Editorial content intruding on the wiki

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

So I think this is new. First time I've seen it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This new thing pushes the old info panel off the screen entirely (on a 1080p monitor, even). Everything else in the side panel, of course, also gets pushed down, including the associated characters/concepts/etc and the top contributors.

I don't like this. I understand why it's there (to hook random Google visitors who stumble upon the wiki). It's just not an elegant way of doing what it's trying to do, because it disrupts the natural design of the wiki pages. And yes, I know it's a small issue. But it bugs me.

Allowing registered users to hide it by default would be the cool thing to do. At the very least, paying members should be able to.

What do you at home think?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yep, I hate it. It really gets in the way of wiki stuff. It would be nice if there was an option to disable it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm ok with the main site content being there, but it shouldn't affect the wiki and this is affecting the wiki. It'd be alright below everything else, or in a different shaped box at the end of the main body of content of the wiki page.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed thisand the effect is even worse if you are a visitor or non-premium as there is a banner Ad on top of that.

Really obscures and hides a lot of the most valuable information wiki pages have.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I agree completely.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

That seems stupid. I have a hard time believing they put it there on purpose. We've seen weirder bugs!

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Indeed. Good point, we should probably re-think this.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

lol YES! This has been bugging me so much but but I couldn't tell if I was just being dumb or what.

Maybe but it in a tab or something if you guys feel it needs to be there all the time.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jslack

This fix should be live in a couple of days.

Edit: Turns out this was an intended feature. I mis-understood and thought this was a bug. Sorry about that. This will not be changing.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cool, thanks for addressing this. I didn't like it either but it felt in place with the reduced importance placed on the wiki over the last couple years.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chilibean_3: I think the wiki is important. Working on rebuilding it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By rorie

This was an intended change. We're looking at getting people from the wiki to the editorial content on the site and this was a first, low-effort attempt at it. We'll look at how effective it is and shift things around based on how it performs. We're pretty likely to put something like this in the header of the site in a couple of months; if that occurs the module will be removed entirely.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

And, before you say it, yes, we know the wiki needs a lot of love. It's a bit more difficult to give it the attention it deserves because of the scope of the rebuilding project and the fact that the tech there doesn't span across the CBS sites. But we'd love to bring things like wiki bounties and tasks back, or just, you know, make it work like it should. Throwing an editorial content module in here isn't intended to be a slight against the wiki. If people really find it off-putting we'll look at sliding it down the rail a bit after we see how it performs.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#15 Mento  Moderator

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. That page really needed a more representative header image.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@rorie: The game details bar should never be anywhere other than at the very top.