HTML 5 video player does not work.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't get the HTML 5 video player to work at all. When I switch to the HTML 5 player it just throws up the giant play button and does nothing. Clicking either play buttons does not start playback.

Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m

Windows 8 64-bit

Latest Radeon drivers.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

What do you mean "switch to the HTML5 player"? I see no option to "switch" players.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By bibamatt

Same here. 'Streaming' setting works, but when I switch to HTML5, it won't play anything at all.

@snail said:

What do you mean "switch to the HTML5 player"? I see no option to "switch" players.

I hover over the little 'settings' cog on the player and there's a bunch of options. It's set to 'streaming' by default.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Strange, works perfectly fine for me. What quality are you on? Try the Low quality setting, perhaps the loading for HD/High just takes so long for you that you think it isn't working when it actually is.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have the opposite problems. Streaming or Progressive are just black screens. But Html5 is flawless. :/

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@bibamatt said:

Same here. 'Streaming' setting works, but when I switch to HTML5, it won't play anything at all.

@snail said:

I hover over the little 'settings' cog on the player and there's a bunch of options. It's set to 'streaming' by default.

I don't see an HTML5 option though. Maybe it's because I'm not using Chrome?

Drazyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm having the same issue as OP, streaming and progressive work fine (besides some buffering issues), but switching to HTML5 does nothing. Changing the quality to low bares no results.

Browser: Chrome Version 25.0.1364.84 beta-m

waterlovinguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HTML5 will display for browsers that pass a H 264 test, and not all do at this point, and the test, while good, is not perfect.

We only support release browsers and not nightly or beta versions.

We have received a few reports of wonk in Chrome. Unfortunately, even when both the Windows versions and Chrome versions match, sometimes the behaviors reported are different. We are looking into these. Please keep reporting them.

Thanks

jamesg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i have to press play then right click and press play on that menu to get a video to work.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me to the list of users that are having HTML5 video issues.

Using the latest release version of Firefox (v32.0.3) on Win8.1, all that happens when you press the play button on an HTML5 video on the site is that the screen dims.

The only way to get them to play is to, as the previous poster mentioned, right click and choose play from the menu.

There is also the long-standing, re-occurring problem of the video often stopping part-way through playing, requiring a re-load of the page.

I don't believe it's a memory or bandwidth problem at my end as I have 32GB of RAM and 162Mb broadband. Then again I only have 2GB RAM on my graphics card, could that be a factor?

Avatar image for deactivated-61f341f558336
deactivated-61f341f558336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just dinkin' around, I saw that the same issue as the op appears in the PS4's browser which played HTML 5 vids like a charm until recently.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably the wrong place to ask this but I don't frequent the Gamespot forums and saw this thread pop up, has anyone had trouble with the Gamespot player? I assume it's all based on the same player as it's all the same dev team now. I tried watching the Looking Back on Gamespots 10/10 Reviews video with Jeff and the pre-ad plays just fine but when it gets to the actual video it's laggy as hell on all quality settings.

This also got me thinking, I wouldn't mind if GS video content that included the GB guys floated over here, the way I see QL's are on GS now.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishinfoulux
@jamesg said:

i have to press play then right click and press play on that menu to get a video to work.

I don't quite understand. I'm right clicking and nothing is happening.

HTML5 player also not working for me. Not sure why.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By monetarydread

I am stuck with a 1Mbit connection so streaming is not really an option and unfortunately the progressive and HTML 5 are not working correctly. I can click the play button, then the player removes the ability to change settings and just hangs on a black screen. After waiting ten minutes the screen still does nothing so I am guessing it is not a problem with the speed of my connection.

Notes:

• A just formatted and re-imaged SSD with a fresh, fully updated Windows 8.1 (zero chance of bit-rot, registry errors, or viruses)
  • All drivers are up to date
  • Flash, silverlight, and all browser plugins were updated this morning.
  • Kawaii codec pack (my guess as being the issue??? maybe? Edit: Nope, removal of the codec pack did nothing to help)
  • Same issue on both Firefox and Chrome (newest stable builds), I have yet to try IE
  • A firefox clean reload of the page (Shift+ Reload Page button) does not fix the problem.
  • The video I am having trouble with is the latest Demo Derby, maybe the fact its premium is an issue? I haven't checked other videos yet.
  • I do not have adblock on my browser

Edit: My ISP just updated us to a 2.5Mbit connection and the issue is now gone. Maybe the player just does not respond well to slow internet connections.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By rorie

@tsubomi would be the one to ask about this but unfortunately she's out of the office this week.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It works for me but videos are washed out, I tested this on Spookin' With Scoops: 10/07/2014 on Chrome.