This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by bchampnd (108 posts) -

This is probably about dead last on the crew's list of things to fix (if it's on the list at all) but the Roku app doesn't seem to be working. It worked for me last night but it hadn't updated with any yesterday's content - I think the latest video showing up on the app was I Love Mondays from 2/11/2013. Tonight it just doesn't seem to be launching at all.

(I checked my internet connection to confirm it was working, opened other apps and streamed videos, and restarted the Roku device but Giant Bomb's app still didn't work.)

#2 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Yep, same here. Hope it comes back! I don't think it's just dead and gone now, as Dave never mentioned that would happen, although I don't believe he's said anything to the contrary either, so.

#3 Edited by theharleyquin (47 posts) -

Bump for Roku. I know the feed for iTunes is still down so I'm hoping it's just RSS that needs to be updated.

#4 Posted by jeffrud (387 posts) -

I'll bump this thread. Though it would be wildly above the scope of anything I've done before, I'm willing to try and either poke what source code is available for the app to see what could be fixed, or learn a little bit of Roku app building. I bought my box for Giant Bomb, plain and simple. That channel not working is basically the end of me watching video content on this site.

#5 Posted by rchen (169 posts) -

Hey guys, we are currently aware that the API (and thus Roku and third party boxes) are currently not working. We are working on this and should be back up soon. Thanks for your patience!

#6 Posted by Zecks23 (157 posts) -

Sweet, glad the problem is getting fixed! Thanks!

#7 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (604 posts) -

@rchen: Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to the return of the best app on Roku.

#8 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

@rchen: Thanks for the update. I look forward to the app coming back and the podcast updates to get back to normal.

While on the Roku topic, is there a reason why only the most recent videos in each category remain accessible via the app? I've found workarounds to stream the older content but I was just curious.

#9 Posted by oldenglishC (962 posts) -

@bchampnd said:

@rchen: Thanks for the update. I look forward to the app coming back and the podcast updates to get back to normal.

While on the Roku topic, is there a reason why only the most recent videos in each category remain accessible via the app? I've found workarounds to stream the older content but I was just curious.

Watching the original endurance run on 55 inches of tv would be great, but since the Roku episodes don't go that far back, I would have to download every single episode. What's up with these workarounds?

#10 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

The Video Buddy app for iPad is also down, and I'm not even close to being any kind of expert, but I'm 99.9% sure that all of these kinds of things are all tied to the API, which is currently down temporarily to solve more pressing performance issues, and therefore the Roku App, the Boxee App, the Video Buddy, etc., will all be functional once the API is back....

.....right?

#11 Posted by YodaEXE (1 posts) -

Ah, glad I found this thread. Good to know that it's just the API being down. Looking forward to when it comes back!

#12 Edited by rchen (169 posts) -

Going to include @frobie into this convo because he's actually working on the API but in summary we are trying to have it be scaleable when it comes back so it doesn't bring the site to its knees (and cause more 500 errors)

#13 Posted by frobie (122 posts) -

What @rchen says is true. All the set top apps and phone apps are tied to the API to retrieve data unfortunately.

The roku app makes just one call to the video resource which grabs the 100 most recent videos of the selected category. I'll look into adding pagination, but it'll be a pretty low on the priority list.

Staff
#14 Posted by Hashbrowns (653 posts) -

@frobie said:

What @rchen says is true. All the set top apps and phone apps are tied to the API to retrieve data unfortunately.

The roku app makes just one call to the video resource which grabs the 100 most recent videos of the selected category. I'll look into adding pagination, but it'll be a pretty low on the priority list.

That would be fantastic. The subscriber category has become frustrating in that the weekly installments of things like Thursday Night Throwdown pile up, pushing rarer and, frankly, better content like Random PC Games off the accessible list. Maybe breaking those weekly "events" off into their own category might alleviate the issue?

#15 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

Glad the Roku app will be back up soon. It's my preferred way to watch GB content.

#16 Posted by TigerClaw (78 posts) -

Looks like the Roku App is finally working. :)

#17 Posted by jvdgoot (73 posts) -

Does this mean the boxee app now also works again?

#18 Posted by TigerClaw (78 posts) -

Probably

#19 Posted by jvdgoot (73 posts) -

I can confirm that it does!