MGScanlon 4 Part 14 HD mp4 broken?

fatgeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hope this is the place for this, sorry if it isn't.

I'm not sure if this is on my end or not but I've tried downloading part 14 of MGS4 in HD three times now, and every time it won't play in any media player I try it on. VLC, WMP, Quicktime, and Winamp. It tries to play in Quicktime, but the video is in slow-mo, and stuttering, while the audio sounds nice, but cuts in and out, then crashes the player. The icon for the file isn't even a proper thumbnail like the other MGS4 files.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/metal-gear-scanlon-4-part-14/2300-10608/

I downloaded the HIGH quality version and it seems to work fine.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@fatgeezer: Strange. Working for me here. Anyone else having this issue?

fatgeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I tried for a fourth time just to check, and it still didn't play.
Not sure what the issue is, but it might be just me. All the other vids I've gotten have been fine.

Either way, the HIGH quality version works fine, so I'll just keep it.Thanks again.

evil_gordita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can confirm that Windows Media Player will refuse to play it. VLC and Firefox will play the file for me, but there's an encoding glitch at the 9 second mark which both players eventually recover from. I didn't keep playing beyond that to see if there are any other encoding errors.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evil_gordita: Ah ok, thanks for looking. I was testing using the browser's html5 support which plays it fine in Chrome. If there's a video encoding issue, the video guys will have to take a look.

evil_gordita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: I download all Giant Bomb videos and watch them in Windows Media Player exclusively. I knew that file was busted for a while now, but have been too lazy to do much about it. It wasn't until @fatgeezer posted this thread that I felt inclined to try it in other players.

Usually when it's a bad encode, the video is busted in all media players, but this one seems to be more or less okay in some. I'm particularly baffled why it works in VLC for me but not for @fatgeezer. Maybe we have different versions installed?

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evil_gordita: Could be different VLC version, or different VLC settings. Would have to ask our video guys to look at this, I can't do much with it.

evil_gordita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: Pfft, passing the buck to someone else. I know how you corporate people work ;).

But seriously, I knew that already. I was just passing on some (useless I guess) background. I was already way behind on watching MG Scanlon anyway so I'm not in so much of a hurry. (plus, now I know I can watch it in VLC)

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can confirm that something is wrong with the _4000.mp4 version.

It breaks around 0:00:09 and WMP takes a while to recover from it, in VLC the audio is cutting out and Chrome just gives up.