Images being compressed

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fetchfox

When I'm uploading images to the forum they are compressed when displayed. By this I mean that the image you see when clicking on it, even opening the link i a new tab, is smaller than the one uploaded. In this topic i uploaded several pictures. If opened they only display at 960x540, while the same uploaded image on my profile is 1920x1080. So, whats up here? Something I'm not getting? The uploaded images are .png if that helps in any way.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Same or similar here.

I've uploaded a bunch of 2560 x 1440 screenshots and they're all being resized to 960 x 540! What's going on?

PS: tagging images doesn't work anymore either.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Maybe @jslack might know about the current state of image compression.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any updates?

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jslack

Hey there,

@bane@fetchfox I'm looking at this. Will get back to you shortly.

Edit: So, all images uploaded through the forums, are put through a sizer "scale_super" with those image constraints. It keeps our webservers from having to serve 10MB image sizes, and bring us to crippling performance. We can't support unlimited file sizes, but we could offer large image support. I don't think asking for 1080 is crazy, will just have to run it by designers.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jslack: Thanks, glad it's being checked out. It was never a problem before though, the constraint has to be more recent (perhaps within the last three-four months).

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: Thanks for the update. Would it be possible to limit by file size and not image resolution? 1080 is on its way out as far as PC games are concerned so a 1080 limit isn't going to do much for those of us that have already moved on to 1440/1600/4K monitors.

I've got some 1440 screens of Dragon Age waiting to upload. The PNG files range from 2-6 MB each while the JPG versions range from 1-3 MB each.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@fetchfox@bane Ya, I would like to support higher resolutions. Some of it is a design decision, as far as the gallery is concerned (a better gallery is coming!). We'll see what we can do, I too would like high resolution images.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bane

@jslack: Thanks for looking into it, duder.