Getting automatically redirected to garbage advertisements on Android Chrome

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hey there, when I go to any giant bomb link on my phone, the site loads, then immediately redirects to an advert like:

No Caption Provided

I've tried some other sites and Giant Bomb seems to be the only one affected.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've had that happen a few times on my phone as well. I was gonna post about it, but then forgot. I should probably note that I'm not signed in on my phone, if that makes any difference.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've had this happen frequently as well if I am not logged in on my phone. I'm assuming it doesn't happen when I'm logged in because of the whole no ad thing.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I'm getting this on Chrome for Android as well even when logged in.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm not logged in on mobile, but don't get the chance to.

davidjohnkeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Having the same problem for Safari iOS. The ad auto redirects to some free app download page everytime I try and view the site. Banner ads are totally cool but this is a bit of a pain in the butt.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is Vinny internet quick look levels of awful.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly surprised anyone even goes to the mobile site. The pop up ads are so bad, I feel like I've accidentally hopped over to buzzfeed.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Similarly, on the iPhone I've been getting a lot of ads that automatically redirect to the app store and basically get you stuck in there.

Avatar image for tarpit_carnivore
Tarpit_Carnivore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similarly, on the iPhone I've been getting a lot of ads that automatically redirect to the app store and basically get you stuck in there.

This is a growing trend with ad-networks on mobile. It's incredibly annoying.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the report, guys - we'll get that ad shut down.

davidjohnkeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for getting that ad removed @wemmick!

Wandzat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still getting ad redirects on safari on iPhone, makes it real hard to even log in.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish chrome would allow for addons that disables specific javascript. this redirection crap on websites is a nightmare.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wandzat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rick

@wandzat: Oh, I assumed you were going to say somewhere in Europe. Can you send me a screenshot next time you see this?

BTW: I'm from Meriden :)

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in alaska and woke up this morning to these ads after trying to browse the forums. One literally came up of a girl taking a load to the face. Seriously guys. Kill these types of ads. I don't wanna wake up to dicks, ever.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travisrex: Sorry. I've filed a report. There's little we can do to prevent this kind of thing, especially on Android. Its easy for some scumbag to buy ads on ad networks for Android and they feed though a maze of providers that leads to us. They usually don't last too long since someone in the chain tends to catch them eventually. Still its easy for the scumbags to create another account and start again.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shivoa

I know ad revenue is important (hence me opting out of that economy where I can via subscriptions/memberships for the writing/entertainment/criticism I read/watch to pay for it a different way) but...

surely at this point there are ad networks which sell slots that are for images you serve up to make money. Fixed size slots that are filled by your server with jpeg or png only from the ad server (with your server requesting which image to slot in per-user). No right to executed code on the client side machine. These redirects only seem to work because javascript or similar as considered just part of the stuff an advert contains. And mobile browsers have less well developed "evil j/s trying to destroy your life" scrubbing protections switched on (or added mobile hooks for ease of use, failing to realise how they'd be abused).

But really this has to end, right? When Apple bring an official ad-blocker to their platform, we can't keep going like this. Go back to the old days - remember the late '90s, remember using server-side php to query the ad server and inject the right advertising image into the page before passing the html to the client? I know I do.