Download rates of videos on the site.

mjbrune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey All,

I don't want to speak ill of giantbomb but the download rates for videos seem down right terrible. I am downloading load our last saves at 130 KB/s a second! I have a 50mB/s connection which should allow me to at download at least 6 MB/s. I am pretty sure it's not my connection. Is there a reason the download rates are this slow? Has it always been like this, I just got premium a few months or so ago and that is when I started downloading videos from the site but has it always been like this?

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Same here. I have a 50/10 mbps connection, and the problem I have is that the video's keep pausing all the time. Makes it unbearable to watch videos. Funny thing is that I can watch 720p videos on Gamespot no problem. No ad-blocker no nuffin. Why do I even pay for this? I mostly paid to get the HTML5 player.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@uberjannie: @mjbrune: Let me see if GameSpot's using any different kind of server technology than we are; I don't believe that they do. We are going to be shifting to the new GameSpot video player sometime soon, which will hopefully alleviate some of these issues.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It seemed to just be at that point in time (last night) i was having issues with it downloading slow as well so just streamed it. 3 hours later tho it was fine for me to download at full speed.

Maybe just server congestion?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikilledthedj: Always possible. I hear from some people that U.S. evenings are slow for them, even in Europe.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a pretty slow internet, but downloading larger videos is a terrible experience even for me - it often fluctuates between 30-150kb/s, which is way below my speed. Yes, I do live in Europe. This issue made me download everything in "high" instead of "HD" already, I just let the Chrome download the latest Loud Our Last Souls video and in 3 hours I managed to get 0,3GB so I just cancelled it and came here looking for help.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having the same issues. For non-sub content I can use the Youtube option to view it in HD but if it is something like Unprof. Friday's or Load our Last Souls I am out of luck because the DL and streaming speed is terrible. It took almost 4 hours to get through last weeks Unprof. Friday due to the constant buffering and pausing even after I tried selecting High instead of HD. This is on a 30Mbps connection.

mab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mab

I'm using a 5mbps down connection, and downloading old "Random PC Game" vids I usually get ~100kbps down. Last night I was sitting around 60kbps.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, streaming speed is really bad right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of curiosity, are you guys using download managers when you download?

mab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, when I download I'm just in Safari and right click>"download linked file". I always pick Low or Mobile video qualities, since I know my dl speed is so slow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try it with a download manager that downloads in multiple parts. Most (if not all) of them do this I believe.

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

use the download manager for fast downloading compare to torrent programs :D

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

@rorie: Bumping this one...not sure what is going on with videos lately, but speeds are pretty awful. I'm on a 50/10 connection with no issues on any other sites, but the only way I can watch any videos on GB is to use the YouTube player. Downloading videos is just as bad - Chrome is currently reporting that it's going to take 35 minutes to download an 89mb trailer. This holds true for Chrome and Chrome Beta channels on OS X 10.9 as well as Chrome on Win 7 on three different machines. This screenshot taken from Chrome 32.0.1700.19 beta on 11/28 at 12:50, Mac OS X 10.9 on a brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina with 8gb RAM and a 2.0ghz i7.

No Caption Provided

and here's an example of a test file I just tried -

No Caption Provided

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mb: Just downloaded that file in 26 seconds.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

@rorie: same video, same machine on the same network, two days later...

No Caption Provided

erbarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By erbarad

Something is definitely off, I'm trying to download LOLS9, and the download speed is a whopping 12-30 KB/s on a 30Mb/s

[EDIT]

Ok, now something even more bizzare is happening. The download goes full speed for like 2 minutes, and then suddenly drops to abysmal 10KB/s :'( EVERY TIME!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erbarad said:

Something is definitely off, I'm trying to download LOLS9, and the download speed is a whopping 12-30 KB/s on a 30Mb/s

[EDIT]

Ok, now something even more bizzare is happening. The download goes full speed for like 2 minutes, and then suddenly drops to abysmal 10KB/s :'( EVERY TIME!

This may be related to the time of day, or it may be a bad connection to Akamai. Have you tried a download manager like Jdownloader? Sometimes these can split a file up into multiple segments and download them all at once, which can boost the download speed quite a bit. Sorry for the trouble, at any rate.

erbarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Haven't tried Jdownloader with GB stuff, but it's all probably all due to the tome of the day and lots of traffic that come with it. I'll cope ;)

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This seems to be getting worse for me. At the moment I'm usually only able to get between 50-100kbps on a 6mbps connection.