#1 Posted by bsstephan (21 posts) -

I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a legitimate bug. I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything about it, so maybe I'm just out of my mind or have a weird expectation.

When I click the "jump to last post" » on a thread, two things don't happen:

1. I don't actually jump to the last post. For example, a link of .../chat-emoticon-guide-1471098/?page=3#105 doesn't jump to post number 105 as there's no anchor tag "105". I noticed that the links on the messages themselves work, e.g. .../chat-emoticon-guide-1471098/?page=3#js-message-7367735 jumps to that post.
  2. Neither link above marks the thread as read for me, i.e. the thread is still in bold in the board list. The only thing that marks a thread read is if I click the title of the thread (.../chat-emoticon-guide-1471098/#105) but that doesn't even go to the right page.

Am I just doing it wrong somehow?

#2 Posted by billymagnum (725 posts) -

i have that problem too. its 50/50 whether or not it takes me to the actual last post

#3 Posted by DeF (4808 posts) -

That has been a thing for months and months and months.

#4 Posted by bsstephan (21 posts) -

Well poop. How do people work around this, then, either conceptually or actually?

#5 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (987 posts) -

It has never marked a thread as "read" for me when i use the >>. But it will normally take me to the last post, unless its a long thread, then it seems like the bigger the thread the more wrong it gets. Normally on a somewhat big thread it will be off by like a page or two, but on some of the more massive threads it will be off by like ten pages.

The only "fix" is just clicking on the thread like normal which will mark it as read, the use the page numbers to jump to the last page and scroll down.

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

"Mark as read" is not and has never been a feature on Giant Bomb. It just relies on your browser to remember which URLs you visited.

The last page button doesn't work because it makes an incorrect assumption about the post number of the last post. If there are currently 500 posts in a thread, the site will try to bring you to post 500. But if the thread has 100 deleted posts, the last post is actually #600. So you haven't arrived at the last post at all. This should be fixed by... doing something other than what they're currently doing.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (8552 posts) -

Wait, I've never seen "mark as read" as a feature. I think that's just a browser thing for you.

As for last page button, well, you luckily get placed to the last page of a thread relatively often. Works alright.

#8 Posted by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

I think its because comment gets deleted and I think that messes up the threads . I think I have no clue if that s it

#9 Posted by bsstephan (21 posts) -

"Mark as read" is not and has never been a feature on Giant Bomb. It just relies on your browser to remember which URLs you visited.

The last page button doesn't work because it makes an incorrect assumption about the post number of the last post. If there are currently 500 posts in a thread, the site will try to bring you to post 500. But if the thread has 100 deleted posts, the last post is actually #600. So you haven't arrived at the last post at all. This should be fixed by... doing something other than what they're currently doing.

I don't know if I agree with the experience described in either of these points, or we're talking about something different.

"Mark as read" isn't a thing per se, indeed, but something is making the thread link in my Watched Topics list bold, and then not bold after I click into it a certain way. I can click the >> all day and the title of this thread in my list remains bold, and then once I click on the title (rather than the >>) once, when I go back to the Watched Topics list, it's not bold anymore. Indeed, it relies on a cookie (presumably) or something else in the particular browser and when I go to a different browser it's still bold, but it's still weird and inconsistent to me. If both links just made the thread not-bold, that'd be good enough.

You and the other posters are probably right about the last page button and the count of actual deleted posts, but the problem is beyond that. Here's the URL for my >> link, for this thread, right now:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/jump-to-last-post-not-working-nor-marking-thread-a-1484594/?page=1#7

There is no anchor on the page with a name of "7". It takes me to the right page, but that link just doesn't jump down to the bottom of the page. If I hover over message #7, here's the URL I get:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/jump-to-last-post-not-working-nor-marking-thread-a-1484594/?page=1#js-message-7377464

That works, because there's an anchor with that name to jump to at the bottom of the page. If that was the link for >>, everything would work great. They would probably still need to solve your deleted posts case, to make it start at the right page, but using the right anchor name would jump the page to where things think I left off.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too new and haven't come to accept the... idiosyncrasies of this forum, but both things just feel like bugs to me.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

I have never used the Watched Topics list. However, when you go to the last post of a thread that has deleted posts into it, it doesn't actually go all the way to the last post. How far back it goes seems to depend on how many comments were deleted. For instance, when the Anime Discussion Thread got pretty far along, going to the last page actually took you three or four pages behind the last page. This is why it's been restarted a few times.

If this isn't what you're asking, or at least one of the things that you're asking about, then I'm completely confused.

#11 Edited by bsstephan (21 posts) -

Putting aside the "behind the last page" issue, which I understand how that calculation of the last page can get wrong:

I interpret "jump to last post" as "I'm going to send you to the start of the most recent post in the thread", like the browser is scrolled most/all of the way to the bottom of the page because that's where the last post is. When I click the >>, I get the top of the page which contains that last post, rather than having that last post right in front of me. I have to scroll. It's not earth-shattering, it just feels like something else is intended, or the language is off. Maybe I'm just trying to use it for something it's not, and I'm hung up on how it's described. I'm fine with that answer (but then my harping on it becomes a feature request instead, haha).

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

@bsstephan: I agree that making the full ID be anchor seems like it would work best, but there are probably performance issues that need to be considered. The post count we're shown isn't even guaranteed to be accurate: it's just a counter that gets blindly incremented and decremented when posts are added and deleted. Because performance.

Performance is a bigger priority accuracy, and if it is made to be more accurate they will have to make sure it's just as performant.

I think they used something along the lines of page=last#replyform on the old site. That way the forum list didn't even need to know what the last post is. It let the forum topic itself figure that out when needed based on accurate information.