/10 mbps connection, and the problem I have is that the video's keep pausing all the time. Makes it unbearable to watch videos. Funny thing is that I can watch 720p videos on Gamespot no problem. No ad-blocker no nuffin. Why do I even pay for this? I mostly paid to get the HTML5 player.

#3 Posted by Rorie (2682 posts) -

@uberjannie: @mjbrune: Let me see if GameSpot's using any different kind of server technology than we are; I don't believe that they do. We are going to be shifting to the new GameSpot video player sometime soon, which will hopefully alleviate some of these issues.

Staff
#4 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

It seemed to just be at that point in time (last night) i was having issues with it downloading slow as well so just streamed it. 3 hours later tho it was fine for me to download at full speed.

Maybe just server congestion?

#5 Posted by Rorie (2682 posts) -

@ikilledthedj: Always possible. I hear from some people that U.S. evenings are slow for them, even in Europe.

Staff
#6 Posted by Quipido (613 posts) -

I have a pretty slow internet, but downloading larger videos is a terrible experience even for me - it often fluctuates between 30-150kb/s, which is way below my speed. Yes, I do live in Europe. This issue made me download everything in "high" instead of "HD" already, I just let the Chrome download the latest Loud Our Last Souls video and in 3 hours I managed to get 0,3GB so I just cancelled it and came here looking for help.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

#7 Posted by Sign (291 posts) -

I am having the same issues. For non-sub content I can use the Youtube option to view it in HD but if it is something like Unprof. Friday's or Load our Last Souls I am out of luck because the DL and streaming speed is terrible. It took almost 4 hours to get through last weeks Unprof. Friday due to the constant buffering and pausing even after I tried selecting High instead of HD. This is on a 30Mbps connection.

#8 Edited by Mab (6 posts) -

I'm using a 5mbps down connection, and downloading old "Random PC Game" vids I usually get ~100kbps down. Last night I was sitting around 60kbps.

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

Yeah, streaming speed is really bad right now.

#10 Posted by Khann (2783 posts) -

Out of curiosity, are you guys using download managers when you download?

#11 Posted by Mab (6 posts) -

Nope, when I download I'm just in Safari and right click>"download linked file". I always pick Low or Mobile video qualities, since I know my dl speed is so slow.

#12 Edited by Khann (2783 posts) -

Try it with a download manager that downloads in multiple parts. Most (if not all) of them do this I believe.

#13 Posted by sixnahalf (50 posts) -

use the download manager for fast downloading compare to torrent programs :D

#14 Edited by MB (11971 posts) -

@rorie: Bumping this one...not sure what is going on with videos lately, but speeds are pretty awful. I'm on a 50/10 connection with no issues on any other sites, but the only way I can watch any videos on GB is to use the YouTube player. Downloading videos is just as bad - Chrome is currently reporting that it's going to take 35 minutes to download an 89mb trailer. This holds true for Chrome and Chrome Beta channels on OS X 10.9 as well as Chrome on Win 7 on three different machines. This screenshot taken from Chrome 32.0.1700.19 beta on 11/28 at 12:50, Mac OS X 10.9 on a brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina with 8gb RAM and a 2.0ghz i7.

and here's an example of a test file I just tried -

#15 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

@mb: Just downloaded that file in 26 seconds.

#16 Edited by MB (11971 posts) -

@rorie: same video, same machine on the same network, two days later...

#17 Edited by erbarad (24 posts) -

Something is definitely off, I'm trying to download LOLS9, and the download speed is a whopping 12-30 KB/s on a 30Mb/s

[EDIT]

Ok, now something even more bizzare is happening. The download goes full speed for like 2 minutes, and then suddenly drops to abysmal 10KB/s :'( EVERY TIME!

#18 Posted by Rorie (2682 posts) -

@erbarad said:

Something is definitely off, I'm trying to download LOLS9, and the download speed is a whopping 12-30 KB/s on a 30Mb/s

[EDIT]

Ok, now something even more bizzare is happening. The download goes full speed for like 2 minutes, and then suddenly drops to abysmal 10KB/s :'( EVERY TIME!

This may be related to the time of day, or it may be a bad connection to Akamai. Have you tried a download manager like Jdownloader? Sometimes these can split a file up into multiple segments and download them all at once, which can boost the download speed quite a bit. Sorry for the trouble, at any rate.

Staff
#19 Posted by erbarad (24 posts) -

@rorie: Haven't tried Jdownloader with GB stuff, but it's all probably all due to the tome of the day and lots of traffic that come with it. I'll cope ;)

#20 Posted by conmulligan (303 posts) -

This seems to be getting worse for me. At the moment I'm usually only able to get between 50-100kbps on a 6mbps connection.