Large videos only downloading partially

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By css_switchfoot

I don't think this bug is on Giantbomb's end. I just wanted to make a post for other people having this issue.

The issue: large videos tend to "complete" at a certain size, usually just over 2GB, resulting in a video that cuts off, while Chrome reports them as finished.

Sometimes this can be avoided by downloading a lower quality version, but this only works due to the file size now being smaller than 2GB. The source of the problem seems to be a combination of downloading to NTFS drives that are not the main drive of the machine and code in Chrome's backend completing the download due to a bug in file writing and cache code. This bug has been ongoing in Chrome off and on for years.

The way to fix it is to use a different browser to download the video. Firefox used to have a similar bug for me, but it appears they fixed it. IE works for me right now. I've run into this issue a lot and I finally found a Chrome bug report about it.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=334392

I download a lot of the videos on this site to watch when I go on deployment and I don't have internet, and I've hit this big consistently with large videos. Anything on the "high" quality setting would cut off past the 2 hour 20 min mark. After testing out downloading different qualities I finally figured out it was Chrome improperly marking the download as complete with no error message whenever the file size got over the 2GB mark. The strange thing is, that it seems to come and go depending on my internet source also. I move around a lot, due to being in the Navy, and I've been in hotels, internet cafes, or wifi hotspots where this isn't an issue for me. Right now its back for me, so I did some digging. I hope this helps someone out who has a similar problem.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Awesome, I don't tend to download videos, but have noticed some problems like this in the past. Thanks for all the info, you're a true duder.

BeardDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks duder! I will try this out now. It has been driving me crazy! I usually download a "high" version of a video and then if it stops working I would have to just go back and watch the rest of it on the site. I will down load some videos in Safari and report back in.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@css_switchfoot: Thanks for this. We've had reports from users in the past about downloading large video files and I always point people to browser issues - your solution seems good, so thanks.