Kodi addon not working in Kodi v16.0

trumad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trumad

I just updated to Kodi 16.0 and the GB addon doesn't work. It opens, but no folders are displayed.

I uninstalled the addon, and installed the latest version from https://github.com/jimporter/giantbomb-kodi/releases (Nov 22 2015) but the issue persists.

Is it likely to be updated for the new version of Kodi? Or is this just me? I'm using OSMC on Raspberry Pi2, so I'm probably in a minority.

I installed openelec, which is running kodi v14. I won't bother updating Kodi ever again, as updating kodi always just seems to break stuff and doesn't add any nice features. Now I have a functioning version of BBC iplayer too, which didn't work since Kodi v15!

croon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same issue here on Kodi 16. Any news on this?

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tested with the Openelec 7 Beta the GB plugin isnt working.

KRiSX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KRiSX

just bumped the older thread... i had this working no problem (5.0a2 release from jimporter) but as of yesterday it isn't working for me and the logs are showing a lot of python errors :(

FYI, i'm not on a RPi, running 3 windows systems using Kodi 16 (2 of which were updated from old installs, 1 fresh) using a MySQL backend

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm no streaming wizard or anything, but I'm not certain this is the right place to post bug reports for a third party plugin for a third party service? You might want to try posting a bug report here: https://github.com/jimporter/giantbomb-kodi/issues

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@pkmnfrk said:

I'm no streaming wizard or anything, but I'm not certain this is the right place to post bug reports for a third party plugin for a third party service?

Well... It kinda is. GB radically changed their API and structure for purely internal reasons. There's no altruism to the modifications. They're a business, they're welcome to do so.

I'm not going to get on a soapbox about why, but to me (and only me), I'd rather my paying subscribers have access to my content with some non-paying leeches tagging along instead of having only some of my paying subscribers accessing the content and none of the leeches.

I've been basically quiet on the forums about this switch, but I don't watch videos anymore because Kodi is my primary media center. It's the reason I still subscribe. I've been a paying member since paid memberships were offered. I've never once downloaded the ad-free version of the podcast, because I don't mind listening to ads. I still have all my t-shirt codes.

If the Kodi add-on isn't working by the time I'm up for renewal in the summer, I honestly can't think of why I'd bother to renew. I'll still listen and be a fan, but unless I'm buying a mattress, they most likely won't see any monetary advantage to my patronage. I probably won't just throw my money away.

Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way. Third-party or not, it's a solution that a lot of subscribers want and use. Giant Bomb has absolutely benefited from it's existence, and has even touted all of the avenues to their content.

Since GB made the changes and compatibility is now broken, they should have a vested interest in seeing these plug-ins fixed and their engineers should be offering as much assistance to the plug-in developers as possible.

You'll note the number of weasel words like "should" because, I don't think Giant Bomb has any obligation in this matter. But neither do the plug-in developers. They don't get paid, and they didn't break compatibility.

No one has an obligation here. Not Giant Bomb, not the coders, and not the subscribers. We have no obligation to re-up. That's why I think, perhaps, they should care.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BlaineBlaine

@szlifier said:

Well, they've certainly been working together to make it work after the change but something must've gone wrong and it hasn't been updated.

https://github.com/jimporter/giantbomb-kodi/issues/4

Absolutely. I'm just saying that Giant Bomb should be made aware as they likely have an interest.

I'm not trying to demonize anyone here... engineer, site or corporation.

Normally, changes to an API are a calculated move, and the calculations need to include some attrition. Either minimized functionality, or loss of device support.

There's a chance Kodi might be the latter and not the former.

I wouldn't blame the plug-in developers if they don't care to update (again, no one is paying them to do this work). Giant Bomb is being paid, and theoretically could write their own plug-in, but the number of users they are likely to lose without Kodi? Let's say it's me and 9 other people. It wouldn't be worth it for them to dedicate a resource to retain that revenue.

It's a shame, really.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By szlifier

@blaineblaine: I'm sure there's a lot of users (even Premium members) who don't visit forums or the site and consume the content through various plugins/devices.

GB used to provide their own apps and plugins before the CBSi aquisition. Some of those projects were picked up by the community and they've seen some updates over the years. This API change is very drastic for all of these projects and not everything survived. Hell, even Video Buddy is having a hard time with the change and it is the most popular one of those AFAIK.

It's very sad to see people coming to the forums just to say they can't consume the content the way they used to and are giving up on it all together. Shit happens.

My Windows Phone can't even play videos on the site now. Thankfully I don't have a lot of time to kill on my commute anymore...

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pkmnfrk said:

I'm no streaming wizard or anything, but I'm not certain this is the right place to post bug reports for a third party plugin for a third party service?

Well... It kinda is. GB radically changed their API and structure for purely internal reasons. There's no altruism to the modifications. They're a business, they're welcome to do so.

...etc...

No one has an obligation here. Not Giant Bomb, not the coders, and not the subscribers. We have no obligation to re-up. That's why I think, perhaps, they should care.

This is all true! I'm just saying that the developer is much more likely to see the bug report on their Github page, for which they get notifications for everything, than in this forum, for which they do not.