Is your chat avatar messed up?

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By laika

We recently started caching user avatars to make the chat more scalable. Some of you may find that your avatar is, uh, wrong.

Please post here if that's the case! Also, include whether your avatar is out-of-date, missing, or something you've never seen before, as well as the last time you changed it. This will help us debug this immensely.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

Mine was just out of date. Changed about a week ago.

OlRattyG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mine shows it as missing.

majid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My chat avatar is out-of-date and was changed on the 9th of April.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Mine is an image that I've never seen before, and I'm pretty certain that the last time I changed my avatar was for Christmas 2012, so nearly a year and a half ago. I certainly haven't changed it recently.

This is the image that's showing up. I can't even figure out what it is.

EDIT: It think I've figured out what it is. It's an image of Daft Punk. Which I may have uploaded to the site many moons ago for some reason. It's certainly never been my avatar, though.

EDIT Again: OK, I'm pretty sure it's this image. Which I uploaded to the site in 2009, and has never been my avatar.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah my chat avatar is wrong. Specifically its out-of-date by like a couple weeks I think. The one that is currently showing up I used from July of last year until sometime earlier this month when I switched to my new one. Hope this helps.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

My chat avatar is currently something that was never used to begin with; It's displaying as this image which I uploaded a long time ago, but never set as my avatar before. I don't remember when exactly I changed it to my current one, but it was probably late last year or earlier this year.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish

My chat avatar is something I've never used before. I changed to my current avatar after christmas

SithToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mine is wrong! I changed mine to my current one about a month ago. (March 27, 2014) The avatar I have in chat is my previous one!

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aska

Mine is out-of-date, changed it a little over a week ago.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Mine is wrong. It's some picture I've never seen or used before. I last changed my avatar on February 28th.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

Yep. Mine was showing some random image of Big Boss that I've definitely something I've never seen before. The last time I changed my avatar was some time in January when I switched from my santa hat avatar to my standard avatar.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Seroth

Mine is now showing as boxart from Body Harvest. That has never been my avatar before, but my original avatar is related to the game. I don't remember ever changing it.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By UncleDisco

My avatar in chat is Johnny Sasaki. I'm pretty sure it was one of the first thing I added to the site. Never used it as an avatar though.

Edit

Yup totally was... This is the one it's showing in chat:

No Caption Provided
firehawk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My avatar is currently shown as a broken image file. I haven't changed it since I set it up years ago.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

MC_Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My avatar is shown as a broken image file as well. Just changed it from the default today.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my avatar is out of date.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The chat was displaying my older avatar.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a530ec4d635
deactivated-60a530ec4d635

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My avatar is out of date.

Avatar image for ghost_of_perdition
Ghost_of_Perdition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My chat avatar is showing a picture of doomguy I uploaded back in 2008. The last time I changed it was in July.

Carteret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

out of date, changed yesterday? Ish?

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone -- we've narrowed down two specific issues and will hopefully have fixes up soon.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#24  Edited By vigorousjammer

Yup, my chat avatar is messed up.
It's showing a random image I've never uploaded.

I changed it within the past month, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So I updated my avatar over a week ago and it is still showing my very first one not even the last one I had. I tried logging out/in and resetting the image. It shows up fine everywhere else but the chat.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine is out of date, and I think I last changed my avatar about 2 weeks ago.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724 said:

So I updated my avatar over a week ago and it is still showing my very first one not even the last one I had. I tried logging out/in and resetting the image. It shows up fine everywhere else but the chat.

Is this your previous avatar (Noctis)? http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/21/210224/avatar.jpg

I'll try to get it sorted out for you.

Mine is out of date, and I think I last changed my avatar about 2 weeks ago.

Please confirm that this looks okay: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/11/117948/avatar.jpg

--

Avatars are being cached for performance reasons. Chat gets such high load that we can't have our application servers responding to avatar requests from everyone connecting at once, so they're sent directly from the CDN. Unfortunately, this means we have to deal with several layers of cache optimization that we don't have direct control over: Cloudfront, Akamai and your browser. We'll look into ways to improve the accuracy of the caching, but there will always be the possibility that your chat avatar is out-of-date for some indeterminate period after you change your avatar on the site.

There were also previously issues with the daemon that handled these uploads, that led to the reports above, but those are hopefully(?) ironed out.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika: My very first one is Noctis but I changed it to an image with "the magic touch" this is the one that I would like to be using. It works fine on forums and everywhere besides the chat.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724 said:

@laika: My very first one is Noctis but I changed it to an image with "the magic touch" this is the one that I would like to be using. It works fine on forums and everywhere besides the chat.

It should be up-to-date now. You may have to visit that URL and manually refresh it to see it.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika: Tried refreshing in the chat now it still showing Noctis

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I need to change mines size

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika: I don't know what I'm experiencing has anything to do with what happened in this thread, but I just noticed that I don't have my profile picture in the chat. I just have the default profile picture. I have no idea when I changed it. I've tried clearing my cache, using different browsers, but it did nothing.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meltac said:

@laika: I don't know what I'm experiencing has anything to do with what happened in this thread, but I just noticed that I don't have my profile picture in the chat. I just have the default profile picture. I have no idea when I changed it. I've tried clearing my cache, using different browsers, but it did nothing.

Your avatar should be at this location, but it appears to be corrupted (the server responds as if it's there, and that it's an image, but it's completely empty). I would try re-uploading your avatar and checking that URL within a couple hours (the chat version is uploaded on a delay).

If that doesn't work, you'll have to ping someone else, as I don't work at CBSi anymore. ;)

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@meltac: Hey man,

For next chat, check it out and let me know if it's working. I flushed your image from edge cache, so we'll see if it worked!

trucksimulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine is missing in chat. :(

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mine is also missing. I used the same one for about 2 years and only changed it for a while at Christmas.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sigspec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After I upgraded from silver to gold it's just showing the default image. I've tried changing it on my user page without effect.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uggghhh. This is something that came up about a month ago but whenever we try to figure out what's causing it it stops happening. I know for a fact that if your profile is edited for some reason, there's a chance your avatar will get jacked up. That also means that if your avatar is jacked up there's a good chance that if you do something to edit your profile your avatar will be fixed. We are trying to fix this for real.

Sorry, we suck.

trucksimulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: I did several times and it didn't work. I'll try again before UPF today.

ames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ames

hey I dunno if this thread is the right one, but my avatar has never shown up in any chat ever, and I've had an avatar since forever D:

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an issue with the way the chat code is referencing user images before a resize is triggered, due to it manually manipulating the path, instead of hitting real paths that do some regeneration on that end. I'll make a fix for this.

ames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: nice, my avatar works now :D